Caribbean Princess engine problem?

lindsaygal

I saw on Facebook that the Caribbean Princess was running on one engine and had to change its port schedule because of this. Does anyone know if this is something that they can fix once they are in port? We are set to board on Saturday and i'm wondering if anyone heard of any changes due to these issues or the expected weather. 

8 minutes ago, lindsaygal said:

I saw on Facebook that the Caribbean Princess was running on one engine and had to change its port schedule because of this. Does anyone know if this is something that they can fix once they are in port? We are set to board on Saturday and i'm wondering if anyone heard of any changes due to these issues or the expected weather. 

The roll call is not very active June 17-24, but you might post a message anyway to see what’s going on?

If you have a TA, contact them to see if they can check with PCL for you about any changes.  Did you check your itinerary on the website to see if it showx any changes?  Most of the time, we’ve only known about changes once underway.

That really can vary.

No one knows if the ship can be fixed, because no idea what the problem is.  

They certainly will address the issue once in port, if possible.

I show FLL 86 high with scattered thunderstorms on Saturday.  Friday looks good as far as weather right now.

Best of luck to you. 

The Caribbean Princess has six engines.

Losing power on five at the same time is not likely.

It has two generators, is that what you meant?

Looked on CruiseMapper. Currently making 13kt. Slower than one would think.

It was heading south for Amber Cove but nowheading west and bypassing.

Weather there is sunny, 86F and 6kt wind from the west. No problems.

Nothing on either of the Roll Calls. 

Clearly, there is something going on. 

Hope you get to enjoy your cruise!

Let us know if you learn of something, OK?

Edit: Just reported next port of call is Port Everglades, no reason given.

Edited by mtnesterz
  • Like 2

I have been conversing on Facebook with someone who is currently on the ship.  She said that they didn't stop at all in Amber Cove.  Were told at beginning of cruise (last Saturday) that there were mechanical problems (ship never said what the problem was) and they would be going at snails pace.  They have been late for ports and excursions have been cut short.    This apparently started on the previous cruise (June 10) and she was told this by people doing a b2b.  

Hopefully it is fixed by July 8!

• Like 1

Just got off the June 17-24 cruise. It is true that we did not stop at Amber Cove but because of high winds. We actually sailed there and made decision last minute. It is true that they were having “mechanical difficulties” and cut port times short. Also heard from b2b cruisers that the previous week was worse with two ports left out and a 30 minute blackout with no power, aircon, etc.

We stayed in the Grand suite off the back of the boat. Don’t know how many engines there should be but the smallest wake I have seen on a boat that size the last two days back to port. Maybe repairing other engine(s)? Of course we weren’t being informed of much and imo something should have been done earlier in the cruise to mitigate upset passengers when change to itinerary was announced. What is head scratching is that they gave a $100 obc late the last afternoon. Created a zoo on the ship the last evening.

Btw, room service was a disaster. Took hours for the app at times if ever arrived. Rarely got orders right even then. Substitutions for items often occurred. Calling In even from the grand suite we rarely got anyone to answer in room dining at all but our family had five rooms total so these experiences were a conglomerate from 15 people. None of our rooms had any aircon issues that we were worried about though that were reported on previous cruises.

We were on board June 10th through the 24th. Confirming txmanufan's account. On first leg she did make 21 knots going to Grand Cayman. It was on the overnight run from GC to Roatan that we developed the "technical problem" causing us to arrive very late.

We did make all ports on the first leg, just pretty late for some.

It was the oddest feeling when pushing off the dock (I think the port was Cozumel) we lost ALL power. We were sitting at an aft window in the Palm Dining Room when it happened. Thrusters were running, vibrating us quite a bit and suddenly everything was quiet and dark. Within a minute lights came on (emergency power I believe) but we were clearly drifting. Captain Lubrano made an announcement within five minutes saying there was a problem in the engine room and it would be fixed within 15 minutes. We continued to drift with the wind and/or current pushing us away from the dock for another 20 or so minutes. It started heating up in the dining room as the AC was off. The staff though took it in stride and finished serving our meals. I understand it was the galley that took it the worst with residual heat from the stoves not being removed by the AC system. Running through my mind was what would happen if she started drifting into a dangerous area. Not sure the port had tugs but I realized the anchors could be dropped in an emergency using good old gravity. I also realized that in the morning there was an emergency drill simulating a complete power failure so they could test the power backup systems. Good thing!

Anyway, power was restored and all was well for the rest of the trip.

Edited by beg3yrs

1 hour ago, texmanufan said:

Just got off the June 17-24 cruise. It is true that we did not stop at Amber Cove but because of high winds. We actually sailed there and made decision last minute.

From our view here, port information showed Amber Cove winds at 6 knots from the west. Cruisemapper showed the Caribbean's path, first heading roughly south toward the port, then an odd series of turns to the left forming a loop, then heading west-by-northwest toward Cuba. Then a slow speed of 13 knots. 

@beg3yrs That must have been very unsettling for all aboard.  Thank you both for sharing!

1 hour ago, mtnesterz said:

From our view here, port information showed Amber Cove winds at 6 knots from the west. Cruisemapper showed the Caribbean's path, first heading roughly south toward the port, then an odd series of turns to the left forming a loop, then heading west-by-northwest toward Cuba. Then a slow speed of 13 knots. 

@beg3yrs That must have been very unsettling for all aboard.  Thank you both for sharing!

The winds were forecast to be high at time of departure and the captain's announcement was very clear that yes, the weather was nice now but the forecast was dire for departure time.

We've previously experienced problems at ports with high winds. At Ushuaia we couldn't dock because another ship couldn't leave. There are no tugs at Ushuaia. We anchored that evening until the next morning when the winds died down and the other ship left. Then that evening we too were stuck!

In Stavanger we were stuck at the dock for almost 24 hours due to winds. Finally the next day the captain announced that another ship with handling characteristics similar to ours was going to give it a go with two tugs. If they made it, we would attempt it as well. There were lots of passengers watching and the other ship made it so we finally left. Of course the next port was canceled.