Do any cruises start or end in Newcastle or Edinburgh?

We’d like to visit with some friends who live there, and ideally we could start or end a trip in Newcastle.  Upon searching I didn’t find much so I’m guessing I know the answer, still, there are no dumb questions, right? Thanks.

Quite a few cruises start in Edinburgh over the summer, mainly on the high end small ship lines like Windstar, Seabourn, Azamara, Regent and Oceania. Even a TA to Boston!

Newcastle only seems to have one, on August 29th on the Costa Favolosa, either 8 nights ending in Dover or 12 nights ending in Amsterdam.

24 minutes ago, gumshoe958 said:

Newcastle only seems to have one, on August 29th on the Costa Favolosa, either 8 nights ending in Dover or 12 nights ending in Amsterdam.

That's what I also initially saw from a big online cruise agent's website too, but it looks like there are some cruise lines that do have cruises ex-Newcastle but are not sold by that agent (namely Ambassador and Fred. Olsen).

That website also curiously doesn't have an option for cruises starting in Edinburgh even though it does have one for cruises ending there.

Unfortunately, you don’t give a lot of information about yourself (age, interests, cruise ship requirements and travel dates) so my answer is a bit of a generalisation. The main cruise line that has ships sailing regularly from both Newcastle and Rosyth (port for Edinburgh) is Fred Olsen. It is a British cruise line using older, smaller and more traditional ships but IMHO, as seasoned cruiser with experience of 16 different cruise lines, I find their ships comfortable with a British ‘country house’ feel. The major plus point for me is the fact that their ships have home ports in the north of England and Scotland and also, because the ships are fairly small, they do interesting and unusual itineraries with ports that are not easily accessed by the large ships.

If you do an internet search for Fred Olsen Cruise Line and go into their website there is a very easy to use cruise search facility which gives you the option to look at cruises that start in Newcastle and Rosyth.

We sailed from Newcastle in July 2022 on a cruise that took us to several ports in Norway and then right up to Longyearbyen in Svalbard and had a fabulous time….

Olden….IMG_0577.thumb.jpeg.b3e02ad76aca7e1c6ad680cdf4127e61.jpeg

IMG_0595.thumb.jpeg.36545bd22410bc72ec09348fc38b4ea5.jpeg

Honningsvag 

IMG_4339.thumb.jpeg.47640733670efb6adf861677e457b72b.jpeg

Midnight sunIMG_0612.thumb.jpeg.7553ba6ef55878f1e7b35c637191561c.jpeg

Longyearbyen IMG_4344.thumb.jpeg.d6a7cb2a59965035a038d5689b9fed88.jpeg