Weight limits on Holland America for helicopter/zip line?

Michael02446

I'm due to leave tomorrow for a Holland America 11-day cruise from Vancouver that ends in Denali. We are scheduled to do the Alpine zip-line and helicopter to the glacier. Both have a weight limit of 250 lbs, something I just discovered this morning. I'm currently at 260 lbs (without clothing). Does anyone know how strict HAL is when it comes to weight restrictions? Just trying to figure out options. I feel like a total idiot and my excitement for the cruise has turned into anxiety and a lot of self-hatred. But that's my issue. Thanks for understanding and any advice.

This will not be up to HAL but the company carrying out the excursion.

Before the helicopter flight, all individual passengers need to get on the scale ( with clothing 😉  ). They use this info to determine seating and weight distribution on the aircraft. In the conditions of some of the Heli operators a $200 upcharge is mentioned for being over the weight limit.

Don't know how strictly they are enforcing this.

• Like 2

I worked at a winter resort that also did summer ops.  We had a zip line.  We had a strict weight limit and would weigh people if they appeared to be near the limit.  The zip line we had was one that had a built in brake.  If too heavy the brakes would not stop properly.  Every day we’d send down a weighted sack to be sure the brakes were correct.   The weight limit is there for your safety.  Vanity isn’t an option.  

Agree, its not HAL's requirement, it is the vendor's requirements.

Not sure, in an activity like this, why someone would like to test the proscribed safety limits. But on the other hand, how many stories have we seen this year on people who pet buffalos and put their hands in hot springs at Yellowstone?

Not sure about the zip lines, but the helicopter weighs you at the airport with your clothes on and everything you're going to carry with you (camera, binoculars, etc.) and has a surcharge of around $150-250 if you're over 250 lbs. Also, you are not allowed to take any kind of bag with you.  It goes around your neck or in your pocket or it doesn't go.