Icefield flightseeing and dog sledding?

elcid79

In skagway we are considering doing the Icefield flightseeing and dog sledding.  That said, do we actually get to dogsled on snow?  Or is it one of the ones where the sled is on wheels?  Do we land on the glacier or "near" it?    A bit confused about how this is written.  Thanks in advance.

• Take an inspiring helicopter ride over the glacial icefields near Skagway.
  • Land near Denver Glacier and meet professional mushers at a dog camp.
  • Spend time with the huskies that will pull your dog sled.
  • Stand at the back of the dogsled and mush or relax in the sled.

Flightseeing meets dogsledding in this one-of-a-kind adventure that combines two iconic Alaskan modes of transportation. Soon after taking off from Skagway in a helicopter, you will be soaring high over some of North America’s most spectacularly scenic countryside, a land of rugged peaks, roaring waterfalls and ancient glaciers. Your destination will be a dog camp in the shadow of Denver Glacier, which is a hanging glacier that stops abruptly on the edge of a cliff. It’s an extraordinary setting, where you will meet the camp’s professional mushers and a team of powerful huskies that can effortlessly pull a loaded sled. After a few tips on dogsledding, you will be presented with the option of standing at the back of the sled and mushing or simply relaxing in the sled while another guest mushes. Either way, you can expect a thrilling ride through the glacial landscape.

HELPFUL HINTS
    • Dress warmly in layered clothing, a hat and gloves.
    • Wear comfortable hiking shoes.

Sorry to hijack your thread.  But, is your call sign related to The Citadel?  If so, I graduated in 82 from India Company.  I hope you get a response to your question. 

Z and TB

DW took this Regent tour from on the helicopter from Juneau in May 2019.  DW, a world traveler in her 80's, said it was the highlight of her travels. YES, on snow (in May); she 'relaxed" in the sled driven by another guest - but anyone could mush if they wanted to! 

3 hours ago, Zqueeze1 said:

Sorry to hijack your thread.  But, is your call sign related to The Citadel?  If so, I graduated in 82 from India Company.  I hope you get a response to your question. 

Z and TB

Sure is!!! 

• Like 1

Twice we signed up for this excursion - both times it turned out to be a great scenic helicopter ride. We got up in the helicopter but as we approached the landing site, the pilots determined that the fog was coming in and it was not safe to land so we went back to base. Both times Regent refunded 100% of the cost of the excursion. On each trip, our pilot was great and provided wonderful commentary and even though we did not get to the dog camp, we still have a wonderful time and if I ever again have a chance to take another Alaskan cruise, I would most definitely sign up for this excursion again. The groups that left earlier than us were able to land and from their pictures, if my memory serves me right, there was plenty of snow and the sleds were not on wheels. However, this was ten years ago and I don't know if anything has changed.

We did this excursion in 2010.  It was a highlight of all my cruises.  The flight to the ice field was a picture perfect day.  The views were spectacular.  We loved it so much. We also did 2012 and were blessed with excellent weather. Here are some pictures to give you an idea. The dogs are the best part. You get to play with the puppies afterwards. I’d say the ride is about 2 miles long. IMG_0291.thumb.jpeg.20f14bab811326736f753608d5f1dbf9.jpeg

Sorry these are glued into a scrapbook.

IMG_0297.thumb.jpeg.c0c425a9a7b60626db35470336f96551.jpeg

IMG_0294.thumb.jpeg.994a6202798c32dba2bf7c8b267c7b67.jpeg

of course you can buy the photo!  

IMG_0298.thumb.jpeg.cfd0bb588b3ff2964fc2b86ea3bf7de6.jpeg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...