For wine followers

NE John

This is the main wine tasting offering this week. We signed up for it for today. 
There is a meal with pairings in Veranda on  Thursday for $80 but I like like the names of these Chardonnays. 
I’ll try answer answer @D&N and @techteach questions about first growth and sharing offerings after tasting. QG sommelier is running this show. 

IMG_3362.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Report from wine tasting: 
This was the best $120 I have ever spent! First class experience and very educational. Top shelf  wines and tid-bit food pairings.  The empty bottles afterwards…

BTW, no sharing of tastings and most wines were 1er Cru. 
Highly recommended. IMG_3363.thumb.jpeg.40ec563c169fa24cd8097e153ed97df0.jpeg

IMG_3364.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Surprised PA isn't on that list! It is after all a Blanc de Blancs. 🤣

Seriously though; did any of the non French offerings taste anything like the Chablis, Puligny-Montrachet or Meursault?

Glad you enjoyed it.

@NE John Good job John!!! I’m glad it was a good tasting and the food was good. If you remember, I was not impressed with our California Cab tasting in December. Which was your favorite? This is on the west bound TA on QM2? If so, it means we probably won’t get the same tasting next week. Thanks again.

The Sicilian offering was very enjoyable and Far Niente, as expected, was very good. The Mersault was the best however. I do remember you said you were disappointed and that is a bummer. 

The QG Soms did a great job and that was a big part. DA loved it too. 

• Like 1

HdV was very good too. They served a 2012 vintage and it still tasted fresh. Made in old oak so not too “oakey”. Some thought it was too much oak mainly from the nose. 
That house has a French influence from the owners. 

16 hours ago, NE John said:

@D&N This is a special Grills offer so the 20% Drinks package discount does not apply. 

Thanks. I was aware that all the tastings and packages wouldn't qualify. Just not sure if the first growth flight is different as it is the only "tasting" that is on the main wine list?

It would be slightly more expensive but almost as good value to buy a 75ml glass of each from the list. You could do that as one or two per night and just remember the differences.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, NE John said:

The Mersault was the best however.

If that Meursault is still $160 as shown in the list from August 2022, it is very good value.

In France I'm seeing prices between €250 and €500 retail.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, D&N said:

If that Meursault is still $160 as shown in the list from August 2022, it is very good value.

We were discussing the good the value of that wine. Top notch. 

11 hours ago, renji said:

does that mean that only Grills passengers may attend?

Yes. The Som goes around during dinner and asks of any interest. Only 10 people in intimate tasting room so I jumped on it in a New York minute. 
Maybe Britannia diners can ask their Som if there’s an offer. This is my first time in PG, so this is new to me. 
Be proactive. It’s worth it. Good Luck!

3 minutes ago, NE John said:

Yes. The Som goes around during dinner and asks of any interest. Only 10 people in intimate tasting room so I jumped on it in a New York minute. 
Maybe Britannia diners can ask their Som if there’s an offer. This is my first time in PG, so this is new to me. 
Be proactive. It’s worth it. Good Luck!

Thanks!  I will ask. We were in Princess Grill for our last two weeks on QE and loved it!  But this time we are traveling with our daughter, so needed 2 cabins and wanted to try the specialty. And frankly hope to indulge a bit less—the food was exquisite! 

• Like 1

On 6/26/2023 at 8:09 PM, D&N said:

Surprised PA isn't on that list! It is after all a Blanc de Blancs. 🤣

Seriously though; did any of the non French offerings taste anything like the Chablis, Puligny-Montrachet or Meursault?

Glad you enjoyed it.

Each Chardonnay tasted so different from each other and that was the beauty of this tasting. The French offerings were the best though. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, D&N said:

Not the first time I've found that. Early on in QM2's life I found that Penfold Grange 1990 was cheaper on board than retail at home.

• Like 2

@D&N, @Colin_Cameron, @NE John Today at lunch I asked Jugal, our QG sommelier about wine tastings. He said there would be none on this cruise. 😞

He mentioned the 1st growth tasting, I said we were interested. But they need more people to do it. So no go. I am frankly shocked they aren’t doing any kind of tasting since we do have sea days.

Just now, techteach said:

@D&N, @Colin_Cameron, @NE John Today at lunch I asked Jugal, our QG sommelier about wine tastings. He said there would be none on this cruise. 😞

He mentioned the 1st growth tasting, I said we were interested. But they need more people to do it. So no go. I am frankly shocked they aren’t doing any kind of tasting since we do have sea days.

Major bummer. Not even a wine pairing meal being offered? You guys are having a rough 24 hours!

4 minutes ago, techteach said:

Thank you for asking.

In that case I'm inclined to order 5 x 75ml glasses of the different wines one evening with a meat dish and pass them between us.

33 minutes ago, techteach said:

No dress shoes for him tonight. We have to look out for the gala dress police!

7E966563-07D6-4B3D-A123-F5A3142EE257.jpeg

Ewww. looks painful. Reminds me of my horsefly bite experience. I kept getting offers of sun screen on our Sept.'19 Med cruise from folk thinking it was sunburn!

Allergies are me!

1 hour ago, techteach said:

No dress shoes for him tonight. We have to look out for the gala dress police!

Had to refresh the post to get your text.

Nora has been known to get similar reactions to certain types of insect bites. Luckily nothing for some years.

Would a medical certificate not be accepted to exempt the right leg from the gala requirements? 🤣

• Haha 1