Can We Open Balcony Dividers?

I haven't been able to peg this one down. We are going to be on the Navigator in two D1 rooms that are not adjoining but next to each other. Can we have the balcony divider opened up for us?

Thanks!!

I am not for certain, but most of the time you can have your cabin steward unlock them for you so the balconies will connect. I don't know if that is something you can request before you go or not. You might call your cruise line and ask if they know. I know we can fax ahead to have the 'egg crate' matress pad put on the bed on Princess.

Susan

Vision class, yes..with the captain and room steward's permission, I guess, because it was done for our group on Grandeur of the Seas with a bunch of Junior Suites.. Voyager class. I don't know if it is possible. We were in 9610 on Mariner and there was a DOOR in the middle of the left side divider that presumably could have been unlocked. The right hand side divider appeared to be welded to the wall, and it did not appear that it could be opened. :)

Vision class, yes..with the captain and room steward's permission, I guess, because it was done for our group on Grandeur of the Seas with a bunch of Junior Suites.. Voyager class. I don't know if it is possible. We were in 9610 on Mariner and there was a DOOR in the middle of the left side divider that presumably could have been unlocked. The right hand side divider appeared to be welded to the wall, and it did not appear that it could be opened. :)

Such a confusing subject :confused: We were unable to have our balcany's opened on the Granduer. Guess it depends on their moods ;)

###

I've heard they discourage it a LOT, and the balconies I've seen on many, many ships have had semi-stationary sides, so there's nothing to open. They open them, I think, to clean only.

I think it's doubtful you will be able to get them opened. But, it's worth a try when you get on board.

On Navigator deck 9, the balcony dividers were hinged and obviously openable, but we were told by our cabin steward that they were only opened for cleaning. However, if anyone wants to know, the bolt heads that held them closed had holes that were triangular in shape. Next time I sail Navigator, I'll probably be bringing along a screwdriver with a triangular head.:p

Don't get me wrong, I'm definitely not an advocate of Princess but we had three adjoining cabins in late 04 on the Diamond Princess and our cabin attendant did open the doors between out three balconies at our initial request. This proved to be one of our favorite things about the cruise. Every night we met for wine on one of the verandahs. Don't know why RCI would be so stuffy about this. Its a great marketing tool. :confused:

On Navigator deck 9, the balcony dividers were hinged and obviously openable, but we were told by our cabin steward that they were only opened for cleaning. However, if anyone wants to know, the bolt heads that held them closed had holes that were triangular in shape. Next time I sail Navigator, I'll probably be bringing along a screwdriver with a triangular head.:p

I would love to be able to open the dividers when we cruise with family. However, I must ask you how you intend to secure the divider once you've swung it open? And keep in mind that it will cover a portion of the door of whichever cabin is swings towards. Not to mention that if the ship's captain is saying "no" to opening the balcony dividers, you could have some problems--especially if that divider came loose at sea and caused injury or damage. They have been known to do that on occassion. Just some things to consider.

While I really do wish we could do it, I wouldn't consider trying to make it DIY.

beachchick

Archived