I am getting conflicting info about needing Travel/Medical Insurance to enter Vietnam (min coverage $10,000).

Is this still required?  Our medical insurance covers us outside the US and we have Medjet for evacuation.

If it is required, do you sell this low of coverage?

Thanks for your help.

9 hours ago, beach bunnie said:

I am getting conflicting info about needing Travel/Medical Insurance to enter Vietnam (min coverage $10,000).

Is this still required?  Our medical insurance covers us outside the US and we have Medjet for evacuation.

If it is required, do you sell this low of coverage?

Thanks for your help.

Hi beach bunnie,

The only way to know for sure is to ask VIetnam. Here’s their Consulates’ website:

https://vietnamconsulateinhouston.org/vietnam-embassy-united-states/#:~:text=There are currently 03 Vietnam Embassy%2FConsulate offices in the US.

Does your health insurance cover you 100% when outside the USA? If not, what’s the most you would have to pay if you got hit by a cement truck in Vietnam?

Also, yes, I have plans with $10,000 medical.

Steve Dasseos

18 hours ago, beach bunnie said:

Our medical insurance covers us outside the US and we have Medjet for evacuation.

You probably already know this, but I will add in case others are reading. And this is my experience only.

Before I retired, I had BC/BS coverage that did include an international rider. I also asked myself why I should buy more coverage if my BC/BS works okay. NOTE: You have some of this covered with your MedJet.

I called BC/BS and asked some very specific questions.

1. Do you direct pay? No

2. Do you reimburse? Yes, at Out of Network and Usual and Customary.

3. Do you bring me back home after stabilized? No

4. Do you pay to repatriate my remains? No

This was a few years ago and I can't remember all of the specific questions I asked, but, at the end of the day, I made the decision that I should probably buy additional coverage that I would be comfortable with.

Thank you.  Our insurance has the same - reimbursement only.

At this point I'm more concerned that I won't be allowed to board the ship or enter Vietnam.  The cruise line says the insurance is required but everything I read says that this requirement was removed in May 2022. 

30 minutes ago, beach bunnie said:

Thank you.  Our insurance has the same - reimbursement only.

At this point I'm more concerned that I won't be allowed to board the ship or enter Vietnam.  The cruise line says the insurance is required but everything I read says that this requirement was removed in May 2022. 

An option might be to give Steve a call at his office and see if he can sell you a minimal policy that offers the insurance that would take away any questions or anxiety. I purchase a policy for under $100 that gives me $100K in primary medical. Then again, my state of residence allows this. Not sure what FL regs are. Steve can be reached at 888-407-3854

21 minutes ago, klfrodo said:

An option might be to give Steve a call at his office and see if he can sell you a minimal policy that offers the insurance that would take away any questions or anxiety. I purchase a policy for under $100 that gives me $100K in primary medical. Then again, my state of residence allows this. Not sure what FL regs are. Steve can be reached at 888-407-3854

Yes, he said to contact the Consulate for my answer.  Depending on what they say, I'll get insurance thru him.  Thanks.

2 hours ago, beach bunnie said:

Our insurance has the same - reimbursement only.

Most travel medical insurance works this way too. If you end up needing or wanting to purchase medical insurance, you may want to ask Steve about this if it is a concern for you.  I know our GeoBlue policy will pay in-network providers directly.  But, the chance of going to an in-network provider in the case of an emergency is probably pretty small.  Some companies might advance payments in certain circumstances, but I would not expect this.  

@iamtrustworthy - Do you have any further insights?

8 hours ago, Jersey42 said:

Most travel medical insurance works this way too. If you end up needing or wanting to purchase medical insurance, you may want to ask Steve about this if it is a concern for you.  I know our GeoBlue policy will pay in-network providers directly.  But, the chance of going to an in-network provider in the case of an emergency is probably pretty small.  Some companies might advance payments in certain circumstances, but I would not expect this.  

@iamtrustworthy - Do you have any further insights?

Hi Jersey42,

Any of my policies will cover the OP.

Steve Dasseos

13 hours ago, iamtrustworthy said:

Hi Jersey42,

Any of my policies will cover the OP.

Steve Dasseos

Steve.  The OP said their home medical insurance covered them outside of the US, but it is reimbursement only.  I took that to mean they must pay the bills upfront and then file for reimbursement with the insurance company.  My comment was "Most travel medical insurance works this way too" and I mentioned a few possible exceptions.  Isn't this true or am I way oversimplifying things?  Will all of your policies advance payments?  If so, I was hoping you could comment on the circumstances and how to go about doing this.

3 hours ago, Jersey42 said:

Steve.  The OP said their home medical insurance covered them outside of the US, but it is reimbursement only.  I took that to mean they must pay the bills upfront and then file for reimbursement with the insurance company.  My comment was "Most travel medical insurance works this way too" and I mentioned a few possible exceptions.  Isn't this true or am I way oversimplifying things?  Will all of your policies advance payments?  If so, I was hoping you could comment on the circumstances and how to go about doing this.

Hi Jersey42,

Thanks for clarifying this.

For the OP, like Jersey42 stated, you probably will have to pay your medical bills yourself while on your trip. That’s because most travel insurance plans are “indemnification” plans (you will be reimbursed – indemnified) after your trip by the insurance company. Travel insurance for the most part is not a “pay on behalf of” plan. In some cases, a few companies can advance payment to the medical facility, but it’s on a case-by-case basis.

The only pan I know that will pay directly when you use a medical provider in their network of Foreign Country Providers is Geo Blue (https://tripinsurancestore.com/geo-blue-voyager-travel-medical-plans/). Geo Blue has contracted to accept assignment of claims and direct payments instead of you paying the Foreign Country Provider and submitting a claim for reimbursement.

I hope this makes better sense.

Steve Dasseos

• Thanks 1