Suggestions on 2024-2025 transatlantic round trip

We made a compromise. We’re going to fly to Italy and take the a cruise to Florida. It’ll hit some great stops. This will be our first international flight so here are our options for direct flight

JFK Delta

Newark on United

costs are the same but which airport would you choose? We’ll be flying to New York from S.C. To get the direct flight

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Welk said:

We made a compromise. We’re going to fly to Italy and take the a cruise to Florida. It’ll hit some great stops. This will be our first international flight so here are our options for direct flight

JFK Delta

Newark on United

costs are the same but which airport would you choose? We’ll be flying to New York from S.C. To get the direct flight

We would certainly look at seatguru.com for seat information to compare both aircraft (in terms of comfort).  You also might want to give some consideration to the most convenient flights from SC, which might force your decision.  I am not a fan of Newark or JFK (we fly out there in a couple of days).  Both airports have more than their share of delays,  

Hank

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Welk said:

JFK Delta

Newark on United

Awesome!  Great that you were able to compromise and come up with a solution.  Just out of curiosity, which ship did you decide to take?   

On 7/20/2023 at 10:38 AM, Welk said:

JFK Delta

Newark on United

Great that you came up with a compromise! 

As for the airports, I'm not a fan of either but have used both.

Are you going to spend anytime in Manhattan? If so, LGA (LaGuardia) is nearest by a few miles, and they have remodeled.

If you enjoy plays, there are a whole lot on Broadway.

If you like guided tours - https://www.familyinnewyorktours.com/

If you do spend some time in Manhattan, the 9/11 Memorial and Museum are done very well.

8 hours ago, Joe33472 said:

Awesome!  Great that you were able to compromise and come up with a solution.  Just out of curiosity, which ship did you decide to take?   

It’s the Epic.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Galveston Cruiser said:

We are sailing the Adventure of the Seas to Barcelona from Ft. Lauderdale late October 2024 then 3 days later bring Celebrity Epic back to Ft Lauderdale.

Sounds like a great trip.  At least you’ll have a few days off the ship before the TA back to the US.  These are in and out of Lisbon, right?    

I’ve noticed that there are sometimes cruises that travel opposite the normal repositioning seasons.   Have you seen these types of sailings on a regular basis?    

3 hours ago, Joe33472 said:

Sounds like a great trip.  At least you’ll have a few days off the ship before the TA back to the US.  These are in and out of Lisbon, right?    

I’ve noticed that there are sometimes cruises that travel opposite the normal repositioning seasons.   Have you seen these types of sailings on a regular basis?    

Both cruises out of Lisbon.

Years ago, repositioning was typically spring and fall; now not so n=much as cruise lines are constantly moving ships.

I cracked the code on taking a cruise back to back (that’s what I call it anyway) with a flight overseas then taking 2 legs and coming back on a ship. 
example:

I pulled up NCL and only selected “destination” TRANSATLANTIC. 

Selected the date range I wanted like Oct. Nov. Dec. 

that leaves like maybe 6 cruises. I isolated the ship…like the Gem and found the trip on the Gem that was RIGHT BEFORE the Gem transatlantic back to the US. 
So we would fly to Istanbul and cruise the Gem 11/22/03 from Istanbul to Rome..get in on 12/04/2023 in Rome. The Gem leaves the same day from Rome and getting to N.Y. On 12/09. 

This is for the first timers on transatlantic like me. I was looking at different lines trying to connect and was about to give up and it was SO STINKING SIMPLE. This is a great way to look when you first start..we’ll learn more as we go but at least we’ll be GOING!!!
it reminded me of the K.I.S.S. 🙂

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

In May 2022 we took RCI Anthem OTS from New Jersey to Southhampton. We spent about 4 months in the British Isles, and then flew to Portugal where we spent a month, and then a final month in Spain. We headed back on another TA from Barcelona to Ft. Lauderdale (Explorer OTS). 

Just make sure you plan your trip to be cognizant of the Schengan Rule. We had a blast and plan to do it again one day. There are backpacker's (or Nomads) who use the TA for such a trip, both ways.

Safe travels.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I'm looking at my first transatlantic next fall on Royal Caribbean.  I don't have the specifics nailed down, but plan to fly over and do a back to back with a 7 day cruise prior to the TA to Florida.  I think the southern route will be better for me.  I've done 2 Med cruises out of Barcelona and Rome.  Flew nonstop out of Atlanta.

Sandy

• 3 weeks later...

We are in the same boat (pun intended).  My husband is paraplegic and air travel is extremely difficult for him (blood clots in legs, etc).  We have done one cruise successfully shortly after we were married.  We would love to explore Portugal.  We own a business that we hope to have passed to a successor by 2025 so we can retire. Right after,  I'd like to take a repositioning or transatlantic cruise, get off the ship....travel around for about a month, and then sail home.  Me thinks I might need the help of an experienced travel agent, one specializing in accessible travel.  These boards are helpful in coming up with good ideas.  

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

We have booked HAL Nieuw Statendam  Ft. Lauderdale to Rotterdam, April 4 - April 20,2025. We will spend a week in Brugges Belgium. Then take the QM2 back to the states April 27 - May 5.

We will travel by rental car to and from the airports in the states. We will travel by train from Rotterdam to Brugges and then also by train from there to Southampton.

Another thought would be to take Celebrity, HAL, or Princess (the ships I would use) from Florida TA to Southhampton. Then board one of these cruise lines or another comparable one in Southhampton for a cruise around Great Britain and Ireland, and then catch the QM2 out of Southhampton to New York. Then a short flight back to Florida if you live there. That way you just remain on cruise ships the entire time and don't have to fool with the hassles and expense of staying on land, getting around, and having to lug baggage all over the fruited plain. 🚢

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/4/2023 at 3:54 PM, Floridastorm said:

Another thought would be to take Celebrity, HAL, or Princess (the ships I would use) from Florida TA to Southhampton. Then board one of these cruise lines or another comparable one in Southhampton for a cruise around Great Britain and Ireland, and then catch the QM2 out of Southhampton to New York. Then a short flight back to Florida if you live there. That way you just remain on cruise ships the entire time and don't have to fool with the hassles and expense of staying on land, getting around, and having to lug baggage all over the fruited plain. 🚢

Having traveled a lot on both sea and land we would not suggest avoiding land travel.  It can work well in conjunction with cruises to get across the pond.  But the majority of Europe and the UK cannot be accessed on a port day.  A bit like trying to see the USA from ports.  

Hank

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/16/2023 at 10:54 AM, Hlitner said:

Having traveled a lot on both sea and land we would not suggest avoiding land travel.  It can work well in conjunction with cruises to get across the pond.  But the majority of Europe and the UK cannot be accessed on a port day.  A bit like trying to see the USA from ports.  

Hank

I was just suggesting how folks can do cruising over and back without having to get off ships with also visiting areas of Great Britain and Ireland. Myself I am partially disabled and 83 so I can't be faciltating places on land very much. 👨‍🦯 

Edited by Floridastorm
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Floridastorm said:

I was just suggesting how folks can do cruising over and back without having to get off ships with also visiting areas of Great Britain and Ireland. Myself I am partially disabled and 83 so I can't be faciltating places on land very much. 👨‍🦯 

Only 83?  Pretty young these days :).  I think one of the best cruises, for folks with lots of limitations, was the old HAL Grand Med cruises that were about 60 days long and round trip from Port Everglades.  On one of those voyages, we witnessed a gentleman celebrate his 102nd birthday.  Other than using a cane or walker, he was in pretty good shape.

Hank

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/29/2023 at 9:15 PM, Hlitner said:

Only 83?  Pretty young these days :).  I think one of the best cruises, for folks with lots of limitations, was the old HAL Grand Med cruises that were about 60 days long and round trip from Port Everglades.  On one of those voyages, we witnessed a gentleman celebrate his 102nd birthday.  Other than using a cane or walker, he was in pretty good shape.

Hank

Only 15% of men in the US are still alive at 83. At 102 I would imagine he would be the only one.