Rouen - Tours to Monet gardens?

Aulanis

We are booked on an Ambassador cruise that has an overnight in Rouen.  Whilst there is plenty to fill the time in Rouen we have been thinking that while we are so close maybe we could fit in a trip to Monet's Garden.  It looked doable,  and we have a bit of French!!  train then a bus 7km is a bit far to walk these days.

Then when looking more closely at the Garden  ticket booking realised that you probably cant just buy a ticket when you get there (August will be busy)

as they seem only to have timed entrance tickets.  Makes sense I suppose  but for me it means the variables in getting there could make it difficult.

Have has a quick look but havent spotted any organised trips  so wondered if any one has been there done that?

2 hours ago, Aulanis said:

We are booked on an Ambassador cruise that has an overnight in Rouen.  Whilst there is plenty to fill the time in Rouen we have been thinking that while we are so close maybe we could fit in a trip to Monet's Garden.  It looked doable,  and we have a bit of French!!  train then a bus 7km is a bit far to walk these days.

Then when looking more closely at the Garden  ticket booking realised that you probably cant just buy a ticket when you get there (August will be busy)

as they seem only to have timed entrance tickets.  Makes sense I suppose  but for me it means the variables in getting there could make it difficult.

Have has a quick look but havent spotted any organised trips  so wondered if any one has been there done that?

Been there, done that (twice) but did it with a rental car.  When we went (a few years ago) there were no timed tickets and the place could be a real zoo in the busy summer time.  Our 2nd visit was in early October, which was absolutely perfect with the Fall weather and small crowd.  You might want to contact the tourist office if Rouen (https://en.visiterouen.com/practice/information/contact-us/the-tourist-office/).  It looks like they are active on both Facebook and Twitter (links on their web page) to ask if there are any local tours that go to Giverny.

By the way, at Giverny you not only have the garden (with the lilly pond) but there is also his house with its interesting art collection (he liked to collect Japanese art).

Hank

@Hlitner       Thankyou.   since I posted a roll call has been started and someone else has been researching this  and drawn a blank.  Rather than miss out we have booked the ship trip.   I was aware of the house & contents.  I read some time ago a review by someone ( not on CC)  they had gone when it was quiet and they allowed them to take pictures

which were in the review.

I am uncertain if  an additional ticket is needed as ship description says there will be time to visit the house "on your own".    Will look into it, the garden ticket site does not mention that entry to the house needs another ticket . 

Edited by Aulanis