Canada Longshoreman strike. Will this ruin Alaska cruising this year?

larrybritt

We are scheduled to leave July 4th from Vancouver. Anyone else have an idea what is going on? Suppose to be flying in 7/1 to enjoy some Vancouver for first time. Hope this gets worked out. I thought flying was the worry.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Have two cruises to Alaska planned (Vancouver to Vancouver) leaving July 14, 2023 and Seattle to Seattle) leaving August 18th.  Last year we didn't run into any problems; hope we hear something from someone within the next few days. 

@DHP1When did you hear about your delayed departure and arrival times -- a few days prior, a week before your cruise?

LOL, yes we are supposed to be on the Crown July 4th and I thought flying from Myrtle Beach to Newark then to Vancouver was going to be the hard part. I sure would like to hear something by July 1st. But as I said I'm not feeling too good about our flight from Newark as they seem to be cancelling them, even today.

• Haha 1

36 minutes ago, larrybritt said:

LOL, yes we are supposed to be on the Crown July 4th and I thought flying from Myrtle Beach to Newark then to Vancouver was going to be the hard part. I sure would like to hear something by July 1st. But as I said I'm not feeling too good about our flight from Newark as they seem to be cancelling them, even today.

I’m going on the same cruise and also flying from Newark to Vancouver. The only difference is our flight is July 3rd. Really hoping this dispute gets straightened out. 

1 hour ago, Italy52 said:

Have two cruises to Alaska planned (Vancouver to Vancouver) leaving July 14, 2023 and Seattle to Seattle) leaving August 18th.  Last year we didn't run into any problems; hope we hear something from someone within the next few days. 

@DHP1When did you hear about your delayed departure and arrival times -- a few days prior, a week before your cruise?

Last year it was the pilots union.  Usually the long shore men strikes focus on the cargo side, because that is where the money really is for them.

2 hours ago, ldtr said:

Last year it was the pilots union.  Usually the long shore men strikes focus on the cargo side, because that is where the money really is for them.

Yes but all food etc is cargo and has to be loaded. If anyone breaks a picket line they should watch their backside

The U.S. Congress temporarily suspended the Passenger Vessel Services Act during the pandemic when Canada refused to open its borders. I believe it's way past time to eliminate this Act entirely. The "foreign port" business is a waste.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, jhannah said:

The U.S. Congress temporarily suspended the Passenger Vessel Services Act during the pandemic when Canada refused to open its borders. I believe it's way past time to eliminate this Act entirely. The "foreign port" business is a waste.

So many Alaska cruises go out of Vancouver that would also cause a problem. Seattle only had 3 piers   With most Alaskan port handling 3-5 ships day where would Rhett launch from ?

Edited by memoak

4 hours ago, Italy52 said:

We heard around the pilot strike started. They had to reschedule everything even the cargo ships. 

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, jhannah said:

I have a vested interest...would this suspension also include Hawaii/East or West Coast (Quebec), FLL?  Or just for Alaska like last year?

5 hours ago, memoak said:

Yes but all food etc is cargo and has to be loaded. If anyone breaks a picket line they should watch their backside

Sure it has to be loaded, but the contracts that they are striking about are with the operators of the Cargo Ports. 

While they also work at the cruise ship docks, they tend to be different contracts, different docks.  As a result strikes in NA have tended not to impact the cruise industry, mostly focused on the cargo ports and facilities.