Beach Day - 9ppl December

lucyjlou

We are a group of nine people coming in on the allure of the seas. We will be on the island December 30. 
looks like 7am-5pm

there are several other ships in Port, but some of them don’t sound too large?

We have two women in their late 60s/early 70s, 1 boy who is 4, another 9, and our 15 YO daughter and then 2 couples in 40’s and we want to find a beach. 

some people in the party like to snorkel, but it isn’t a dealbreaker. We would definitely want to rent lounge chairs, and umbrellas. We would also like access to alcoholic, beverages and drinks for the kids, maybe food. One of the older ladies has some mobility issues. She can walk, just not really long distances.

Would we be better off taking the water taxi and going to the beach right there at front Street? Or taking a taxi somewhere like orient, etc.

I’m nervous because there are multiple ships in Port but I haven’t heard of some of them and they don’t list times. Do we really need to get off the ship at 7 AM to secure a Beach spot?

57FE2B07-DC77-4688-ABFD-72501A992092.png

9F4D0267-4DDD-479B-8145-E77D1101C8A6.png

4 hours ago, lucyjlou said:

I mean compared to your ship, which can accommodate over 6000 passengers, no, there wont be any larger than it but it will be a very busy day from the looks of it. The Queen Mary 2 is quite large with 2700 passengers and Nieuw Statendam with other 2700. Star Flyer and Wind Surf are much smaller-- typically those smaller ships will sometimes anchor at Marigot on the French side of the island. 

Would we be better off taking the water taxi and going to the beach right there at front Street? Or taking a taxi somewhere like orient, etc.

There's something to be said for proximity-- I haven't done the beach there but have walked along Front Street. Its a nice enough beach with chair rentals and plenty of access to things like bars, food, etc. It was very busy. 

Orient Bay Beach is a great option and much prettier/less busy but still has all the services etc. Worth mentioning that it is a clothing optional/nude beach and when we were there years ago there was plenty of that. So if the kids are shy might not be a great fit. It was definitely concentrated on one end of the beach so though I'm sure its avoidable if need be. 

I'm a big aviation nerd so have been to Maho a bunch. The Sonesta Hotel on the one end there does sell day passes so you could do that. Its definitely not as nice of a beach as Orient Bay and you do have the aircraft overhead but it can be fun. 

I’m nervous because there are multiple ships in Port but I haven’t heard of some of them and they don’t list times. Do we really need to get off the ship at 7 AM to secure a Beach spot?

It sounds like a busy day but your ship is the 800 pound gorilla the other ships are groaning at rather than the other way around. With 6000 passengers you'll be competing more with your own ship than the other ones so I would try to get off as early as you can. All of the beaches I mentioned above though are quite large (with the exception of Maho) and you should be able to get squared away. 

14 hours ago, lucyjlou said:

Maho was on my list too. How are the amenities there? As far as chair rentals and food and drink?

It definitely has the fewest amenities out of the three I mentioned. There are two basic beach restaurants (more like shacks) on either side that have bars and food. They provide a limited number of chairs-- its not a great beach setup. You can't have beach chairs in the middle of the beach where the flight path is. Maho is also quite narrow. The real draw here is to see the arriving aircraft flying over-- there are nicer beaches on the island otherwise. 

You do have the Sonesta Hotel on one end of it-- they do sell a limited number of day passes that include chairs at the pool, access to the pool and hotel facilities, etc. 

On 6/21/2023 at 2:52 PM, lucyjlou said:

We are a group of nine people coming in on the allure of the seas. We will be on the island December 30. 
looks like 7am-5pm

We have two women in their late 60s/early 70s, 1 boy who is 4, another 9, and our 15 YO daughter and then 2 couples in 40’s and we want to find a beach. 

some people in the party like to snorkel, but it isn’t a dealbreaker. We would definitely want to rent lounge chairs, and umbrellas. We would also like access to alcoholic, beverages and drinks for the kids, maybe food. One of the older ladies has some mobility issues. She can walk, just not really long distances.

57FE2B07-DC77-4688-ABFD-72501A992092.png

9F4D0267-4DDD-479B-8145-E77D1101C8A6.png

As one showed interest in Orient Beach, then consider Coco, book the day with beds in advance

https://www.cocobeach.restaurant

Walk from taxi to Coco is along flat terrain and children are welcomed.

Excellent food and drinks with a special menu for young ones.

Give them a call to discuss all one’s group requirements.  All will be met at Coco.