Corner Brook, Newfoundland

CathyK2

We set sail out of Rotterdam on Sunday and just got word that our cruise is removing Red Bay and replacing it with Corner Brook.  Not a lot of time to replan, so was hoping someone has been there and can give me a cram course?  Things to do near where the shop docks?  Any help would be so appreciated.  Thank you.

1 hour ago, CathyK2 said:

We set sail out of Rotterdam on Sunday and just got word that our cruise is removing Red Bay and replacing it with Corner Brook.  Not a lot of time to replan, so was hoping someone has been there and can give me a cram course?  Things to do near where the shop docks?  Any help would be so appreciated.  Thank you.

There is a small museum in the town, and there are stream walks.  We did a stream walk,but not that impressive as early June and the snow had not long melted, so everything looked a bit ragged.  Should be better at this time of year.  I printed aap of the stream walks off from the net before we travelled, but not sure if it is possible to get a map of them at the port or in the town..  Not a lot in the town really.  I think the main tourist sight from there is the mountainous national park, (Gros morne, I think), but it is a long drive each way, so not an excursion we fancied.

There was someone with a Newfoundland dog at the port.  Really big cuddly looking things, so have your camera ready to get a photo with you if you can.

Edited by tring
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, CathyK2 said:

We set sail out of Rotterdam on Sunday and just got word that our cruise is removing Red Bay and replacing it with Corner Brook.  Not a lot of time to replan, so was hoping someone has been there and can give me a cram course?

It is unfortunate because Red Bay rarely sees cruise vessels (though it is not too far from Blanc-Sablon, to which there are regular sailings from Rimouski, Québec). The most notable sight in the area surrounding Corner Brook is Gros Morne National Park. There is some distance, and it requires about 90 minutes to either Woody Point or Rocky Habour. The former is where you will find the Tablelands geological sight, while the latter is closer to the centre of most park activities (the most popular being the Western Brook Pond tour, just north of Rocky Harbour). Consider how much time you will have in Corner Brook to determine if you make a good visit to Gros Morne, or if you will need to stay closer.

• Like 2

We're hiring a car and driving to Gros Morne - about 1.5 hours each way - but world heritage and not to be missed.  The centre of town has car rental and its very close ot the dock 

• Like 1