Ports in BC. Potential Strike

Serious Cruisers

2 hours ago, Serious Cruisers said:

Still in mediation BUT they have agreed to service all cruise ships in ALL ports with no work interruption

LOL.  In another thread earlier today, someone posted a You Tube of that cruise guy Don.  He was almost hysterical over this possible strike.  I was SMH over it, thinking the workers were cutting off their noses to spite their faces with that and cruise ships.  It would be the death knell for that business on our west coast after the Covid mess and pussy-footing around over that.  Of course, they know what means a fair amount of work and they want to keep the general public on-side as much as possible, so they will just disrupt shipments and such I suppose.  It's still an economic hit if turns into something major.  I was not surprised to read your post, clarifying what happens if a full-blown strike gets going.

the only thing that concerns me is all the food and the other supplies that have to be delivered to the ships. THat's considered cargo and delivered by truck.  Is the Teamsters Union active in Canada?  Thety will NOT cross a picket line. 

We’re disembarking now on Crown in Vancouver, and it’s definitely delayed. We received a letter in our staterooms last night that the strike is affecting luggage and disembarking, so everything was pushed back by an hour. Those with flights prior to 1pm were told they had to do self-assist walk-off because of this.

Honestly, I’m not sure if people are getting off or not, as no announcements are being made, and I see no one leaving…it’s 9:50. We are scheduled as one of the last to leave at 10:40, so we’ll see 🤷🏼‍♂️

• Thanks 1

Just off the Crown also. Our original disembark time was 9:45, then moved to 10:45. It was about 10:40. It ended up being pretty orderly, just delayed. We considered taking off our own bags when we got the delay notice, but decided another hour on a cruise wasn’t a bad thing. We were one of the last groups.
Supplies etc are being loaded. Cruises will be fine, but as always pack some patience. 

Edited by sunviking90
  • Like 2

57 minutes ago, sunviking90 said:

Just off the Crown also. Our original disembark time was 9:45, then moved to 10:45. It was about 10:40. It ended up being pretty orderly, just delayed. We considered taking off our own bags when we got the delay notice, but decided another hour on a cruise wasn’t a bad thing. We were one of the last groups.
Supplies etc are being loaded. Cruises will be fine, but as always pack some patience. 

Hope you had a good cruise!

23 minutes ago, Coral said:

Hope you had a good cruise!

It was great! Food was the best we have had in all our recent cruises. Your previous trip report inspired us to hop on another Alaska cruise, so thank you for that! This is a great itinerary. 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, sunviking90 said:

It was great! Food was the best we have had in all our recent cruises. Your previous trip report inspired us to hop on another Alaska cruise, so thank you for that! This is a great itinerary. 

It is a great itinerary! Glad food was good! My dining situation was screwed up so I really couldn't judge food on my sailing. Crew was great.

I made the mistake of wearing my CC name tag back to my room after our 2 gatherings the first 2 days. My room steward got sick on Day 3 or so. I honestly have no clue who ended up cleaning my room. I would probably go by who called me by name but when I walked from mid ship to my aft room, every room steward addressed me by name the entire cruise. 

Who ended up being your naturalist? Someone posted that Alan got sick and their friend was going to fill in. Not sure if it was your sailing or the one before yours.

9 minutes ago, Coral said:

Who ended up being your naturalist? Someone posted that Alan got sick and their friend was going to fill in. Not sure if it was your sailing or the one before yours.

Just got off the Crown as well. Alan was there for the first sea day before he was disembarking at Juneau to go back to work in the UK. We had Alaska-based author Nick Jans come on board at Haines (I think) and he did a couple presentations on the second sea day. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, [Big Z] said:

Just got off the Crown as well. Alan was there for the first sea day before he was disembarking at Juneau to go back to work in the UK. We had Alaska-based author Nick Jans come on board at Haines (I think) and he did a couple presentations on the second sea day. 

I wonder if that is who @wolfie11 is friends with? Looks like he is a great photographer as well!

Thank you.

Edited by Coral

26 minutes ago, Coral said:

It is a great itinerary! Glad food was good! My dining situation was screwed up so I really couldn't judge food on my sailing. Crew was great.

I made the mistake of wearing my CC name tag back to my room after our 2 gatherings the first 2 days. My room steward got sick on Day 3 or so. I honestly have no clue who ended up cleaning my room. I would probably go by who called me by name but when I walked from mid ship to my aft room, every room steward addressed me by name the entire cruise. 

I couldn’t remember who the naturalist was. Thank you @[Big Z]for answering!

As I said MDR food was great. I was pleased to see wild sockeye on the menu and most other fish dishes were also very good. We have “realistic” expectations for cruise food these days, but we’re pretty happy most days. The Botticelli dining room was chaos the first few days though. I had reservations for 2 at 5 pm every night and asked after the first night to have the same table (waiter was just ok, but we liked the location). The hostess gave me a handwritten “ticket” with our cabin #, time and table number and every evening those with tickets were able to bypass the crowd at the door (walk ins and those with out “standing” reservations). It felt like a Disney fast pass line! Then, for about the next 3 evenings they attempted to seat people at our table after we were seated. Apparently their system showed us at a different table every night even though we had a standing reservation and a ticket. Very strange. We just made sure to be on time so they couldn’t give away our table, lol.

I didn’t find the variety of desserts at the IC to be very good and missed the daily round cheesecakes that I usually see. Probably just as well.

Our rooms steward was also just ok. He mostly did what had to be done, but would forget little things. He also NEVER said hi to us! It was so strange. The other stewards doing other rooms down the hall always greeted us but he didn’t. Very strange. I think he may have been new and wasn’t aware of how those little things make a difference. We saved money on extra tips anyway!

• Like 1

22 hours ago, shandryl said:

Walking off with your own luggage, self assist love that feature! I always use it! Quicker faster it’s just easy ❤️👍

Just don't try getting on one of the middle elevators. ☹️

On 7/4/2023 at 11:56 AM, shandryl said:

Walking off with your own luggage, self assist love that feature! I always use it! Quicker faster it’s just easy ❤️👍

I loathe "self -assist"  it should be called "self -carry".  I know it's not Princess' fault, but it was a real bummer to get that letter the night before disembarkation.  One of the many reasons I love cruising is that I don't have to deal with schlepping around my luggage. 

Other than that hiccup I did have a great cruise.  (I disembarked on July 4th.)  

• Like 1

On 7/5/2023 at 11:41 AM, macmax said:

Just don't try getting on one of the middle elevators. ☹️

You’re absolutely right! Elevators can get really full & with luggage, even more crowded. Pros and cons for sure.

Edited by shandryl