Questions about specialty dining packages/reservations

SeaNutria

Back to the Equinox in October after a 10 year cruising hiatus. Back then we loved the specialty dining on a Mediterranean cruise. 

So for this trip, we have already reserved a couple of nights (Murano and Tuscan Grill) to lock in our desired times (and a nice discount on first night), but we have four more nights, and are tempted by the Flash sale, offering 20% off a five night package of specialty dining (four night package is not discounted). I understand we can use the extra meal at lunchtime, but we're not sure if there are specialty dining options for lunch. Anyone know what to expect on a 6 nighter on Equinox regarding lunches?

Also, we see Sushi on Five listed as a Specialty restaurant, but unsure how that works, since no price is listed when reserving. If we did a dinner (and / or lunch) there, how does the 5 night specialty dining package credit work for Sushi on Five?

We also understand that reservations are tricky for the specialty restaurants, because of their popularity. Any tips about how to expedite reservations on embarkation day? We are Concierge class, so will that give us any earlier access to embark, and reserve dinner times?

Thanks for any advice!

CA

Edited by SeaNutria
Typo

When you board go to one of the tables set up for making reservations or to one of the specialty restaurants and make reservation.  
When you do online check in you select a boarding time, only priority is for suite guests.  

We haven’t been on a 6 night sailing in a long time so I’m not sure if there is specialty restaurant open for lunch on a. 6 night sailing.

Generally there is a lunch offered one sea day a sailing, reduced price and limited menu.

With Sushi on 5 you are given credit of $30 (?) per person for your meal.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, jelayne said:

With Sushi on 5 you are given credit of $30 (?) per person for your meal.

Currently $35 I believe, and that would be the one I'd expect to be open for lunch on embarkation, and any sea days.

We used to enjoy the Murano lunch as well, but earlier this year on Eclipse we were told it had been dropped...

Edited by Mark_T
  • Thanks 1

Wife and I are on Sillouette cruise out of Southampton in July, we have onboard spend and plan to upgrade our classic drink package to premium, also would like to use the rest of it on at least 1 or maybe 2 speciality restaurants. I see you can get it at a reduced price at the moment however no reservation times available till on board. We have anytime dining in the MDR and prefer to eat each evening approx 19:30- 20:00 but reluctant to go ahead and reserve in case we get offered 6pm or 9 pm etc where we wouldn't enjoy our meal at these times. Anyone of past experience on celebrity know  of how difficult it maybe to get times near what you are looking for.

Maybe best if we just wait till we are onboard and see what times are available before reserving  and pay the going price?

I usually get a specialty dining package and have never had a problem making reservations on embarkation day --- and then sometimes changing things after that. It helps that my friend and I prefer to eat late, so we're not asking for the most popular times, but unless it's really important to you to have reservations for 7 p.m. each night and a specific restaurant each night, I think you'll be fine. In your situation, I would cancel one of the two reservations you already have (keep the first night discount), buy the five-night package, and make the reservations as one of the first items on my to-do list when I boarded the ship. With just a little flexibility, you should be able to get reservations you're satisfied with.

Edited to add: You can go to any specialty restaurant to make all your specialty reservations. Also, there is usually a table for specialty dining reservations outside the buffet throughout the cruise and in other high-traffic areas on embarkation day.

Edited by Carried_Away

1 hour ago, eric4395 said:

Wife and I are on Sillouette cruise out of Southampton in July, we have onboard spend and plan to upgrade our classic drink package to premium, also would like to use the rest of it on at least 1 or maybe 2 speciality restaurants. I see you can get it at a reduced price at the moment however no reservation times available till on board. We have anytime dining in the MDR and prefer to eat each evening approx 19:30- 20:00 but reluctant to go ahead and reserve in case we get offered 6pm or 9 pm etc where we wouldn't enjoy our meal at these times. Anyone of past experience on celebrity know  of how difficult it maybe to get times near what you are looking for.

Maybe best if we just wait till we are onboard and see what times are available before reserving  and pay the going price?

If you purchase specialty dining package through the cruise planner, you'll be given a choice of times, and the system will make a reservation for you at that time on one of the first two nights in one of the specialty restaurants (you don't choose the restaurant). You do not have to keep that reservation if you don't like the date, time, or restaurant. Just go to one of the specialty restaurants or the tables set up for specialty reservations when you board, and you can make/change all your reservations at that point. 7:30 is a popular time and might be tough to get, but I can usually make reservations for 8 p.m. Occasionally 8 isn't available at the restaurant I want on the night I want, and I get 8:30 instead. If you're a little flexible, you should be able to get something reasonably close to what you want.

Even if you only see very early or late times available on the cruise planner, there will be more availability on the ship. You can also check for cancellations if your preference isn't initially available. My experience is that the maitre d's try to be accommodating.