Southampton traffic on Embarcation day

Roytonboy

Hi newbie cruiser here. As there is much discussion on here around arrival times to the cruise terminal on Embarcation day, can I ask how bad the traffic may be around port? We are staying overnight at the airport so have (according to Google Maps) about a 20 mins drive in. How long would anyone allow to drive in, park up at CPS & bag drop?

Apart from obvious problems on the day a lot will depend on how many ships are in port, which terminal you are departing from, the day of the week, the time of day and what else may be going on in Southampton on the day (Southampton playing at home, Boat show, etc.).

Under "normal" circumstances I would allow around 45 minutes to drive from the airport to the port, unload luggage and hand car over to CPS.

• Like 3

With 5 big ships due out today, I suspect things will become very busy soon with possible tailbacks back to the M27.

Careful if you going that route. En route to the New Forest one day, we were on the inside lane of the M27 one lunchtime/early afternoon, but the traffic in that lane suddenly came to halt with what I think was due to cruise day tailback.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, david63 said:

Apart from obvious problems on the day a lot will depend on how many ships are in port,

Good point ,like today they have five cruise ships in port ,add to that ferry traffic ,that makes for a busy day .

(GSPG had the same thoughts as we posted together . 🙂)

Edited by kalos
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, david63 said:

@GSPG As the OP is coming from the airport he shouldn't be anywhere near the M27

Why not I always stay at the airport PI, and use the M27 and M271 route  especially to Mayflower terminal. It may not be the shortest or even the quickest route, but it is the most straightforward.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, terrierjohn said:

Why not I always stay at the airport PI, and use the M27 and M271 route  especially to Mayflower terminal. It may not be the shortest or even the quickest route, but it is the most straightforward.

That’s a hell of a long way around John and exposes you to some potential issues on the motorways. The A335 runs directly from the airport into the city and you then skirt around the edge of the city centre to the waterfront (brings you out at Ocean Terminal) avoiding almost all the traffic. Even for Mayflower I’d say it’s quicker as you are coming from the opposite direction to most of the other cruise traffic. 

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, Selbourne said:

That’s a hell of a long way around John and exposes you to some potential issues on the motorways. The A335 runs directly from the airport into the city and you then skirt around the edge of the city centre to the waterfront (brings you out at Ocean Terminal) avoiding almost all the traffic. Even for Mayflower I’d say it’s quicker as you are coming from the opposite direction to most of the other cruise traffic. 

I agree but even today google maps has it as the fastest route even though it is much longer, and it is far easier and more straightforward than going through the town, and a heck of a lot fewer traffic lights.

• Like 2

Guest ccpm

To be honest I have done them all. Stayed at the Southampton Harbour hotel most but other central ones. Stayed at Chilworth, Stayed about an hour away. To my mind it does not matter a jot. I would always stay "local' driving down the day before but no matter where I have stayed it is totally out of my control. Southampton Harbour stays time reaching port was from 15 minutes to over 2 hours. I did the West Quay Premier inn on Coronation day I almost drowned in the biblical rain storms and time to port well over 1.5 hours. Now I have settled on Premier Inn Nursling. It is close but basic, i don't have the shock of a £400 bill, I can find it and it matters not a jot where i stay locally if the traffic is grid locked i am in that mess.

We usually stay at Holiday Inn Express just off M271. In September all hotels are very expensive even though it is beginning of month when Boat Show has not started we are going to have to travel down on the day. There are 5 ships in port and it is a Sunday so that will hopefully help with traffic but we always use M3, M27, M271 whether we are using Mayflower or Ocean terminals. Might not be the shortest but simplest and straight forward way.

• Like 1

We stayed at the airport on a day that 5 big ships were in: there was hardly any traffic it was about 15 minutes (taking my accidental detour because I don’t know my left from my right). We had a relatively early check in though (12.15) and the dock was quiet.

Can recommend Holiday Inn at the port. Have used their cruise package over 50 times with no problems. Can usually see ship from bedroom window. Price varies depending on time of year.  Parking not available during boat show though. 

• Like 1