Told by Carnival that we DON'T need notarized note for minor & one parent traveling..

GoodAsGold

Why take a chance and get to the port and they won't let you board.....you DO need a notarized note and it's not uncommon for getting several answers from Carnival.....Just play it safe and have it.:)

Our Carnival PVP told me exactly the same thing as the OP stated. My daughter is not married, has no contact with my grandson's father, and the odds of getting him to sign anything for us are slim. We sailed in Nov. 2004 under the same situation, no questions asked. What do you do in a case where there is no contact with the child's other 'parent'?

Under 'Father' on the Birth Certificate it says, "Unspecified".

Under 'Father' on the Birth Certificate it says, "Unspecified".
Then as far as the government is concerned, your grandson has no legal father, and your daughter has sole legal custody. That is unless, parentage has been established by other legal means (such as a court order from a custody or child support case).

Well my 14yr old's dad is no where to be found, and I have no idea how to find him either. So I am taking the divorce decree with me. His dad is supposed to be able to see him, but my son is supposed to live with me all the time. I also called Carnival, was told the same on the 24hr stay, and of course we won't be there for more than 5-7 hrs. I really hope there won't be any issues, I have no recourse in the matter. :o

As far as the 24 hour rule is concerned, how would Mexican immigration know or care how long you are staying in the country? Once you get in, you are in.

Carnival told my TA that we would not be allowed to board the ship unless we had this documentation.

If you don't get it, make sure the person checking you in doesn't insist you have the documentation.

I would go so far as to have Carnival fax you on their official letterhead stating you do not need this documentation since you will be in Mexico less than 24 hours.

As far as the 24 hour rule is concerned, how would Mexican immigration know or care how long you are staying in the country? Once you get in, you are in.
It is assumed that cruises with port stops in Mexico are transitory and do not stay for more than 24 hours. Some cruises end in a Mexican port, and for those you may need to have the notarized letter to meet the Mexican requirements. If you arrive by a plane you will be asked for the documentation in order to be allowed into the country.

I really hope there won't be any issues, I have no recourse in the matter.

Spider, I imagine it must be more than a little frustrating to have to assume the risk of being denied boarding because the ex is nowhere to be found. And next year, your choice is even narrower, you must either prove sole legal custody (which may or may not be granted in your divorce decree) in order to obtain a passport or forego cruising until your son is of legal age himself. This is what I would call being stuck between two very expensive propositions, and it will no doubt impact a LOT of potential cruisers.

Spider, I imagine it must be more than a little frustrating to have to assume the risk of being denied boarding because the ex is nowhere to be found. And next year, your choice is even narrower, you must either prove sole legal custody (which may or may not be granted in your divorce decree) in order to obtain a passport or forego cruising until your son is of legal age himself. This is what I would call being stuck between two very expensive propositions, and it will no doubt impact a LOT of potential cruisers.

Oh, I know, it has defenitely crossed my mind. At this point, my 14 year old will probably not go on any more until he's of legal age to get his passport. I am sure I am not the only single parent in that boat, absent parent's whereabouts unknown. I would assume there are a lot of people out there who will have a difficult time obtaining a passport for their minor children because of this. Sometimes all things are not considered by our lawmakers........

Oh, I know, it has defenitely crossed my mind. At this point, my 14 year old will probably not go on any more until he's of legal age to get his passport. I am sure I am not the only single parent in that boat, absent parent's whereabouts unknown. I would assume there are a lot of people out there who will have a difficult time obtaining a passport for their minor children because of this. Sometimes all things are not considered by our lawmakers........

A friend of mine went through the same thing with her 6 year old. She was going to Paris with her family and needed a passport. Her son's father is gone as well. She got a lawyer to terminate his rights. All she had to do was post a notice in the local papers giving him the opportunity to come forward. He didn't and it was all in writing at that point.

I understand that some people don't want to go through with all of that with the add in the paper or can't afford the lawyer costs. But here in IL. that is what you could do if you wanted to get past the absent father issue. Not sure about other states.

JerseyGirl, I am sure we will see lots more of those in the paper the end of this year and beyond. The process varies from state to state and case by case, and the financial cost can add up quickly. Some states are loathe to terminate parental rights, and its like pulling teeth to get sole custody. Legal fees, filing fees, document fees, legal notice costs--they add up.

As I mentioned, the two times I cruised with my daughter without my husband I did have the notarized letter. No problem. Easy to do. But, I had figured it wasn't needed after speaking to three Carnival reps. and listening to them insist it wasn't needed. But, I see they're covering their own rears by printing in theire brochures and website. :rolleyes:

So, I found this blank letter on a website (although the single parent site doesn't apply to me or my friends who I'm traveling with.) I like the simple letter, though. Easier for the other gals. I'm going to have it notarized with my hubby's signature, since he has no problem meeting me at the bank where the notary is. I'll give the other women these blank form letters and they can decide for themselves. I'll also explain to them what it's about and how it doesn't hurt to be safe than sorry. I made a copy of one that needs to be notarized, as well as one with all the same info (absent parent's signature, travel info., etc) that doesn't need to be notarized. Again, I'll leave it up to them, strongly suggesting to do it. I don't WHY Carnival insists upon telling people that you have to stay over 24 hours in Mexico before you need the letter! Nowhere do I find that anywhere else. It just makes me mad when they give mixed messages. :eek:

Permission To Travel Letter-

I would think the legal document would work fine for you.

To the OP, obviously you should do what you want and what you feel comfortable with. I would never take the chance; you just never know what might happen. My vacation is too important to me to risk screwing it up by not taking a simple precaution. ;)

That's a definite MUST. Don't you love this forum? So much valuable information!

Interesting topic for me. I'm sailing alone soon with my 6-yr-old grandson and had not considered this. He does have a passport, but I'll make sure that his parents get a notarized letter giving me permission to travel out of the country with him, and maybe more importantly, authorize me to oversee medical care if required.

Thanks for bringing this up!

This is exactly what I am going to do. And, from now on, I will not take what Carnival tells me as written in stone. I mean, these people were REALLY adamant about me not needing it! All three agents. They didn't even seem to know they had pubished it in their own literature. It's not like I'm expecting them to take responsibility for MY actions...but the least they could do is get it RIGHT for their customers who rely on this kind of information.:rolleyes: :mad: :( :eek:

Why don't you take the information you have gathered so far and present it to these women and let them make the decisions for themselves? They are all adults and they are all capable of making the decision of whether or not they want to have their spouse/ex-spouse sign this letter. You have done your part. Now let them worry about the details. If someone decides they do not want to bother with it, and for some reason they are not allowed to board, you can wave bye-bye to them while they stand at the dock and your ship gracefully sails away . . .

See, this is what frustrates me! WHY are they giving out FALSE information over the phone??!! Arrrrrghhhh. It just seems that they are not being consistent. They publish it one way and verbalize it another!:mad:

I should have gotten these agents' names. But on the other hand, if you didn't take a notarized letter like they tell you ISN'T necessary....AND if something happens....they can just point out that "It was in writing on our website and in our brochure". My daughter always wonders why I have a problem with trusting people. :(

I also called Carnival, was told the same on the 24hr stay, and of course we won't be there for more than 5-7 hrs. I really hope there won't be any issues, I have no recourse in the matter. :o

Ha! Carnival told me that it has nothing to do with the cruiseline's regulations and that they couldn't care less, nor will they ask you for this information. They said it was strictly Mexico's rules and even then only if we stay over 24 hours. When I kept pressing them about not seeing it written anywhere that it has to be 24 hours....one woman finally decided to say "That it's up to you, but WE, at Carnival do not ask for this". Grrrrrrrr! :mad:

Carnival told my TA that we would not be allowed to board the ship unless we had this documentation.

If you don't get it, make sure the person checking you in doesn't insist you have the documentation.

I would go so far as to have Carnival fax you on their official letterhead stating you do not need this documentation since you will be in Mexico less than 24 hours.

I think that this is what the Carnival reps. were trying to convey to me. One woman said it's different when you arrive there on a cruise that only stays in port less than a day. Fine, I understand that. THEN WHY not explain it that way in their literature??!! All they would need to do is say if someone is debarking and planning to stay longer than 24 hours (such as a ship coming back from Hawaii to Ensenada or something)....then be sure and have the notarized letter. BETTER YET...keep it like it is, but DON'T tell people something else over the phone. Stick to one rule and follow it! And, that goes for all their agents who help customers. They need to be on the same page, especially something as serious as this.

It is assumed that cruises with port stops in Mexico are transitory and do not stay for more than 24 hours. Some cruises end in a Mexican port, and for those you may need to have the notarized letter to meet the Mexican requirements. If you arrive by a plane you will be asked for the documentation in order to be allowed into the country.

I didnt even know about this rule, and when I took my daughter last year we had no problems and we went to Cozumel and she has a different last name then me so glad I didnt have any problems since I didnt even know about this rule.

Just curious though...what if you could not get a note from absent parent? Sometimes you dont even know where the absent parent is?

This is the problem that I have. My kids have not seen there dad in almost 2 years. We do know where he is but he would rather die then sign anything for me. He would out right refuse. So what in the world would I do. There are some mom's and dad's that don't even know where their children's parents are, so should these kids not get to gone on a family vaction, because one parent can't get his or her act together?

Jennifer, That is exactly what happens, the kids have to pay for his mule-headedness and/or absenteeism. And next year, when passports will be needed, there is no chance that you can get on without the permission letter. It's sad, but yes, the children will suffer if they have a screw-up for a parent.

Lots of single parents are in the same quandary as you, but if the parental rights of the father have not been terminated or restricted by the court, then he gets just as much say-so in where and when the kids can go out of the country (sometimes state!) as you do. Does not matter if he has not seen them, or paid his child support. Until and unless the responsible parent gets sole legal custody, the mush-for-brains parent can make life pretty unfair for their innocent kids.

If you read my post about what happened pre-9/11 in Seattle going to Alaska, you can see that the notarized letter doesn't have to deal with just Mexico.

US Immigration can show up at any port at any time and run the check-in. It doesn't matter if you have something on a letterhead from Carnival, because US Immigration makes the rules.

• 3 years later...

I am so confused by this...

first, my ex...we have no contact with him...it's impossible to get a letter from him.....and he doesn't even deserve the consideration of needing his permission to travel with my kids...

second......my friend, while traveling on RCL i believe it was, was DENIED BOARDING for not having the letter....YES, DENIED IN FLORIDA TO BOARD THE SHIP!!!!!!!!!!!!

So some say no problem, others say yes....however, there are plenty of deadbeat parents around that you can't track down....my ex still pays child support..(well, until january of this year) not nearly long enough to have rights terminated, and he has not officially "abondoned" the kids. so i'm suppose to track down the deadbeat for his "permission"....geesh!

I understand the reason for it...parents do abduct their own children. heck, my ex did mine for 10 days.....i was affraid he was leaving the country with them. (they have their own private planes) Thank God he did not.

It just seems like there could be a better way...and a "universal" rule regarding kids so everyone gets the same answers. we have missed taking vacations with the kids because of this "rule".

Here's my two cents:

In the event of a medical emergency, the 'non-custodial' parent usually has the legal right to make medical decisions equally to the 'custodial' parent. Having a consent for medical decision making is going to make life a LOT easier if, God forbid, you need to do so in an emergency.

While you're getting something notarized, why NOT go ahead and add permission to travel to the letter? Two birds, one stone, you're all covered!

Personally, I think if you have the means to get it, why NOT get it and just make life a little less worrisome. Just when you think "It won't happen to me"....it does. That happens everywhere in life!

PS- We had the letter and yes, my kids were questioned in the airport, "Who's this?", pointing to my husband and I, who have different last names than then kids do. Kids explained who we were and I flashed the letter. The agent thanked me for having it and waved us on. This was on our way out and I don't even want to think what would have happened had we not had it.

I am so confused by this...

first, my ex...we have no contact with him...it's impossible to get a letter from him.....and he doesn't even deserve the consideration of needing his permission to travel with my kids...

second......my friend, while traveling on RCL i believe it was, was DENIED BOARDING for not having the letter....YES, DENIED IN FLORIDA TO BOARD THE SHIP!!!!!!!!!!!!

So some say no problem, others say yes....however, there are plenty of deadbeat parents around that you can't track down....my ex still pays child support..(well, until january of this year) not nearly long enough to have rights terminated, and he has not officially "abondoned" the kids. so i'm suppose to track down the deadbeat for his "permission"....geesh!

I understand the reason for it...parents do abduct their own children. heck, my ex did mine for 10 days.....i was affraid he was leaving the country with them. (they have their own private planes) Thank God he did not.

It just seems like there could be a better way...and a "universal" rule regarding kids so everyone gets the same answers. we have missed taking vacations with the kids because of this "rule".

Do your divorce papers say you have sole custody or shared custody with your ex? if you have sole custody, you do not need his permission. Just take a copy of your divorce decree with you.

I called Carnival today just to make DOUBLY sure the last CCL agent gave me the correct information. Apparently she did...

...Anyway, the way they have it printed in their brochure and website is confusing. It's the statement about a child traveling with only one parent and needing a notarized letter from the absent parent giving permission for the child to travel. It specifies that if you debark in Mexico, it will be needed. (I had always had one done when we sailed on Princess, although never once did anyone in Mexico question me. Besides, how would they know my husband wasn't just staying on the ship instead of getting off with us in the port?

Anyway, he said that rule does not apply unless someone is staying 24 hours or longer in Mexico. And, we aren't, of course. I told him it didn't say that in the brochure/website. He replied that "debark" means to get off and stay awhile. At least that's what they intend it to mean. Why did they even put it in there then, if the rule doesn't apply? I don't know...they sure are vague about their rules sometimes.

If it were just me I would probably just type up a little permission note and have it notarized like I've done in the past. But, the other three women who are traveling with me and taking their daughters won't be as thrilled, I know. :rolleyes: Especially one of them. :) So, I'm going to call Carnival one more time and speak to yet, another agent and see if I get the same answer. If so, then it must be right. I'll also get his or her name, too. :)

I also asked about the amount of wine/champagne we can bring on at the home port. As much as we want, I was told. I'll probably bring one bottle of champagne. But I know one of the other gals likes wine, so she'll bring more, no doubt.

Why do you keep calling Carnival on this? It is the U.S. Department of Immigration/Homeland Security that requires this document for minors traveling without both parents........not Carnivals.

You may or may not be asked for this letter. However, if they ask for it and you don't have it, you will be denied boarding....period.

This law is in effect to prevent child abductions/abuse. It's not just to hassle anyone.

I've traveled with my grandson once a year since he was 8 years old...on cruises. He's currently 17 and it's not an issue any longer. However, I've been asked 3 times to present the letter and....he was gently questioned a couple of times. This has been at boarding and once on departure from the ship when he was asked questions.

Like some other things in life, you won't need this letter....until you do.

Leave Carnival out of it. It's U.S. law.......

Archived