Peking Duck in QG?

Austcruiser84

In QG on QM2 this September and already thinking about what items I plan to order off menu (sometimes I feel like planning trips is more fun than experiencing them!). 

While I have sailed in the Grills before, I have not yet ordered Peking Duck. I believe they used to offer this off menu, but that you needed to order it multiple days in advance (as opposed to just lunchtime on the same day). Is this the case and if so, how far in advance does it need to be ordered? Is it worth it? 

On the subject of off menu dining in QG, what other items have people ordered that they’d recommend? I’ll certainly have the sole one evening, but more interested in what people have had made or have been surprised with that doesn’t come on the usual QG menu. 

• Like 1

We're just back from the QM2. We had Peking Duck (2 day's notice in our case) and a chicken curry another evening. We also had some of Osman's signature dishes - 2 lobster dishes and veal masala. All were excellent. As Techteach mentioned, I think he said he had one more month to go and then would be on vacation.

• Like 1

Thank you 🙏 I think to be safe I’ll order once onboard so I don’t miss out. The problem with off menu is always so many possibilities and not so many days! 

techteach, signature pasta sounds wonderful. What was in that? 

Aloha. While I agree Osman is excellent In my opinion I have never been disappointed with the Queens Grill since sailing in her since 2004. Even whilst traveling aboard the QE2 my requests for Lobster Thermidor, Peking Duck, Veal Ossobuco, Escargot every night was met with perfection. And I love the french toast too. lol.  Enjoy!

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, LouChamp said:

Aloha. While I agree Osman is excellent In my opinion I have never been disappointed with the Queens Grill since sailing in her since 2004. Even whilst traveling aboard the QE2 my requests for Lobster Thermidor, Peking Duck, Veal Ossobuco, Escargot every night was met with perfection. And I love the french toast too. lol.  Enjoy!

Well said.

I don't think we've come across Osman so can't comment either way  but all the other staff members we have, have been excellent.

Be prepared to fast before hand though when ordering an Italian evening if Sandro is in charge! The antipasti itself was worthy of a main dish. Superb.

Hoists are not provided for the courageous few who can devour the whole meal and need to get up from the table without falling over their stomachs! 🤣

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Victoria2 said:

Well said.

I don't think we've come across Osman so can't comment either way  but all the other staff members we have, have been excellent.

Be prepared to fast before hand though when ordering an Italian evening if Sandro is in charge! The antipasti itself was worthy of a main dish. Superb.

Hoists are not provided for the courageous few who can devour the whole meal and need to get up from the table without falling over their stomachs! 🤣

Aloha. Totally agree. Now I am hungry! I am Italian and when dining out certain dishes I generally don’t order for example Veal or Chicken Marsala not because I prepare it any better than a restaurant but I order dishes I don’t believe I prepare to my satisfaction. Veal Ossobuco is one of them so whenever I have the opportunity to do so, I order it and feast to my content. Lately some restaurants are serving Pork Ossobuco I guess because it is less expensive. That said, I am officially starving!

• Like 2

@Austcruiser84 Osman makes a very simple, yet tasty, tomato pasta tableside. It is a very large portion, way more than 2 of us could eat. He informed us last night he plans to make us lobster as well as the pasta this week. He also enjoys cooking fish tableside, and will be preparing Dover sole for DH. He goes on vacation in 2 weeks and will be gone for two months. We think we know who will take over his duties and he seems very capable preparing tableside dishes.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, BigMac1953 said:

Peking Duck is a minimum of 3 days notice.

We always order it on board, whichever ship we are on.

We shall definitely try and order this when we are next onboard QV in November. 

A chef from Goa cooked us a wonderful Indian banquet last time as a special off menu request and it was delicious. 

Thank you for the recommendation 

Edited by LargeNegroni
Omission
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, techteach said:

@Austcruiser84 Osman makes a very simple, yet tasty, tomato pasta tableside. It is a very large portion, way more than 2 of us could eat. He informed us last night he plans to make us lobster as well as the pasta this week. He also enjoys cooking fish tableside, and will be preparing Dover sole for DH. He goes on vacation in 2 weeks and will be gone for two months. We think we know who will take over his duties and he seems very capable preparing tableside dishes.

Ask for Spaghetti alla Puttanesca. Yum.

I ask for galley prepared Spag Bol occasionally too.  Delicious and no fan fare of tableside prep!

I usually have Mandarin Crispy Chilli beef  [it's on the Bamboo menu but prepared in the Grill's galley]  or Mandarin Sticky Chicken  for a change at least once a cruise.

So many things to ask for and our next trip is a two weeker so will cram some off menu delights in! 👍

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, LargeNegroni said:

We shall definitely try and order this when we are next onboard QV in November. 

A chef from Goa cooked us a wonderful Indian banquet last time as a special off menu request and it was delicious. 

Thank you for the recommendation 

As we lunched in our cabin last May/June, instead of ordering 'in', which my husband did, I ventured into the Lido and discovered what I'd been missing all these years.

Yes, I got my sushi and sashimi. fix but also, the Asian stir fries. It meant loads more walking to walk off lunch [a single  lb was all I put on Yayyyyy] but I was in food heaven [I'm easily pleased] taste bud wise. I loaded my plates every day and took them back up to deck seven. 😄

• Like 1

Can i jump in and just ask if anyone has requested wagyu steak in QG, they have it onboard as it is on the Verandah menu but with a $30 supplement. I wonder with the current finances of cruise lines at the moment if this would be a request to far.   

49 minutes ago, seasickphil said:

Can i jump in and just ask if anyone has requested wagyu steak in QG, they have it onboard as it is on the Verandah menu but with a $30 supplement. I wonder with the current finances of cruise lines at the moment if this would be a request to far.   

We did ask for this on our last cruise on QV in QG, offering to pay the going rate, but was refused.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/2/2023 at 6:35 AM, Victoria2 said:

Well said.

I think I just gained 10 pounds thanks to Sandro  🤣

Also heard that Osman will be moving to QA.