What's the beer situation on the Epic?

KarenRB

I'm trying to decide between Epic and Joy in early April for a solo cruise and it's come down to beer. Nice problem to have, no? The Epic is less expensive but alas, my beloved District Brew House is not to be. Searched the main NCL website on what's included in the drink packages and the beer selection is pitiful.  Are there actually more choices on the ship than listed?  Does Maltings have any craft beers?  I hate wine and don't like most hard liquor but came out of the womb able to guzzle (sorry, I meant sip) a six pack.

• Haha 2

I share the pain. For some reason, NCL don't offer a decent beer selection on many ships. The Dawn was absolutely woeful for beer in May this year. If they think having a decent beer selection on one ship is a good idea (eg Escape), why don't they bother with other ships? Is it solely down to the beverage manager on that ship?

I have been on the Epic four times, although not for a few years now, and the beer selection was poor, but not as bad as the Dawn this year. I am hoping the Breakaway will be better next month...

It really depends on where you're sailing.  The beer menu looks drastically different based on the Ship's location.  For example, while in Europe, the Epic is likely to have German and Italian beers, yet while in the Caribbean, it will drop those beers for a more American flavor.  

Just got off the Escape (which also has a District Brew House) and the selection was just ok, I tend to like malty beers and I hate IPAs.  

That all being said, the selection on the Epic last September in the Mediterranean was just ok and I drank a Warsteiner all week.  

If you're expecting something like a Stone IPA or similar, you'd be better off on the Joy.

bottled beers they have the usual suspects….

Bud

Bud LIght

Blue Moon

Guiness

Heineken 

Sam Adams

Stella

Brock

Goose Island

Some other ones that slip my mind.

I know the ships with the District Brew House have some beers they brew on board.  Couldn’t tell you what they are, though.

Edited by graphicguy

They used to have a nice included selection on the non-District ships, I remember drinking a lot of Kona Big Wave Golden Ale pre-Covid. But, yes, on a recent cruise the selection was pretty bad. The above list is pretty much what you will have. We did find Hoegaarden on tap at O'Sheehans and in Maltings which was a nice surprise. I really did enjoy that beer!! I also found out that they have a gluten free beer in bottles. I was scanning the refrigerators while sitting at the bar and saw a bottle I didn't recognize. I asked the bartender and he showed me it, but the name escapes me. He said no one ever drinks it. I thought it was nice they offered a gluten free option, though.

1 hour ago, graphicguy said:

bottled beers they have the usual suspects….

Bud

Bud LIght

Blue Moon

Guiness

Heineken 

Sam Adams

Stella

Brock

Goose Island

Some other ones that slip my mind.

I know the ships with the District Brew House have some beers they brew on board.  Couldn’t tell you what they are, though.

This reminds me of the time on the Bliss all the regulars were bellied up to the bar at the District Brewhouse and this loud mouth guy shoves his way in and orders the sweet bartender to  "Gimme a Bud Light".  I told him they didn't have those fancy beers in here and he went stomping off like a two year old.  For the rest of the cruise, Gimme a Bud Light was everyone's greeting.

• Haha 3