Sapphire Princess San Antonio to Punta Arenas Sea days views?

wlbox

Sapphire Princess leaves San Antonio for Punta Arenas and Ushuaia on way to Antarctica. States 3 sea days. Will you be in open ocean or close enough to see land formations, glaciers or fjords?  No details are given. Appreciate any information. 

I'm sorry man, I'm just playing with you.  You posted twice, so I was having some harmless fun.  I couldn't resist the opportunity.

I really don't know the answer.  When I went to Antarctica a few months ago we flew into Punta Arenas from Santiago and then flew from PA to Antartica, so I don't know what you will see.  But PA is on the Magellan Strait, so at least for some points you will be near land as you approach.

• Haha 1

Just now, Nitemare said:

Instead of playing with the poster, you could reply to one (or none if you don't know) and report the other as a duplicate.

Yes, I suppose I could have.  Thank you for pointing that out to me.  What was I thinking?

• Haha 1

On 6/26/2023 at 2:03 PM, wlbox said:

Sapphire Princess leaves San Antonio for Punta Arenas and Ushuaia on way to Antarctica. States 3 sea days. Will you be in open ocean or close enough to see land formations, glaciers or fjords?  No details are given. Appreciate any information. 

Is the scenic cruising in Antarctica listed separately on the itinerary? If so, expect these days to be open seas.

Sailing along the South American continent, passenger ships typically stick to international waters, so no land in sight. Heading farther south, the Drake Passage crossing typically takes around two full days, and there will be no land around. As you get closer to the Antarctic Convergence, you may be able to do some birdwatching as there are several sea birds in the area, and they often like to follow in the draft of some ships. Keep an eye out for fulmers, petrels, and albatross.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

I was on Sapphire this past December, from San Antonio to Buenos Aires. We were supposed to call at Punta Arenas but ultimately could not due to weather. We did travel some inside channels on the way, and there was scenery, but it was also foggy, so not easy to see. There may have been glaciers, but we couldn't see them. The first two sea days were all ocean, if I remember correctly, with the third day being in the channels, close to land.

All that to say, it will probably be up to the weather and the captain's discretion what you end up seeing. Sorry, I know that's not the most helpful answer, but I think it's the most accurate I can give.

Here are a few examples of the views. Somewhat similar vibe to Inside Passage in Alaska.IMG_5594.thumb.jpeg.dade4a44473c06201b1d6eedf13ca953.jpegIMG_5582.thumb.jpeg.b4fa335ce197254be02dc1d990a82552.jpegIMG_5578.thumb.jpeg.eb2d4b9f2da0c74979fc12236dce373d.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 6/26/2023 at 6:03 AM, wlbox said:

Try to find out if you are going through the Chilean Fjords.  They are spectacular.

DON