Last Minute Cancellation

Shawski

I’m scheduled to cruise on Dawn to the Norwegian Fjords on August 5.  I may have to cancel last minute because of a sick dog.  I have trip insurance for myself, but of course it doesn’t cover sick pets.  The cruise has been wait listed in all categories for quite some time now.  I will contact my travel agent next week, but in the meantime I thought I would post here to see if you think Silversea might allow me to transfer this booking to another cruise or give me a FCC.  

Thanks for any advice. 

55 minutes ago, Shawski said:

I’m scheduled to cruise on Dawn to the Norwegian Fjords on August 5.  I may have to cancel last minute because of a sick dog.  I have trip insurance for myself, but of course it doesn’t cover sick pets.  The cruise has been wait listed in all categories for quite some time now.  I will contact my travel agent next week, but in the meantime I thought I would post here to see if you think Silversea might allow me to transfer this booking to another cruise or give me a FCC.  

Thanks for any advice. 

It’s worth a try, however they are more likely to tell you to claim on your insurance if you have to cancel. We had to cancel at a weeks notice and got no help from the London office and an email to Barbara Muckermann, the CEO, went unanswered.

19 hours ago, Shawski said:

Thanks for any advice. 

So very sorry to hear this and hope that your furkid recovers soon. 

If you haven't already, check the fine print on your policy - some travel insurance policies now include illness or death of a pet as a covered reason for cancellation (IMG Travel SE is one that does).          

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Dolcevita Diva said:

So very sorry to hear this and hope that your furkid recovers soon.  If you haven't already, check the fine print on your policy - some travel insurance policies now include illness or death of a pet as a covered reason for cancellation (IMG Travel SE is one that does).          

Great suggestion to check the fine print of your travel insurance.  I would be surprised if most policies extend that widely, but it raises a good point to check for that option, if and if.  Sorry to hear of these challenges for Shawski.  Too bad in missing the wonderful Norway fjords on this nice Silversea ship. Hopefully you can get there in the future.  

THANKS!  Enjoy!  Terry in Ohio

Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise from Copenhagen, July 2010, to the top of Europe. Scenic visuals with key tips. Live/blog at 247,814 views.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/1172051-livesilver-cloud-norway-coastfjords-july-1-16-reports/

Thanks all.. Thankfully my dog seems to be getting better and I won't have to cancel.  I will have to check out the policy that Dolcevita Diva mentioned and possibly use that in the future.  With an 11 year old pet, one never knows what might happen.  Then there's always CFAR but I've always thought that didn't make sense financially.  You're paying a lot more for the insurance, then only get 75% back. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Shawski said:

Thanks all.. Thankfully my dog seems to be getting better and I won't have to cancel.  I will have to check out the policy that Dolcevita Diva mentioned and possibly use that in the future.  With an 11 year old pet, one never knows what might happen.  Then there's always CFAR but I've always thought that didn't make sense financially.  You're paying a lot more for the insurance, then only get 75% back. 

Pets are a tie if you like travelling 

Not really such a quick recovery. He’s been sick for two weeks 😫. I have a wonderful pet sitter that I normally leave him with so I’m able to travel, but can’t leave her with a sick dog that is making messes in the house. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Shawski said:

Not really such a quick recovery. He’s been sick for two weeks 😫. I have a wonderful pet sitter that I normally leave him with so I’m able to travel, but can’t leave her with a sick dog that is making messes in the house. 

Very understandable and agree 100%.  I just learned about this specific policy this year from Steve at tripinsurancestore.com.   

My coverage priorities for many years related to possibly needing to cancel due to a very elderly parent or for work reasons.  This year I considered self-insuring for the cancellation portion (already have separate medical/evacuation coverage), but my furkid (cat) just turned 15 and although he's in good health, you never know when that might change.

Very glad to hear that your dog is doing better!