Trying To Understand Hotel packages on Celebrity

Rick&Jeannie

OK...I've just booked a sailing for next year (I don't think the details have any bearing on the questions I'm going to ask...)

I found where I can add a pre- or post-cruise hotel onto my booking, and also the page dealing with transfers.

1) Do hotel packages not include transfers?  (We are used to cruising another line where it is included.)

2) We booked Aqua class.  Do I understand correctly that we will have dining in a "special" restaurant (Blu)?

3) The Infinity appears to be an older ship (launched 2000).  Has it been maintained fairly well...or is it showing its age?

4) According to the website, booking Aqua class gives us access to some type of "specialty" area.  Can someone enlighten me, please?

This is only the second time we will have sailed with Celebrity...but we're not new cruisers.  We've concentrated on a couple of other lines prior to this booking.  Thanks for any replies!

1)  I do not know, yet would imagine somewhere in writing would mention transfers if included

2)  Yes, Blu, open for breakfast and dinner

3)  Its okay, I was on her last summer and I didn't notice wear and tear yet she did have a dated décor IMO

4)  You get spa access; treatments like massages are extra

As I recall, the hotel packages do not include a transfer from the airport to the hotel but do include a transfer from the hotel to the ship. And this might vary by location.

In general, the hotel packages are not a good value because they are priced per person, whereas most hotels are priced per room.

As always, you need to read the fine print very carefully to see what is included and what is not when you book a hotel through Celebrity, and also what are the cancellation policies.

In all honesty, the "where" probably is relevant. "Generally" the hotel deals, with or without transfers, aren't going to be a good deal. There are probably some exceptions were it's just hard to research things on your own. But if you go to the port of calls board there are very few places that cruise ships go where someone can't give you hotel and transfer advice. 

I think your other questions have been addressed. 

2 hours ago, cruisestitch said:

In general, the hotel packages are not a good value because they are priced per person, whereas most hotels are priced per room.

This does not *appear* to be the case (at least for Celebrity).  I've been poking around in the hotels section.  It appears that this function has been contracted out to Priceline (maybe flights as well...) When I stepped through the entire process, just short of completing the transaction it stayed at the initial price which was shown at the beginning.

We have never found hotels booked through any cruise line to be good value.  We check their price, then look at the booking direct price and compare with other choices.  We can always do better, even when transfers are included.   We do tend to be independent travellers, often using public transport when appropriate.

• Like 2

we booked a hotel in Ft Lauderdale through Celebrity 4 months ago.  Transfers were not included.   The price for the hotel was good.    Saying that, it would be worthwhile checking each hotel s website to see if they offer a free shuttle (our hotel did not)

Aqua guests have the Blu for breakfast and dinner

have a great cruise

I've done a bit more research...the same room at Marriott is cheaper via Celebrity (Priceline) as opposed to booking direct.  BTW - this is in Athens, Greece.  That surprised me.  I've always assumed that booking through the cruise line would be more expensive, but we have done it quite often just for the convenience factor.

Edited by Rick&Jeannie

Just make sure it’s the same. I’ve never booked a hotel with Celebrity, so I don’t know. If it’s important to you, do you get stay credit, points, any elite benefits, etc.? Sometimes with third party bookings you lose those (Celebrity may be different.). For me, I have lifetime top tier status with Marriott. That’s typically room upgrades, lounge access, including breakfast and evening snacks and drinks. Early checkin and late checkout. Those all have value to me. They may not be relevant to you. If it’s essentially apples to apples (for you) and a better price, then it sounds good. 

2 hours ago, Rick&Jeannie said:

I've done a bit more research...the same room at Marriott is cheaper via Celebrity (Priceline) as opposed to booking direct.  BTW - this is in Athens, Greece.  That surprised me.  I've always assumed that booking through the cruise line would be more expensive, but we have done it quite often just for the convenience factor.

We have neither found hotels better value through Celebrity (or other cruise lines) nor transfers. When we have looked at booking hotels in the past there has been a limited choice, some restrictions on room types (for example unable to book a concierge room or guaranteed sea view). Prices have been more expensive.

Re transfers…Definitely in our experience extra price to hotel. You are likely to be shuttled by a coach. You will be given a time to be ready in the hotel reception. You will then wait, your time will be approximate. If it is early you will most likely be on the coach early and then have a journey around other hotels before finally heading to the ship. If it is later you may head to the ship but then you may not be boarding until maybe 2pm when boarding is usually underway at 11am.

Can I suggest a few things…

Firstly, look at Athens hotels with shuttles.

Then look at hotels and private bookable transfers (three of us plus three luggage prices from Plaka to port we have got quotes from $24 standard to $36 larger vehicle).

If you don’t like booking yourself maybe visit your roll call and see what others are doing.