Hotel near cruise port of baltimore

juncos

Driving in to the port property is easy and well-marked, as long as you are in the correct lane as you approach.  Once you are in, you will be directed to baggage porters, then to parking kiosk (credit card only, $15 a day), then into a parking space. It's all outdoor parking, no garage. From there it's a short walk to the terminal doors.

As you go through the Fort McHenry Tunnel (I-95), make sure that you are in the right of the two tubes going South.  In other words, as you approach the tunnel, be in the slower half of the highway.  The tunnel recently went to toll-free so bring an EZ Pass or they will mail you the toll bill.  The cruise port is the first exit (just after the harbor) when you resurface to ground level.  Take a quick look to your left and you will see the ship.

There is very little near the cruise port so get shopping done before (the DE welcome areas are better than the NJ stops).  Crime is not a problem.You have to double back but I believe it is well marked.

We sailed out of Baltimore once.  Make sure during sail-away that you are on the starboard (right) side of the ship and you'll get a great view of Fort McHenry.  This was the vantage point of Francis Scott Key as he composed the poem that became our National Anthem.  And very quickly thereafter, you'll just barely pass under the Francis Scott Key Bridge on 695 (Baltimore's beltway).  It really is beautiful sailing down the Chesapeake Bay and seeing all the small quaint towns as dusk approaches.  Don't miss that!

Edited by MD_Dan
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, shipgeeks said:

Isn't Fort McHenry on the port side of the ship, once you are underway?

We like to be midships and high enough to see everything!

Shipgeeks is correct.  It is on the port (left) side.  I was thinking from the Baltimore harbor itself but the cruise port is on a different branch.  Its good to know people are paying attention  🙂

7 hours ago, MD_Dan said:

There is very little near the cruise port so get shopping done before (the DE welcome areas are better than the NJ stops).  

There is a Harris Teeter and a liquor store in the plaza that's basically across the street from the port. And a Courtyard, which was a nice place to spend the night before embarkation (I flew in, but I think they have a parking package as well).

6 hours ago, juncos said:

Anyone can  recommend a hotel near cruise port with parking and shuttle to port,Baltimore cruise port.

As suggested by 'shipgeeks', Trinity Reservations in Hamburg NJ has a good reputation. I used them twice in Baltimore, first time a BW in Elkridge, last year a Hampton Inn in Baltimore. 

The hotel shuttle in Baltimore only had 1 drop time at the port & 1 pick up time from the port. Do check the shuttle schedule with the hotel. If you book with Trinity, your card will be charged the day of booking and under a different business name. I had to cancel another Trinity reservation once & I received a full credit to my charge card.