Royal vs Msc

On 6/30/2023 at 10:51 PM, renza said:

MSC is horrible in so many ways. They don’t care is your trip was bad. They food is terrible, nothing like listening to 100 different languages to start a show. I can go on and on. There is no comparison, Royal is 1,000 times better. 

Given that the point of travel is to understand and embrace other cultures.. I have no issues in listening to a few other languages.. it helps me understand a few words. I couldn’t say “ deck” in French Spanish or Italian until I’d been on MSC ! 

Food does not have to be eaten with your fingers out of plastic containers at a rush… you can sit and use knives and forks, and take a few glasses of wine to enjoy your meal.  Their pizza and home made mozzarella is the best. 

MSC accepts and embraces the differences in our cultures. It’s a big world out there. Obviously not in your world though. 

Edited by little britain
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 2

On 6/30/2023 at 12:03 PM, cruisefanatic16 said:

agree the refundable options are not worth it in my opinion as too pricey 

My travel agent always books us with refundable deposits for less than the on line price for non refundable.

25 minutes ago, cublet said:

Hello,

Twenty seven postings and no-one has mentioned either 'half-and-half' or 'wash cloths'.

Some people are shirking.

Regards,

Cublet

You get flannels ( wash cloths) on MSC! 

Italians would shudder in horror at the concept of “ half and half”!!! 

• Haha 1

I’ve done an MCS and Royal back to back in January 

MSC was the worst.   The staff was rude.  Un accommodating.  
their shows were terrible.   The shows you had to pay for were a joke.   
the food was  just ok.    The pizza on MCS was good as long as you had the reheat it as there ovens are only set to 350° And there dough is so thick.   I was on a new MSC ship and it was very nice. That was about the only good thing about that cruise.  Now the price point was great.  850.00 for a balcony compared to 2900.00 on Royal.   
Royals shows blow most cruise lines out of the water.(pun intended ).  There Aqua shows are amazing.  There Ice shows are also just as good

you don’t have to pay extra for there shows 

and the crew on Royal was and is amazing compared.    
there MDR meals were much better.   And tons of other food options.   

would I cruise msc again.   I’d say yes. And only be issue of the price and pizza.   

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, little britain said:

You had to ask for a wash cloth and tissues.   They don’t supply them in the rooms.    

Edited by Cruise5life

7 minutes ago, little britain said:

I’ve always had flannels in my cabins. Been on 6 MSc cruises. 

Ok.   I didn’t.   Neither did my cabin neighbors.  We had to ask.   As did a lot of other people I talked with on the cruise. 
US cruise out of Cape Canaveral.   
oh yeah.  No ketchup either.  Lol 

Edited by Cruise5life

1 hour ago, little britain said:

There you go @cublet … a debate about flannels…!! 

Hello,

Thank you. In the early part of June we had *three* threads running concurrently on flannels!

I think the argument about 'rudeness' is not to understand the culture and/or mode of central European speaking. My Spanish teacher of Spanish was married to an Englishman. His parents said to him that they thought she, my teacher, was rude. It is simply the fact that in the normal course of speaking both 'please' and 'thank-you' are not oft repeated nor used as 'fillers' even in polite conversation.

Regards,

Cublet

Edited by cublet
formatting

1 hour ago, little britain said:

Hello,

Someone on another thread said that they had to put 'half-and-half' into coffee otherwise it was just an undrinkable brown something - I cannot remember the word used and cannot be arsed to find it. Well that my friend is COFFEE and what you are saying is you don't like coffee and would prefer to have a slightly brown coloured milky cream drink. I think coffee as dispensed on Royal and X, even with a double shot, is tasteless and the very first thing I do when I get home from a cruise is to get my coffee machine going.

On Silhouette I was sat next to a young American who ordered a double (black) espresso and drank it with gusto (that's means enjoyment, not something you put in coffee!). I said to him that he was the first American I had ever seen drink a strong coffee and 'hats off to you'.

Regards,

Cublet

• Like 2

Love this half and half debate, yet no one has mentioned how horrible royal blend coffee is. 

I dont drink coffee that often on board but MSC was so much better flavour.

Half a cup of coffee, top up with hot water and a bit of milk 👍.

MSC had flannels in the room and massive thick pool towels too. 

Culturally MSC ( European) and Royal (American) are very different and the only time you notice it is when they cross over in each others markets. And its fulfilling to engage with other cultures and respect that. 

• Like 2

Hello,

We really enjoy RC Oasis class ships.  The entertainment and food IMO is great.  MSC not the same.  If you travel and you really care about Pizza, go to New York for the best pizza in the country.  All around, we always enjoy RC.  Another option for us is Celebrity.  Not a fan of MSC.  

5 hours ago, Cruise5life said:

I’ve done an MCS and Royal back to back in January 

MSC was the worst.   The staff was rude.  Un accommodating.  
their shows were terrible.   The shows you had to pay for were a joke.   
the food was  just ok.    The pizza on MCS was good as long as you had the reheat it as there ovens are only set to 350° And there dough is so thick.   I was on a new MSC ship and it was very nice. That was about the only good thing about that cruise.  Now the price point was great.  850.00 for a balcony compared to 2900.00 on Royal.   
Royals shows blow most cruise lines out of the water.(pun intended ).  There Aqua shows are amazing.  There Ice shows are also just as good

you don’t have to pay extra for there shows 

and the crew on Royal was and is amazing compared.    
there MDR meals were much better.   And tons of other food options.   

would I cruise msc again.   I’d say yes. And only be issue of the price and pizza.   

Shows on Oasis class are much better than the rest of Royals Fleet. Below Oasis they are mediocre at best and sometimes worse. 

If id paid more than 3x the price to get on a Royal ship id be pretty upset if thats all that was better. I also dont understand the moaning about up charges for shows when you paid 30% of the cost and almost 50% for the drinks? Royal upcharges for everything these days on top of your 2900 cruise fare

• Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Cruise a holic said:

Hello,

We really enjoy RC Oasis class ships.  The entertainment and food IMO is great.  MSC not the same.  If you travel and you really care about Pizza, go to New York for the best pizza in the country.  All around, we always enjoy RC.  Another option for us is Celebrity.  Not a fan of MSC.  

lol NY has good pizza.   But Connecticut is also just as good if not better.   Just sayin.  

1 hour ago, Pandamonia said:

Shows on Oasis class are much better than the rest of Royals Fleet. Below Oasis they are mediocre at best and sometimes worse. 

If id paid more than 3x the price to get on a Royal ship id be pretty upset if thats all that was better. I also dont understand the moaning about up charges for shows when you paid 30% of the cost and almost 50% for the drinks? Royal upcharges for everything these days on top of your 2900 cruise fare

Not sure what up charging your talking about.  
But I’ve never payed for shows on any RC ships.  And always enjoyed then no matter what class of ship.  

the pay shows on MSC are terrible. Not even close to a high school talent show.  The worst entertainment on the 7 seas. Hands down.    

8 minutes ago, Cruise5life said:

Not sure what up charging your talking about.  
But I’ve never payed for shows on any RC ships.  And always enjoyed then no matter what class of ship.  

the pay shows on MSC are terrible. Not even close to a high school talent show.  The worst entertainment on the 7 seas. Hands down.    

Doesnt MSC have Cirque du Solei on their ships one of the best acrobatics shows in the world?

Royal is full of upcharges. You have to pay for things now that used to be free. 

23 minutes ago, Pandamonia said:

Doesnt MSC have Cirque du Solei on their ships one of the best acrobatics shows in the world?

Royal is full of upcharges. You have to pay for things now that used to be free. 

Those aren’t cirque du soles shows.   There wanna be shows.  And they are terrible.   I live in Vegas.  And those msc shows are nothing like our shows.    NOTHING.     If you can’t jump rope. Don’t do it.  
heres an example of the MSC show.   And this isn’t Vegas.   

and I never have up charges on Royal. unless you can give me examples. I’ll wait.    

Edited by Cruise5life
  • Haha 4

8 hours ago, FamilyCruiserUK said:

Love this half and half debate, yet no one has mentioned how horrible royal blend coffee is. 

I dont drink coffee that often on board but MSC was so much better flavour.

Half a cup of coffee, top up with hot water and a bit of milk 👍.

MSC had flannels in the room and massive thick pool towels too. 

Culturally MSC ( European) and Royal (American) are very different and the only time you notice it is when they cross over in each others markets. And its fulfilling to engage with other cultures and respect that. 

Hello,

I'm sorry to say that there are some (many?) that don't want to be fulfilled or are afraid of such.

Regards,

Cublet

5 hours ago, Cruise5life said:

Those aren’t cirque du soles shows.   There wanna be shows.  And they are terrible.   I live in Vegas.  And those msc shows are nothing like our shows.    NOTHING.     If you can’t jump rope. Don’t do it.  
heres an example of the MSC show.   And this isn’t Vegas.   

and I never have up charges on Royal. unless you can give me examples. I’ll wait.    

The Cirque du Solei we saw on MSC was absolutely awful.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cublet said:

Hello,

I'm sorry to say that there are some (many?) that don't want to be fulfilled or are afraid of such.

Regards,

Cublet

Reminds me of an American lady on a bus in Sorrento, saying how the Italians couldn’t make coffee and she couldn’t wait to get back to a Starbucks…🤦‍♀️

• Haha 4