Melbourne Port Guide.

Fletch1

Greetings,

I put together a Melbourne Port Guide a few years ago, but recently updated it "post covid" as there have been quite a few changes. It is mainly geard towards the cruiser who is in Melbourne for the day and want to do their own thing, but people staying in Melbourne pre or post cruise may be able to use it as well. 

Here it is......hope someone gets some ideas.

2023 Melbourne Port Guide.pdf

• Like 6
  • Thanks 3

14 hours ago, Fletch1 said:

Greetings,

I put together a Melbourne Port Guide a few years ago, but recently updated it "post covid" as there have been quite a few changes. It is mainly geard towards the cruiser who is in Melbourne for the day and want to do their own thing, but people staying in Melbourne pre or post cruise may be able to use it as well. 

Here it is......hope someone gets some ideas.

2023 Melbourne Port Guide.pdf 490.19 kB · 7 downloads

Great informaton Fletch. Just a couple of suggestions/observations. A Myki explorer pack and cards are usually available inside the cruise terminal just before exiting. The Collingwood Football Club headquarters is not the Holden Centre, it is now the AIA Centre as of March 2022.

6 hours ago, gdlamberth said:

Is it safe to assume that all your cost information is in AUD?  Are all/almost all vendors you list part of Australia's "tap 'N' go" culture?

Thanks,

Greg

Yes, AUD is the currency Australia uses. It would be unusual for vendors not to have Tap n go, even my home based hairdresser uses it.

Edited by possum52

4 hours ago, possum52 said:

Great informaton Fletch. Just a couple of suggestions/observations. A Myki explorer pack and cards are usually available inside the cruise terminal just before exiting. The Collingwood Football Club headquarters is not the Holden Centre, it is now the AIA Centre as of March 2022.

Thanks for your clarifications. I actually had the CFC HQ as the Lexus Centre, but then I thought "nah...that changed a little while ago I think". My Google search had it as the Holden Centre. Still behind. 

• Like 1

You may wish to add the Melbourne museum, Carlton Gardens and world heritage listed Royal Exhibition Building. Also across the road from REB is Gertrude Street, voted 2nd coolest street in the world.

6 hours ago, alwalaska said:

Thank you so much for putting this together.  I was to Melbourne on my own, but didn't have any great options picked out yet. 

I appreciate the hard work.

You are welcome.

16 hours ago, matamanoa said:

Thank you so much for all the information and work you put into this document.  It will certainly be a huge help in planning what is to be our first trip to Melbourne.

Barb

You are very welcome.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for this guide. I haven't read it in detail yet, but how many days would you estimate it would take to see the highlights of Melbourne? 

I'm considering spending in southern Australia between cruises and would like to know how much time to "budget" for Melbourne.

12 hours ago, DCThunder said:

Thanks for this guide. I haven't read it in detail yet, but how many days would you estimate it would take to see the highlights of Melbourne? 

I'm considering spending in southern Australia between cruises and would like to know how much time to "budget" for Melbourne.

Mmmmmm.....how long is a piece of string?....depends entirely on what you want to see and how much time you spend at each location. And also what you regard as "highlights". Maybe do a google search on the highly recommended sights to see and then decide what takes your fancy.

Personally, when we go into a city pre or post cruise, we allow anywhere between 4 and 7 days to see the things and locations which interest us.

Hope this helps...apologies if it sounds a bit wishy-washy.

15 hours ago, DCThunder said:

Depends on your interests.

Melbourne has the distinction of being the 'Sporting Capital of the World", the "Cultural Capital of Australia" and the city with the most parks and gardens within the city in the world. You can visit all these attractions using the worlds largest light rail (tram) network.

You could spend a month in Melbourne and not see everything worth seeing.

This may be of further help. https://www.visitmelbourne.com/

Edited by yarramar

1 hour ago, yarramar said:

Melbourne has the distinction of being the 'Sporting Capital of the World", the "Cultural Capital of Australia" and the city with the most parks and gardens within the city in the world. You can visit all these attractions using the worlds largest light rail (tram) network.

Thank you.  This is very helpful.  Based on your response in my other thread, I might just do Sydney, fly to Melbourne, and then on to Singapore and not worry about trying to see Perth.

23 hours ago, yarramar said:

21 hours ago, DCThunder said:

Thank you.  This is very helpful.  Based on your response in my other thread, I might just do Sydney, fly to Melbourne, and then on to Singapore and not worry about trying to see Perth.

I strongly agree with yarramar.....depends so much on your interests.

Perth is a beautiful city. If you have the time and opportunity, you should try and get over there. Particularly the Margaret River region.....just lovely. It is a 3 hour flight from the eastern side of the country though, which can be problematic for some.

• 1 month later...

Hey Cruisers:

As mentioned in Grand Princess October 26 Roll Call...

For those that are taking multiple sails out of Melbourne and don't feel liking checking in more that two bottles per cabin and/or one 24 pack of cans, I located two very close stores, one just up the street from the other.  One grocery and the other a liquor store for your restocking needs...

Grocery Store:  IGA Port Melbourne Plus Liquor, 78 Bay Street, Port Melbourne, VIC 3207

Liquor Store: First Choice Liquor Market Port Melbourne, 120-128 Bay Street, Port Melbourne, VIC 3207

Happy Sailing!!!!

• Like 1