Will a trip to Stonehenge on the way to Southampton be over doing it?

Badin

4 hours ago, BWV said:

We just had a fabulous day trip to Stonehenge, Salisbury, and Winchester Cathedral with stonehengetours.com. We board Marina in an hour!

Sounds great! This originated in Southampton? Assume one of their private tours? 

1 hour ago, EJL2023 said:

Sounds great! This originated in Southampton? Assume one of their private tours? 

1 hour ago, EJL2023 said:

Yes, we were in a Southampton hotel, but I’m sure they would pickup at the cruise terminal for a day trip. And yes, it was a private tour 

On 7/3/2023 at 4:37 AM, D. B. said:

Last time I was there 40 years ago you could go right up to the stones. 

We are doing Marina leaving Southampton on July 11th. but plan to arrive LHR at 9 AM on the 9th. Being one who never sleeps on flights we plan to stay the first night in a Southampton Hotel and the take a Viator private trip to Stonehenge and Salsbury the next day (My Wife has never been to either) and join the ship the next day.

There are thing we found interesting In Southampton on other pre cruise days.

You will be shocked.  Your wife won't since she hasn't been there before.  Things have changed a lot and not for the better...

4 hours ago, BWV said:

Yes, we were in a Southampton hotel, but I’m sure they would pickup at the cruise terminal for a day trip. And yes, it was a private tour 

Thanks! I see where they do a private one where pick you up at port and see the sights and will drop you off at hotels at Heathrow.  Could definitely be an option as we are planning to fly out the following day after disembarking. 

1 hour ago, Hambagahle said:

You will be shocked.  Your wife won't since she hasn't been there before.  Things have changed a lot and not for the better...

You should have seen it 4000 years ago ☺️

The sheep don't seem to mind the changes.  They were a highlight for me.

1 hour ago, Hambagahle said:

I still remember the first time DW and I visited Stonehenge (over thirty years ago).  We had a rental car and were driving to the site when we came up over a rise and there it was....those amazing stones just sitting there near the road.  We parked in the visitor parking lot and walked over to the site.  In those days you could walk among the stones, touch them (not a good idea), and wonder "how on earth did those big stones get to that location?"  

On a subsequent visit the government has "improved" the area, built a pedestrian tunnel under the road, and surrounded the site with a rope barrier to keep folks away from the stones.  The only exception was for the blind...who were permitted to cross the rope and touch the stones.

I cannot imagine what additional "improvements" have been made since our last visit, but I am glad we got to see the site before it was "improved!"

But I do hope it does not go the way of Lands End with its carnival rides, cotton candy, etc.

Hank

• Like 1

We have booked a private transfer from Heathrow to a hotel in Southampton with a 2 hour stop at Stonehenge on the way. Have to buy our own tickets to Stonehenge, but they were very explicit as to how to do it.

internationalfriends.co.uk

We plan to explore a bit in Southampton the next day before we board the ship.

• Like 1

On 7/1/2023 at 1:45 AM, Host Jazzbeau said:

Ah.  Good thing we went back in the day – so far back that we were able to hire Asterix le Gaulois as our tour guide!  😉

My first trip to Stonehenge -over a half century ago - stays in my memory. We parked on the shoulder of the raid, perhaps four other cars were there, and we had complete un-guided access. My last stop there (and I do mean LAST) was just over a year ago. Too many people are doing too many things - reducing much of the purpose of doing those things.  

If you have time for just one stop between LHR and Southampton, you might want to consider Salisbury — hopefully on a not overly crowded day.  The cathedral- rising alone from a grassy plain (rather than crowded by many other buildings as is the case of virtually all other Gothic cathedrals) - is truly worth the stop.

1 hour ago, Hlitner said:

But I do hope it does not go the way of Lands End with its carnival rides, cotton candy, etc.

Hank

Or the Cliffs of Moher , on that magical coast road southwest of Galway, now  with its paved, walled in deck where once the grassy verge of the drop-off was only bordered by some upright flagstones.

Just another trashing of the world I’m passing to my grandchildren.