Using a CruiseNext Certificate

Smitheroo

Can I apply a CN Certificate after  I first book but before Final Payment is due?   If I'm booking a cruise in April 2024 for example I may want to book a cruise on a whim before that day.  So I wouldnt want my CN certificate allotted for that April cruise.  My thoughts are yes, I can but not sure which is why I'm asking. 

14 minutes ago, Smitheroo said:

Can I apply a CN Certificate after  I first book but before Final Payment is due?   If I'm booking a cruise in April 2024 for example I may want to book a cruise on a whim before that day.  So I wouldnt want my CN certificate allotted for that April cruise.  My thoughts are yes, I can but not sure which is why I'm asking. 

YES!!!!  

We have applied CN certs on sailings long after we booked on multiple occassions.

In fact, our very first NCL cruise a number of years ago, we had bought our first CN's and came home to apply it to another cruise we already had booked.

Several times, we have had no CN's in our account, Booked a trip, paid the $250 deposit on CC, gone on a different cruise, purchased CN's and then come back and applied (2) to the already booked cruise.

Additionally, a few weeks ago, they did a "triple-up" CN deal.  We had an existing booking for 2024 that already had 2 CN applied.  I went online and plunked the 3rd one down several weeks after we had originally booked.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

I'm not 100% clear what you are asking. Are you asking if you already booked a cruise, can you apply a cruise next certificate as partial payment or do you want to save your CN certificate for a possible new cruise booking?

In the last few weeks in June, NCL was allowing a triple up deposit and I was able to apply one $250 cruise next certificate each to two current upcoming reservations I have and hadn't did a final payment for either at the time. It was 4 months ahead and my reservations were both for balcony cabins.

https://www.ncl.com/cruisenext

And me, you can apply them any time up until and including final payment, if they add a double up of triple up I just call my PCC and get extras added.

Edited by ziggyuk

18 minutes ago, Smitheroo said:

Yes, we have done it several times.  There is a limit, however, to the number of CNDs that you can use on any one cruise.  NCL sometimes offers a special in which you can use more than one, but you certainly can apply a CND to an existing reservation prior to final payment.

1 hour ago, laudergayle said:

Yes you can apply a Cruise FIRST cert after deposit and up to and including final payment date as long as the final payment date is at least 120 days out.

That makes sense but I just wanted to be sure

Please humour me (new to this and still a little unsure) - do  I have this correct?

CruiseFirst - can be bought anytime, and applied as deposit or payment towards a cruise anytime

CruiseNext - can only be bought on a cruise, and can only be used towards a cruise deposit (while on the purchased cruise or later)

Sometimes offers may allow you to use multiple CruiseFirst or CruiseNext certificates?

CruiseFirst can be purchased on the website any time. It is usually $150 for a $300 certificate. Sometimes they run a special and you can pay $250 for a $500 certificate. You can apply one certificate as deposit or payment but must wait 120 Days AFTER purchase of the certificate - that is they cannot be used immediately after purchase. They expire after three years. They can be used for any cabin type, including studios. I have never seen a 'double up' for using CF certificates, but you never know. They cannot be combined with CruiseNext. Of course NCL may change the policies, but this is how it stands now.

CruiseNext can be purchased on the ship, or through third party sellers online or can be transferred by a friend or family member. If you buy just one on the ship it is $100 for the $250 certificate. If you buy two or more it is $125 for each $250 certificate. They can be used for either a deposit or payment as soon as they hit your account, which may take a day or two. The standard rule is one certificate for for any cabin type, including studios. It is usually possible to apply two CN certificates to a balcony or higher, either four months or six months in advance, depending on the offer in play at the time. Every now and then they will allow the use of three deposits (usually just for a balcony). Every now and then they will allow the use of two (and sometimes three) deposits for any cabin type (including studios). They expire four years after purchase. They cannot be combined with CruiseFirst. Of course NCL may change the policies, but this is how it stands now.

If NCL cancels a cruise or if you cancel prior to final payment, the CruiseFirst or CruiseNext certificate(s) should be returned to your online account. If not, contact them. I always keep a record of the CN/CF numbers and expiration dates as well as which cruise I use which certificate(s) for, just in case. Your available certificates are listed on the NCL My Account page, which includes certificate numbers and expiration dates. You can print as a PDF for record keeping purposes. Your booking document will say that a CF or CN certificate was used for the cruise and the amount applied, but does not include the number(s) of the certificate(s).

Any TA or PCC can apply the certificates, or help you purchase a CruiseFirst certificate. You can also do all of it online if you prefer. If you book onboard, the booking agent can use either type of certificate in your account and apply to your booking.

You may or may not receive email notification of the special offers. You should always check the terms and conditions before booking or buying:

https://www.ncl.com/about/terms-and-conditions/promotions#cruisenext

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, rodndonna said:

Please humour me (new to this and still a little unsure) - do  I have this correct?

CruiseFirst - can be bought anytime, and applied as deposit or payment towards a cruise anytime

CruiseNext - can only be bought on a cruise, and can only be used towards a cruise deposit (while on the purchased cruise or later)

Sometimes offers may allow you to use multiple CruiseFirst or CruiseNext certificates?

I’ll humor you…as I’m guessing several others will to.

CruiseFirst can be purchased at NCL.com at anytime.  They are typically pay $150 US for a $300 US certificate.  Occasionally…like today…they offer a $500 certificate for $250. You can buy at anytime but can only apply them to a cruise that at least 120 days away from the date of purchase of the certificate.  It doesn’t have to be used for your deposit. It also doesn’t have to be used when purchased as they are valid for 3 years.

Cruise Next. While there are some independent sites where people sell their previously purchased certs, all Cruise Next certs are purchased while on the ship.  The Cruise Next team will tell you that you you can get a $250 On Board Credit if you purchase $250 in CN certs.  And your credit card will be charged $500.  It’s not really an OBC. It is a credit back to your onboard account. If you don’t spend anything on the ship then your credit card would get a $500 charge and a $250 credit for a total charge of $250 for two $250 CN certs.  If you spend money on the ship, the $250 credit just offsets some of your spend.

CruiseNext rules change all the time in regards to how many you can use at one time and what cabin categories they can be used for. And right now it is also for cruises 120 days out.

be sure to read the NCL terms for both before buying/using.

https://www.ncl.com/cruisenext Click the bittom of this page for Terms and Conditions

https://www.ncl.com/terms/cruisefirst 

Edited by laudergayle
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, Portia! said:

but must wait 120 Days AFTER purchase of the certificate - that is they cannot be used immediately after purchase

We were writing pretty much the same thing at the same time…lol

the CruiseFirst can be used right when purchased for deposit or payment BUT the cruise must be at least 120 days out.

Edited by laudergayle
  • Like 4

Just now, laudergayle said:

We were writing pretty much the same thing at the same time…lol

the CruiseFirst can be used right when purchased for deposit or payment BUT the cruise must be at least 130 days out.

Yep. Really happy we are telling the same story! Always great to get confirmation. GMTA.

Thank you Portia and Laudergale! I think I'm finally getting it!

Now my only question (rhetorical) is what were they thinking when they came up with this? 

We're looking at a Canary Islands cruise for fall 2025 (I'm an early booker!) and now weighing the advantages of booking now or when we are on board the Viva in January 2024. FWIW, when we booked the Viva over a year ago, we were sold and used a CruiseFirst certificate, but never really understood it. Now that we are thinking about another NCL cruise, I figure I should do my homework for this one 😉

• Like 1

Lol.  We’re looking at a Fall ‘25 cruise to the Canary Islands, too. I’m leaning towards the November 3-12 on the Sun due to price and cruise length…so we can spend a couple days in Lisbon.

I am really tempted to pull the trigger on the CF today ($250 for $500 cert) and use it as my deposit.  

I don’t know if waiting for January cruise to purchase CN certs will be any better.  It could be if the current Triple Up promo is still going on.  But if you decide to wait, I would suggest that you book now with cash deposit if you like the price, then apply CN certs when you get them.

what cabin category are you looking at?

4 minutes ago, laudergayle said:

Lol.  We’re looking at a Fall ‘25 cruise to the Canary Islands, too. I’m leaning towards the November 3-12 on the Sun due to price and cruise length…so we can spend a couple days in Lisbon.

I am really tempted to pull the trigger on the CF today ($250 for $500 cert) and use it as my deposit.  

I don’t know if waiting for January cruise to purchase CN certs will be any better.  It could be if the current Triple Up promo is still going on.  But if you decide to wait, I would suggest that you book now with cash deposit if you like the price, then apply CN certs when you get them.

what cabin category are you looking at?

Too funny - we're looking at the Sun as well! We're looking at the cruise before - Oct 23 for 11 nights or the that 9 night cruise in November. Really like those itineraries out of Lisbon. I know it will be late in the season for Portugal, so leaning more to the October date.

We will likely just do inside for this one and save the money for elsewhere on the cruise 😎

16 minutes ago, rodndonna said:

Too funny - we're looking at the Sun as well! We're looking at the cruise before - Oct 23 for 11 nights or the that 9 night cruise in November. Really like those itineraries out of Lisbon. I know it will be late in the season for Portugal, so leaning more to the October date.

We will likely just do inside for this one and save the money for elsewhere on the cruise 😎

We’re thinking inside but upgrading to balcony using NCL credit card points.  I just got the card after reading about the upgrade options. I did the card in my name only so sometime later on DH can get one for the bonus points.  Take a look at the thread (1st topic in this forum) and read the last 15-20 pages.  I learned a lot and also posted my progress.  

2 minutes ago, laudergayle said:

We’re thinking inside but upgrading to balcony using NCL credit card points.  I just got the card after reading about the upgrade options. I did the card in my name only so sometime later on DH can get one for the bonus points.  Take a look at the thread (1st topic in this forum) and read the last 15-20 pages.  I learned a lot and also posted my progress.  

We're Canadian so the NCL credit card not an option for us 🙃

for those that say you can use a CF after booking, have you actually done it, or read of anyone that has actually done it?  that's been a question ever since they came out with the CF, but I've not seen any posts of anyone that has actually been able to apply it after booking.  The rules expressly forbid it.  And if you cancel/rebook the same cruise to try to use the CF, you lose the extra value of the CF.  I've (and I think a lot of others on CC) have been waiting to see some first hand experience of someone actually being able to use the CF (at full value) after booking.  It would be nice if you can

15 minutes ago, dbrown84 said:

for those that say you can use a CF after booking, have you actually done it, or read of anyone that has actually done it?  that's been a question ever since they came out with the CF, but I've not seen any posts of anyone that has actually been able to apply it after booking.  The rules expressly forbid it.  And if you cancel/rebook the same cruise to try to use the CF, you lose the extra value of the CF.  I've (and I think a lot of others on CC) have been waiting to see some first hand experience of someone actually being able to use the CF (at full value) after booking.  It would be nice if you can

Those are excellent points, and reasons that most folks here (who can) just buy CNs on the ship and use those for future cruise savings.

• Thanks 1

Just now, LloydJr said:

Those are excellent points, and reasons that most folks here (who can) just buy CNs on the ship and use those for future cruise savings.

yeah, it's a major difference between the two.  I'm moving towards using CF more because I book insides and I can buy the $500 CF.  The CN double up promo comes often enough, but most times it's for balcony and above, so I can only use one CN most of the time.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1