Port Kelang to Kuala Lumpur

exiledowl

We are docking in Port Kelang for 10hrs next February and were wondering if anyone has made a day trip to KL by public transport from there. 

Or should we bite the bullet and take the ship's tour?

We haven’t done this ourselves, but I know that several passengers on our cruise did.

They took a taxi to the nearest train station then took the train to KL.

We took a taxi to the same spot, but then took a ferry to “Crab Island”.

Thanks for that Kristal Blade.

We've got to do one of two things when we're there, either the trip to KL or another one to Malacca, a more beautiful old city but then we'd miss the towers.

We were on an Oceania ship just before  Covid,  that docked in PORT KELANG for the day. 

I had hired a private guide for 6 people. Posted on my rollcall and immediately filled the slots. Guide me us at the port. If I remember correctly only authorized ship vehcould enter the gates.   Not a problem.   Got off ship and walked along path to a big building....drivers were waiting there. There were people who found drivers to take them wherever....

The ride to KL took about an hour. We went to the Batu Caves first, which was the one thing I wanted to see. It was amazing. Spent about an hour there. Then drove to a bunch of sites. Our driver knew the best places for photo ops. We ate lunch at a typical local restaurant.  Fantastic.  Cost us about $6 a person US.   Nobody got sick.

Do a search for a private driver.

4 hours ago, Mrs f. said:

We were on an Oceania ship just before  Covid,  that docked in PORT KELANG for the day. 

I had hired a private guide for 6 people. Posted on my rollcall and immediately filled the slots. Guide me us at the port. If I remember correctly only authorized ship vehcould enter the gates.   Not a problem.   Got off ship and walked along path to a big building....drivers were waiting there. There were people who found drivers to take them wherever....

The ride to KL took about an hour. We went to the Batu Caves first, which was the one thing I wanted to see. It was amazing. Spent about an hour there. Then drove to a bunch of sites. Our driver knew the best places for photo ops. We ate lunch at a typical local restaurant.  Fantastic.  Cost us about $6 a person US.   Nobody got sick.

4 hours ago, Mrs f. said:

Do a search for a private 

Thanks for all the info Mrs f, certainly gives us plenty to work on.

• 1 month later...

Was just at Port Kelang in Feb 2023. You do not want to take public transit as it is unreliable (no set schedule). The train takes about 3 hrs to get into the city one of the people on the cruise did it and while it was cheap and the ship did not leave until 11pm IMOP wasn't worth the savings. If you can prearrange for a car hire that would be great. At the port there is only 1 taxi company that has a monopoly on the taxis that come into the port, it's a fix price no haggling and there was huge line-up to get a taxi had to wait over 1 hr as we had a group of 7 people so needed 2 cars. The rate was $100US for 8 hrs per car took a cab to see Batu Caves had lunch and went to the Patronus Tower, could have done KL Tower as well but people had to make it back to the ship for a dinner reservation.

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/26/2023 at 1:12 PM, Kristal Blade said:

We haven’t done this ourselves, but I know that several passengers on our cruise did.

They took a taxi to the nearest train station then took the train to KL.

We took a taxi to the same spot, but then took a ferry to “Crab Island”.

Hi Kristal Blade, How was "Crab Island", I have been to KL before so not really fussed about sitting in the traffice & sight seeing in KL but would like to do something and get off the ship, I wondered if Crab Island was 'easy/ do-able' and reasonably interesting. Thanks 

2 hours ago, Wispa72 said:

Hi Kristal Blade, How was "Crab Island", I have been to KL before so not really fussed about sitting in the traffice & sight seeing in KL but would like to do something and get off the ship, I wondered if Crab Island was 'easy/ do-able' and reasonably interesting. Thanks 

Very easy.

We took a taxi to the ferry port, boats were leaving about every 20 minutes, I think. It was an interesting ride to the island, took half an hour. You can stroll round the island freely. There are a couple of temples, “streets” on stilts with crabs burrowing in the mud below. We took several photos of the houses, temples and little shops. We didn’t eat there, just grabbed a cold drink (it is really hot and humid) then took the ferry back. Once there we walked to a big temple complex with some very colourful statues, more photos there. If you want to know the name of the temple let me know, it’s written in my holiday diary, but I don’t have it right here.

The ferry port is close to the railway station and we went to the station to get a taxi back to the ship. I think we were off the ship for 4 or 5 hours. We enjoyed it.

Like you we had been to KL a couple of times before and seen the main sights there.

On 8/18/2023 at 10:34 PM, Kristal Blade said:

Very easy.

We took a taxi to the ferry port, boats were leaving about every 20 minutes, I think. It was an interesting ride to the island, took half an hour. You can stroll round the island freely. There are a couple of temples, “streets” on stilts with crabs burrowing in the mud below. We took several photos of the houses, temples and little shops. We didn’t eat there, just grabbed a cold drink (it is really hot and humid) then took the ferry back. Once there we walked to a big temple complex with some very colourful statues, more photos there. If you want to know the name of the temple let me know, it’s written in my holiday diary, but I don’t have it right here.

The ferry port is close to the railway station and we went to the station to get a taxi back to the ship. I think we were off the ship for 4 or 5 hours. We enjoyed it.

Like you we had been to KL a couple of times before and seen the main sights there.

Thank you so much for responding, I think we will opt to go to Crab island something a bit different but your post is reassuring / helpful to know it is possible. Thanks again.

27 minutes ago, Wispa72 said:

Thank you so much for responding, I think we will opt to go to Crab island something a bit different but your post is reassuring / helpful to know it is possible. Thanks again.

I checked my diary! The trip on the boat is about 45 mins. The boat is air conditioned, which was great.

We were on a P&O cruise and they had laid on a free shuttle to a shopping centre. We got the taxi, from the ferry port, to drop us at the shopping centre then we took the free shuttle back to the ship. 
I’m sure you will enjoy it, the island is very calm and very different from the bustle of KL. 

We were really chuffed to go somewhere that NONE of the other cruise passengers had done!

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/26/2023 at 4:24 PM, Mrs f. said:

Hi mrs f are you able to share the drivers contact details? 

• 1 month later...
On 6/27/2023 at 1:24 AM, Mrs f. said:

On 9/10/2023 at 11:15 PM, cosytoes said:

Hi mrs f are you able to share the drivers contact details? 

Hello Mrs f. - appreciate any details as well please.  My email is hilarysubs at gmail dot com

many thanks

• 2 weeks later...