Gibraltar or Cadiz?

16 minutes ago, aunteemom said:

Our cruise offers tours to either Cadiz or Gibraltar. Can you recommend one over the other?

This is not clear.  Your cruise is stopping at Cadiz AND Gilbralter?  OR you are trying to decide which cruise you want to book - one that stops in Cadiz or one that stops in Gilbrator?

1 hour ago, aunteemom said:

Our cruise offers tours to either Cadiz or Gibraltar. Can you recommend one over the other?

I cannot think of any port call where tours of both would be offered on an either/or basis as they are not close neighbours and are in different countries.

.If your cruiseline is offering tours of both because you will be stopping in both(?? it really isn't clear the way you worded your question) be advised that both can be toured without any need for a shorex, Gib quite often chosen  by taxi tour as it is steep and quite hilly, Cadiz you only need cross the street and you will already  be in the (flat) historic centre.

And presumably they will also be offering tours at your other port calls?

Plenty of previous threads about both and would be worthwhile reading.

Edited by edinburgher
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, aunteemom said:

Our cruise ports in Cadiz and we have the option of touring Gibraltar or Cadiz. 

This was posted while I was writing my reply above.(post #6)

i would think Gibraltar as a touring option from Cadiz is a most unusual option  as the more usual selection would include touring white villages of the area, Jerez or Seville, with perhaps a walking tour of Cadiz also in the mix. And due to the ongoing territorial  dispute between Spain and Gibraltar/UK there can be long delays in both directions when crossing the border between the two.  Also be aware that Gibraltar is not in the EU, nor is it a Schengen country.

I would absolutely stay in Cadiz and explore independently as so easy to do, the town has much to offer and is popular with visitors.

Edited by edinburgher
  • Like 1

If the ship docks in Cadiz, Gilbralter is much too far unless you want to be in a bus for 1.5 hours each way.  Cadiz is literally across the street from the dock.  We took an afternoon ship walking tour of Cadiz but that is easily done on your own.  In the park right across the street there is a board with different color walking routes that one can take. We also took an excursion in the morning to Vejer de la Frontera, an absolutely delightful and charming white city way up in the hills.  Seville is a possibility but we felt it was too much driving and too little time there for what we wanted to do and see.

We loved Gilbralter but our ship docked there so it was easy.

Edited by TayanaLorna
  • Like 1

If your port is Cadiz, the best and most interesting excursion is to Seville.

Second, the villages outside Cadiz , such as Jerez, Santa Maria, etc. with time to enjoy some of Cadiz itself.

Gibraltar is too far and not enough of interest there. 

6 hours ago, aunteemom said:

Our cruise ports in Cadiz and we have the option of touring Gibraltar or Cadiz.

As an afterthought, it would not surprise me in the least if the Gib shorex option gets dropped once someone at your cruiseline realises the challenges they would face trying to take a Spanish coach across the border and a Spanish driver and Spanish guide into Gib- to work.

For the shorex to work, more than likely that you would need to stop at the border with pax crossing on foot and picking up a local coach, driver and guide once across, then reversing the procedure for the return to Spain.

This I do not know for certain, it being an educated guess,  but others may know and can advise.

As leaving EU/Schengen and entering the UK,there would be a border control and passports required, again showing them for the return to Spain/EU/Schengen..

There are a number of nationalities entitled to enter the UK visa free, so your nationality would need to be checked against the list of visa free qualifying countries.

Edited by edinburgher