Mexican Riviera Independent Tours

workingmom200112

Hello fellow cruisers 🙂.  I will be cruising the the Mexican Riviera for the first time in November 2023.  When I visit the Caribbean I usually book tours with independent vendors, which I find my reading Cruise Critic.  For the Mexican Riviera I am finding very little information...so I went on an internet search.  I found a few tours that I am thinking about and wondering if anyone has any experience with the companies.  They are:

Cabo - Grayline Los Cabos

Puerto Vallarta - Puerto Vallarta Tours by Johann & Sandra

Mazatlán -  Mazatlán Red Truck

Or if anyone else has any recommendations that would also be great.  I am traveling with my family from age 3 to grandpa.  So not interested in adventure (no ATV or ZipLine) or wine/ tequila tasting. 

Thanks in advance! 

• Like 1

I have used Johann & Sandra once based on recommendations on this Forum.  They offer excursions in several ports.

I haven’t used Greyline or Red Truck.

Have you considered DIY?  In PV and Mazatlan, you can just grab a taxi or shuttle to downtown.  In Cabo, you can get a water taxi tour to the Arch and get dropped off at Medano Beach.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Mike45LC said:

Have you considered DIY?  In PV and Mazatlan, you can just grab a taxi or shuttle to downtown.  In Cabo, you can get a water taxi tour to the Arch and get dropped off at Medano Beach.

Thanks @Mike45LC  I have not considered going it on my own.  I get anxious just thinking out it 🤭

If it was just my hubby & I might.  But I have other family members with me and don’t want them to complain that they are bored.  

• Like 1

We've used johann & sandra tours in Mazatlan to go see the oceanside petroglyph park and a home cooked meal with a local family. Google Las Labradas tour.  We went with them March 2020 just before Covid shut everyone down. We had a great time with a professor guide and student assistant.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, canadjineh said:

We've used johann & sandra tours in Mazatlan to go see the oceanside petroglyph park and a home cooked meal with a local family. Google Las Labradas tour.  We went with them March 2020 just before Covid shut everyone down. We had a great time with a professor guide and student assistant.

Thanks @canadjineh

• 2 weeks later...

Consider the Observitorio 1873 in Mazatlan. You can book your tickets online or get them in the terminal to the right just as you walk inside. They had a very nice van waiting to take us up the hill to the old fort that has been turned into a museum of sorts. They have a bird sanctuary where you can go in and interact with them. They get comfortable with you and land on your head and shoulders. They have a lizard sanctuary, a guava garden and an open air restaurant overlooking all of Mazatlan.  The food was amazing and we sat in the shade with a cool breeze and enjoyed lunch. When we were finished (this port was a short stay) the van was waiting to take us back. Our group was least excited about this port excursion, but turns out everyone really enjoyed it. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

We just got off a seven day Mexico cruise and in Mazatian booked a pvivat van tour through Mazatuan Van Tours. It was very convenient and they all have none private tours. The driver was excelent, we took a tour up to the Tequila Factory. We had lunch at a great authintic Mexican resturant which is not included in our tour. It was a great day and we could recomment it. You can see them on trip advisor. 

• Thanks 1

On 7/4/2023 at 11:44 AM, marden1970 said:

@kismetiqueI was excited when I read your post and went to their website.  Unfortunately they are closed on Mondays, which is when our ship will be there.🙁

So sorry to hear that!  I don't understand why more attractions don't pay attention to the cruise schedules and adjust their days of operation to it.

• Thanks 1

The last two times we were in PV, we walked off the ship and there is a company that sells "city" tours.  It is in the "port" area so no need to walk out of the gates.  December 2022, we paid $35 per person.  It was me and hubby and four other folks.  We had a nice driver who spoke english and spanish to each of us. The tour was about 4 hours and we covered a lot of spots.  I think is it a great price, felt very safe and enjoyed it very much.  The vehicle was a large SUV.  My husband sat in the front seat next to the driver.  I sat behind him and in the bucket seat next to me was another person.  Three folks sat in the third row.  We were all very happy with our seats and no one ask to switch.  After we got back, we walked out of the port area and over to Walmart.  That was kind of fun in its own way.  Didn't buy anything because we did not have pesos. If you are looking for a simple, inexpensive thing to do, I highly suggest it.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 6/23/2023 at 7:36 AM, workingmom200112 said:

Or if anyone else has any recommendations that would also be great. 

If you have quite a bit of time in PV and want a unique beach experience, I HIGHLY recommend Quixmito.  If you look it up online the directions to get there say to take a bus half way then a Panga the rest of the way.  This adds about 45 min travel time to the beach.  So, if your party has no accessibility issues, go to the port in the middle of town, and just walk to the pier area.  It's very rudimentary but there will be a guy, or maybe several, selling panga's to the area beaches.  We paid $200 for all day, meaning the driver waited on the boat just off the beach for us and was there when we were ready to leave.  Quxmito is a beach not accessible by vehicle - the only way is to walk or 4 wheeler through the jungle or by panga.  We had the beach to ourselves and we got off right at Charly Bar so no walking through town.  Omar at Charly Bar is amazing and will take excellent care of you.  He even served beers right out in the ocean to our group.  The food was AMAZING and fresh - simply the best and it's served to you right on the beach to your lounge chair under an umbrella.  We were there in April and the water was cool but not too cold to play in.  When it was time to head back, we signaled the panga driver and he brought the boat to the shore, we hopped on, and 45 min back to PV.  Taxi back to the port.  Perfect private beach day!  

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

If I am not too late.

Try Vallarta Adventures. They are owned and run by a company that has outlets a in most stops in MX Riviera, and in the Caribbean also.  Each web site uses the town name and Adventures.  Your cruise may already use them for some excursions.  I don't know if they will pick up at the dock, ask them.  We were on land vaca's when we used them.

We have used them in PV, (zip lines and whale watching) and in Dominican Republic.  In most places they own the land, or water access, and have good guides who speak English.

Hi workingmom200112   Tour booking trivia -   At any given port, the "Tours by Johann & Sandra" is a third party excursion booking company.  They don't actually operate/run any excursions.  They do have a pretty good money-back-guaranty if the ship arrives late and you miss your tour.  

The flagship tour company used by the cruise lines is Cabo Adventures / Vallarta Adventures.  The contract they have with the cruise industry prevents them from selling any excursion to a cruise passenger if the cruise ship also sells that same tour.  This also trickles down to independent tour brokers like "Tours by Johann & Sandra".  Basically, if you see an excursion you like and the ship sells that excursion, you will likely find you have to book it through the ship

For Vallarta -  The taxi service within the port charges per person in US dollars and can only take you and your party away from the port.  They can't bring you back.  

The city taxi service that operates throughout the city can transport you anywhere in the city, even bring you back to the port but can't pickup passenger inside the port.  They charge per taxi ride (typically 4 passengers maximum).  They are supposed to charge in pesos and are regulated by zone.

And there is Uber.  You can book your ride using the app and pay for your ride within the app just like you would do back at home.

Whatever activity you choose . . .  Ship's excursions "may" a little more but do include all transportation and related fees.  Independent tours may be cheaper but you will have to get yourself and your party to/from the actual tour operator's office.  And in all cases, make sure somebody in your party has a watch set to the same time as the ship.  It is common for ship's time and Vallarta time to be different.

Enjoy!

Edited by MSN-Travelers
  • Like 2

Thank you for the taxi info. The comment regarding ships time and PV time being different caught my eye. Got my husband to agree to this cruise by promising we would golf in Mazatlan and PV. Wish the ship offered something, but since they don't, I am researching our options and transportation. If there is a time difference between ship and local time in PV I am assuming it is an hour? Is the local time ahead or behind ships time? That will be important when I book a tee time! If it matters we will be in PV 1/24/24.

Thanks for the info @MSN-Travelers!  I decided to just stick with the ships excursions.  Turns out that my family members I was worried so much about told me that they don't really want to do excursions.  They just want to relax or the ship.  🙂  So i only have to worry about me & hubby and he has to do what I decided.  😄 

Now I just have to wait until November!!  Happy cruising all. 

21 hours ago, nbist said:

Thank you for the taxi info. The comment regarding ships time and PV time being different caught my eye. Got my husband to agree to this cruise by promising we would golf in Mazatlan and PV. Wish the ship offered something, but since they don't, I am researching our options and transportation. If there is a time difference between ship and local time in PV I am assuming it is an hour? Is the local time ahead or behind ships time? That will be important when I book a tee time! If it matters we will be in PV 1/24/24.

It has been my experience, and reported by others, that nearly all ship's clocks are one hour BEHIND Vallarta local time.  This statement may be way off at this very moment because Mexico has decided they WILL NOT observe daylight saving time anymore.  I am in the central time zone (same as Vallarta) and they are one hour behind me as I type this)

This is how things typically go:  You sail on Pacific time; ships clocks move to Mountain time for Cabo and Mazatlan; ships clocks stay on Mountain time while in Vallarta putting them one hour behind Vallarta local time.  It is important that at least one member of your party has a watch set to ship's time. (I have no idea what is going on today but you won't have to deal with DST in January.). 

I can't offer any advice with a golf course, I don't play.  There are a number immediately north of the port in the Marina area.  I wouldn't suggest any course north of Paradise Village due to the distances and traffic patterns.  There is only one road running north from the airport and an accident can shut it down for hours.

Enjoy!

Edited by MSN-Travelers

3 hours ago, MSN-Travelers said:

It has been my experience, and reported by others, that nearly all ship's clocks are one hour BEHIND Vallarta local time.  This statement may be way off at this very moment because Mexico has decided they WILL NOT observe daylight saving time anymore.  I am in the central time zone (same as Vallarta) and they are one hour behind me as I type this)

This is how things typically go:  You sail on Pacific time; ships clocks move to Mountain time for Cabo and Mazatlan; ships clocks stay on Mountain time while in Vallarta putting them one hour behind Vallarta local time.  It is important that at least one member of your party has a watch set to ship's time. (I have no idea what is going on today but you won't have to deal with DST in January.). 

I can't offer any advice with a golf course, I don't play.  There are a number immediately north of the port in the Marina area.  I wouldn't suggest any course north of Paradise Village due to the distances and traffic patterns.  There is only one road running north from the airport and an accident can shut it down for hours.

Enjoy!

Thank you! That is very helpful. I had already decided on the Marina course so your comment regarding traffic and accidents cemented my decision. I had hoped that the rates I was quoted for a round of golf was in pesos, but no, it was USD. Ouch. 

Edited by nbist

A lot of people rely on their cell phones for time, instead of watches.  Your cell phone might auto-adjust its time, messing you up.  So while cruising, I set my phone to a specific city's time to match the ship's time. 

I ignore local time completely.  While I am ashore, I don't care if it is 3:00 or 4:00 with respect to "drink specials" or opening hours of a gallery.  All I care about is when I need to be on board, which is based on ship's time.  If I am on a tour, I use my stop watch/timer on the cell phone to be back on the tour bus on time.

As MSN-T pointed out, the ship's time is usually one hour BEHIND PV time.  So if you were told that "all aboard" is at 9:00 p.m., if you messed up, you would be back on board at 9:00 LOCAL time, which would be 8:00 p.m. SHIP's time.  So you missed an hour of cheap drinks, but you did not miss the ship!  

Good luck with the golf course times!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hubby and friends golfed at El Tigre golf course last November on a port stop.  He said it was about a 15 minute taxi ride to the course.  The concierge got them taxi to get back to the ship. They booked a 9 am tee time, ship docked at 8 am local time.  Got there in plenty of time.

Yeah, guess it was pricey—they paid about $200 per person for the course, cart and clubs.  But, the beer was cold and it was golf!  

They are scheduled to go again this November!