Wind Spirit - Things I wish I had known

SailingHigher

1 hour ago, mnocket said:

Interesting.  Why is that?  I understand that light packing is considered a virtue by some, but to me it's not really a concern.  For the most part, my luggage is handled by others.  The only inconvenience is waiting to pick it up at the airport baggage carousel -  a very minor inconvenience as I'm a relaxed traveler who doesn't schedule myself such that I must run from place to place.  An inconvenience to me would be having to worry about laundering clothes in order to dress for dinner, but that's just me.  Everyone is different, so there's really no need to feel sorry for people traveling with giant suitcases.  We get along just fine🙂

Hey, whatever floats your boat (hehehehehe).

For me, I just hate carting stuff around and it is more likely I’ll lose something. I’ll check the backpack and have a medium-ish tote for the stuff I need want/need with me. I am taking multiple types of transports for this trip (train/plane/sailboat) and like to toss it on my back opposed to dragging it. Anyway, your points are valid about not handling it often for the flights.

And light packing a virtue? Nah, just a way of looking at things. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mnocket said:

Interesting.  Why is that?  I understand that light packing is considered a virtue by some, but to me it's not really a concern. 

At the risk of taking the discussion further off-topic(s), I'll confess that our recent trip caused me to lose all sympathy for heavily-loaded travelers. (This is ironic because I always check a big bag and bring too much XXL clothing along.) We connected in LAX and passed through the Bradley Terminal around 9 p.m. on a Tuesday night. It was a remarkable scene with long lines and ample confusion. Many travelers had at least three full-size suitcases plus carry-on bags. Others had several large cardboard boxes on luggage carts, including boxes labeled for flat-screen TVs. Beyond the long checked luggage lines at dozens of gates, travelers were backed up across most of the terminal at each of the two escalators required to get to TSA security screening. The guard at the first escalator turned us around because our passes said TSA Pre-check. After wading through the other long line at the opposite escalator, the other guard tried to give us the opposite order. We pleaded for mercy and finally made it beyond the bedlam to the next set of lines. I guess I should be thankful that no one on our trip tried to stuff any flat screens into overhead compartments or their Windstar cabins. <grin>

On 6/26/2023 at 9:24 AM, makai 7 said:

Does wind spirit offer buoyancy compensation vests- inflatable vest to help you stay on top of the water?

When we were on the Wind Spirit in 2020, the water platform had a large floating mat and individual “noodles” for buoyancy 

• 1 month later...
On 6/22/2023 at 2:33 PM, Piaa said:

@coolbluegreenseas our first Windstar and the September 7th 11 night with 3 days prior and 2 nights post - so excited.  If I can get us to 2 suitcases (1 each) and a carry on I will be happy LOL... I so admire you.  

I guess my problem is I don't know how "dressy" Windstar is at night (we usually sail SeaDream and sometimes Azamara or Celebrity ) so I know I will just keep adding stuff as "what's one more dress? OK two more dresses and an extra top but now I need shoes" etc, etc.  The good news is I just chopped all my hair off so that cuts out all my curly hair products so there is half a suitcase right there 😂 

From the Windstar website under General Information:

"If you’re dining in Amphora, Stella Bistro, or Cuadro 44 by Anthony Sasso in the evening, slacks or non-distressed jeans are appropriate, paired with collared, button-down or polo shirts, or fashion tops or blouses. Skirts with nice tops, casual dresses and sundresses are also good choices. Dress shoes, nice sandals or stylish athletic casual shoes round out your evening wardrobe. Depending on your destination you may wish to pack shorts, hats, flip flops and t-shirts, but please reserve them for your daytime activities."

We did Wind Surf for 17 days in the southern Caribbean and dress for dinner was as listed above. My hubby & I, along with another couple, are booked on Wind Spirit for Sep 7 to Sep 18. 

Edited by hikerbiker
corrected info
  • Like 2

On 8/2/2023 at 6:14 PM, hikerbiker said:

From the Windstar website under General Information:

"If you’re dining in Amphora, Stella Bistro, or Cuadro 44 by Anthony Sasso in the evening, slacks or non-distressed jeans are appropriate, paired with collared, button-down or polo shirts, or fashion tops or blouses. Skirts with nice tops, casual dresses and sundresses are also good choices. Dress shoes, nice sandals or stylish athletic casual shoes round out your evening wardrobe. Depending on your destination you may wish to pack shorts, hats, flip flops and t-shirts, but please reserve them for your daytime activities."

We did Wind Surf for 17 days in the southern Caribbean and dress for dinner was as listed above. My hubby & I, along with another couple, are booked on Wind Spirit for Sep 7 to Sep 18. 

@hikerbiker - see you onboard soon as we are also on the Sept 7th Wind Spirit

• 2 weeks later...

I've done this cruise 6 times and just recently disembarked the end of June. Candles is a great experience with wonderful steaks!! The Maitre' D and his Assistant will start asking you about reserving during the first lunch. You can also find them and let them know you want to make reservations. They are in dress whites, can't miss them.  We prefer booking on nights that the ship is not moving...first choice is 1st night in Bora, then the very 1st night in Papeete.  You can also check in during the cruise to see if they have any openings left. Some people check at 7ish to see if there are openings or no-shows for that night.

Enjoy the cruise, I'd live on the ship if I could. Say Hi! to Sindar, He's a great waiter!!! I've been on 4 cruises with him. Tell him Hope said Hi!

• Thanks 1

On 8/16/2023 at 3:41 PM, Brownies52 said:

I've done this cruise 6 times and just recently disembarked the end of June. Candles is a great experience with wonderful steaks!! The Maitre' D and his Assistant will start asking you about reserving during the first lunch. You can also find them and let them know you want to make reservations. They are in dress whites, can't miss them.  We prefer booking on nights that the ship is not moving...first choice is 1st night in Bora, then the very 1st night in Papeete.  You can also check in during the cruise to see if they have any openings left. Some people check at 7ish to see if there are openings or no-shows for that night.

Enjoy the cruise, I'd live on the ship if I could. Say Hi! to Sindar, He's a great waiter!!! I've been on 4 cruises with him. Tell him Hope said Hi!

Thank you for the information. I am getting excited!

Regarding euro-style plugs: I presume you mean that the voltage was 240 volts, although there are some 120 volt plugs in Tahiti. The vast majority of cell phone chargers and laptop "bricks" (power supplies) say on their molded (black on black) nameplates that they are "100-240 volts 50/60 Hz." But a tiny number of devices (like the cheapest electric toothbrush charges, for example) are NOT dual-voltage.

(Windstar motor yachts have a bunch of 240V receptacles, and a single 120V receptacle in the cabins, not counting the electric razor, current-limited one in the bathroom.)

The pictured adapter makes it possible to plug an American 120 volt device into 240 volts. Although I use similar adaptors (not "converters"), it requires vigilance not to make a mistake.

I perceive in the same photo that the pins are smaller diameter than an actual "Shuco" euro-plug, and may not fit as tightly as real Shuco adapter. Since a phone or camera "wall-wart" is not grounded anyway, we don't have to ask if the pictured device actually makes the ground pin connection.

• 2 months later...

The last time we were on the Wind Spirit in February 2020, the in-cabin entertainment system consisted of a few channels of ship cameras and satellite channels.  There was also a DVD player and a ship DVD library.  Has the Wind Spirit been updated to the on-demand video system like on the Star-class ships?

We will be on the Wind Spirit for a three-week passage and wonder if we need to pack some DVD movies.

23 hours ago, sail4986 said:

The last time we were on the Wind Spirit in February 2020, the in-cabin entertainment system consisted of a few channels of ship cameras and satellite channels.  There was also a DVD player and a ship DVD library.  Has the Wind Spirit been updated to the on-demand video system like on the Star-class ships?

We will be on the Wind Spirit for a three-week passage and wonder if we need to pack some DVD movies.

Just off last week. Still only the few channels and the DVD rental at reception.