Current Wine List on Board Now

PGI GUY

2 hours ago, CKspring said:

Are stateroom alcoholic beverages included in the fare?

PV and above have four mini bottles of liquor and 2 cans of beer replenished daily. You can asked for any combination of whisky, rum, gin, and vodka. You can also asked for wine instead of liquor. Cocktails are not included.

Posted (edited)
48 minutes ago, LindaS272 said:

As for the stateroom, I’ve read that they will swap out the little bottles of alcohol for a bottle of the daily wine (red or white) and replenish when full. We have never done this. The mini bottles included are rum, whisky, gin, vodka. There’s also a couple of cans of beer, and then soft drinks, including tonic water.

PVs also get a nice large bottle of champagne.

We have always done the swapping out of liquor bottles for bottles of red wine.  We tried white but the refrigerators have never been cold at all, so the white wine wound up just above room temp, and I won't do ice in the white wine.  Red is fine.  The whites or reds need to be the ones they carry that cruise for the included wines (not the wines on the Wine menu).

We had a great steward the last time - I told him how much we enjoyed the German Volmer Red Wine (that we'd had on our river cruise) and he kept us supplied with it!

We've also swapped out the champagne for red wine as well at times.

Regarding the beer, I never care for the beers they have, so I have them swap out for the Norwegian Aegir IPA and Amber (from Flam, Norway).  Although usually have to use an ice bucket to cool them down.

Viking is quite flexible!

Edited by CCWineLover
  • Like 1

Has anyone ever seen ice wine listed? Likely not.  These are vintages made in small batches from grapes caught up in an early frost; picked quickly after then bottled.  We had some in Canada and it was a wonderful after dinner wine; somewhat sweet but not too sweet. It comes from B.C. or Ontario.  I did find some from New York state but not the same. I tried to find Canadian wines here in the States but to no avail.  All those import rules and regulations.

2 hours ago, 2blueyam said:

Innisklin ice wine is generally available in most places in the United States. It is rather expensive.

From Niagara.  If you like dessert wine, they make some of the best.  

• Like 1

We live less than 4 hours from Niagra On the Lake. While their ice wines are superb, their white wine are also excellent.  Canadian reds are mostly Cab Francs and Pinots -- okay but not world class.  We make a trip to the area every 3 or 4 years from Pittsburgh.  There are many wineries to choose from in-between the 2 lakes, Erie and Ontario.  Anyone needing recommendations, just ask.

Edited by beanpittsburgh
add city

On 8/31/2024 at 11:22 AM, lovetosew said:

Has anyone ever seen ice wine listed? Likely not.  These are vintages made in small batches from grapes caught up in an early frost; picked quickly after then bottled.  We had some in Canada and it was a wonderful after dinner wine; somewhat sweet but not too sweet. It comes from B.C. or Ontario.  I did find some from New York state but not the same. I tried to find Canadian wines here in the States but to no avail.  All those import rules and regulations.

Normally Ice wine is from Germany.

15 minutes ago, hutch1994 said:

Normally Ice wine is from Germany.

In Canada, I believe it was started by a German living in BC.  But ice wine production in BC and Ontario is a going concern.  

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, wine-wine-wine said:

And of excellent quality! 

Yes, indeed.  I recently read that Niagara ice wine has won awards at Europe's "Vinexpo".  I also read that some of the northern states in the U.S. are also starting to produce ice wine.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, millybess said:

Yes, indeed.  I recently read that Niagara ice wine has won awards at Europe's "Vinexpo".  I also read that some of the northern states in the U.S. are also starting to produce ice wine.

Wineries in the Finger Lakes in NY state have been producing ice wines for at least 35 years.  (Used to live in the area and visit wineries there frequently that many years ago!)  Probably significantly longer. 

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, bottomfeeder said:

Wineries in the Finger Lakes in NY state have been producing ice wines for at least 35 years.  (Used to live in the area and visit wineries there frequently that many years ago!)  Probably significantly longer. 

Yes. I remember that’s where I first saw them almost 30 years ago.