TA on the Epic

Smitheroo

I found a cruise that appeals to me April 24. It is on the Epic, leaving from Orlando (Cape Canaveral) to Rome, through Gibraltor and the Azores.   I chose the Epic because i want to try a studio and since I will be the only one in the room,  the strange bathroom configuration (if its that way in the Studio)  wont be an issue.   I havent booked yet but if I do will probably include the Air Fare promotion. I notice there is about $110 in charges for "ground transportation". I am assuming this means connections from the airport in Orlando to the dock and the reverse at  the other end in Rome?   I think I will incude the Air Fare promotion (whenever its available) in ports/airports I am not familiar with and then learn to make my own way for any future trips.   But I'm curious- is there anything quirky about getting from Orlando to the dock?  Rome dock to airport? 

Both Rome and Orlando are about an hour away from the cruise port. Orlando on the cruise port is Port Canaveral, and Rome is Civitavecchia.

You can look into other ways of getting to the cruise port and remove the ground transport if you want. If you decided to extend to deviate the air and arrive up to 2 days early or leave up to 2 days late, the ground transport will be removed from you reservation.

I haven’t sailed from Rome, but in Orlando I know there are shuttles that go from the airport to the cruise port. Also in Orlando, I have had a rental car that I have had pre-cruise and have dropped off in Port Canaveral and then taken a rental agency shuttle to the cruise port. Another thing that can work is booking transport together with people on your roll call. 

Generally, I have found sailing alone that the cruise line transport is generally more economical than many options. It is when you are sailing in a group that it becomes cheaper to book something else. 

• Like 1

In Orlando, if saving a few bucks is important, use the NCL shuttle.  If you want to begin your vacation in comfort and at your own schedule, take an Uber from your hotel to ship side. 

For Rome, you may want to consider taking a shore excursion that ends at the airport if available, depending on your flight time. It costs more than the shuttle, but you get to see Rome. Might even get that $50 shore excursion discount.

38 minutes ago, Smitheroo said:

I found a cruise that appeals to me April 24. It is on the Epic, leaving from Orlando (Cape Canaveral) to Rome, through Gibraltor and the Azores.   I chose the Epic because i want to try a studio and since I will be the only one in the room,  the strange bathroom configuration (if its that way in the Studio)  wont be an issue.   I havent booked yet but if I do will probably include the Air Fare promotion. I notice there is about $110 in charges for "ground transportation". I am assuming this means connections from the airport in Orlando to the dock and the reverse at  the other end in Rome?   I think I will incude the Air Fare promotion (whenever its available) in ports/airports I am not familiar with and then learn to make my own way for any future trips.   But I'm curious- is there anything quirky about getting from Orlando to the dock?  Rome dock to airport? 

There have been a number of posts on several CC forum threads which have reported problems with making connections when booking air travel through NCL.  Many passengers have traveled successfully, but some have encountered long delays, missed connections, multiple flight segments on routes which could have been served with a direct flight, or other issues.  Be aware that NCL is simply booking a flight for you and they likely will choose the least expensive option, regardless of convenience.  Also be aware that once you have your plane ticket, you're on your own.  NCL offers no warranties, either expressed or implied, that the flights they arrange for you will get you to the ship on time.  You can request a diversion, i.e. a flight which arrives a day or two prior to your cruise or one which returns you home a day or two after the conclusion of your cruise.  In any event, though, NCL does not guarantee that your flight will arrive in time for you to board the ship.  They usually will not delay the ship's departure, even if several passengers who have booked through NCL air have not yet arrived at the port.  NCL likewise is unlikely to offer you any compensation for missing the ship, offer to fly you to the next port on the ship's itinerary so you can board a day late, or otherwise tell you anything other than "sorry, you're on your own."  YMMV, but definitely caveat emptor.  I certainly would recommend purchasing travel insurance if you choose to let NCL arrange your air fare.

• Like 1

I just took a transatlantic cruise from Port Canaveral and used GoPort's shuttle service. It worked fine and was $29.90 from MCO to Port Canaveral (but if you are staying elsewhere in Orlando you would have to first get to the airport). It ran from 10 am to 12:30 pm. I also checked out Uber and it was around $80 one way I believe.

Getting from Rome City to Civitavecchia is very easy (have done it several times). You can take a train from Termini station to Civitavecchia and then there is a local bus/shuttle or you can walk to the port (though you need a shuttle inside the port and it can be difficult to find). Not quite sure about the train ticket price but around Euro 10 I think. The bus is a couple extra Euros.

So you can save some money and I would definitely do the transfers myself if you plan to stay a couple of days in either Orlando or Rome. If you are going straight from airport it may be easier to stay with NCL transfers (especially if timing is on the tight side).

3 hours ago, The Traveling Man said:

There have been a number of posts on several CC forum threads which have reported problems with making connections when booking air travel through NCL.  Many passengers have traveled successfully, but some have encountered long delays, missed connections, multiple flight segments on routes which could have been served with a direct flight, or other issues.  Be aware that NCL is simply booking a flight for you and they likely will choose the least expensive option, regardless of convenience.  Also be aware that once you have your plane ticket, you're on your own.  NCL offers no warranties, either expressed or implied, that the flights they arrange for you will get you to the ship on time.  You can request a diversion, i.e. a flight which arrives a day or two prior to your cruise or one which returns you home a day or two after the conclusion of your cruise.  In any event, though, NCL does not guarantee that your flight will arrive in time for you to board the ship.  They usually will not delay the ship's departure, even if several passengers who have booked through NCL air have not yet arrived at the port.  NCL likewise is unlikely to offer you any compensation for missing the ship, offer to fly you to the next port on the ship's itinerary so you can board a day late, or otherwise tell you anything other than "sorry, you're on your own."  YMMV, but definitely caveat emptor.  I certainly would recommend purchasing travel insurance if you choose to let NCL arrange your air fare.

Since I live on the East Coast there probably (ha ha) isnt too much they could do except maybe make me sit in the airport until 10pm.  Surely if they put you on connecting fights there is some wiggle room for short delays. i.e. I hope they dont give you 40 minutes to connect to your next flight. The savings can be substantial. But I see your point.  I think deviating your flight might be a good idea and arrive a day early. It would be wise to do that even if you are arranging your own transportation because there can always be delays.

3 hours ago, Twolittleboys said:

I just took a transatlantic cruise from Port Canaveral and used GoPort's shuttle service. It worked fine and was $29.90 from MCO to Port Canaveral (but if you are staying elsewhere in Orlando you would have to first get to the airport). It ran from 10 am to 12:30 pm. I also checked out Uber and it was around $80 one way I believe.

Getting from Rome City to Civitavecchia is very easy (have done it several times). You can take a train from Termini station to Civitavecchia and then there is a local bus/shuttle or you can walk to the port (though you need a shuttle inside the port and it can be difficult to find). Not quite sure about the train ticket price but around Euro 10 I think. The bus is a couple extra Euros.

So you can save some money and I would definitely do the transfers myself if you plan to stay a couple of days in either Orlando or Rome. If you are going straight from airport it may be easier to stay with NCL transfers (especially if timing is on the tight side).

Thanks for the details, sounds doable.  I've never used Uber. Something about it doesnt appeal to me, not sure what.

1 minute ago, Smitheroo said:

Since I live on the East Coast there probably (ha ha) isnt too much they could do except maybe make me sit in the airport until 10pm.  Surely if they put you on connecting fights there is some wiggle room for short delays. i.e. I hope they dont give you 40 minutes to connect to your next flight. The savings can be substantial. But I see your point.  I think deviating your flight might be a good idea and arrive a day early. It would be wise to do that even if you are arranging your own transportation because there can always be delays.

They very easily might book you on a red eye flight.  They otherwise might book you on a morning flight that is scheduled to arrive at the airport near your cruise terminal just an hour or so before the cutoff for check in.  Either way, unless you ask for a diversion to arrive a day early, you could find yourself with either very little time to make it to the cruise terminal or bleary-eyed from an overnight flight.

Thanks for all the great advice. I remember how nervous I was back in 2013 trying to arrange my transport from the dock at Southampton to London. I was going to St Pancras station because I was taking a train north. I reserved a bus to Victoria Station, then was going to switch there to go to St Pancras. I cant remember exactly I think there were at least 3 connections, with a suitcase. My TA was useless arranging transport.  Fellow passengers told me about the Cunard transport service. I had no hesitation paying $75 for the bus ride to St Pancras. I just forfeited the bus ticket I had reserved. It was cheap.   Making these arrangements now isnt as scary.   I really like that website "Rome 2 Rio"

3 minutes ago, The Traveling Man said:

They very easily might book you on a red eye flight.  They otherwise might book you on a morning flight that is scheduled to arrive at the airport near your cruise terminal just an hour or so before the cutoff for check in.  Either way, unless you ask for a diversion to arrive a day early, you could find yourself with either very little time to make it to the cruise terminal or bleary-eyed from an overnight flight.

they would really have your arrive that close to the time you need to board? That is awful.  The red eye isnt as bad, at least you wouldnt be late.   Probably a good idea to ask for a diversion. 

Just now, Smitheroo said:

they would really have your arrive that close to the time you need to board? That is awful.  The red eye isnt as bad, at least you wouldnt be late.   Probably a good idea to ask for a diversion. 

The flight might be scheduled to arrive in plenty of time, but there have been lots of reports on CC of late flights resulting in either rushing to get to the ship or even "missing the boat."

Just now, The Traveling Man said:

The flight might be scheduled to arrive in plenty of time, but there have been lots of reports on CC of late flights resulting in either rushing to get to the ship or even "missing the boat."

yikes, I would be livid.  Starting to think twice about using the Air Fare promo now. 

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, The Traveling Man said:

I couldn't agree more.  I've heard enough horror stories of flights booked by a cruiseline to write a book.  But there are people who 'don't care' because they save so much money.  Unless I can be on the phone with the Air Desk when booking and receive the airline's confirmation number plus seat assignments, I'd rather book air myself.  

• Like 1

Flying is such a crap shoot any more I strongly advise flying to Orlando the day before. Hotels are plentiful near the airport and prices are reasonable.

Trip insurance is another must.

I would book the air special and when you get close to final payment, use Google flights to see if you save any significant $$s. If not, book your own flights and cancel NCL's air.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, FLAHAM said:

In Orlando, if saving a few bucks is important, use the NCL shuttle.  If you want to begin your vacation in comfort and at your own schedule, take an Uber from your hotel to ship side. 

That was never my experience. Self booking was always cheaper. Timing might have something to do with it though.

@Smitheroo am excited to hear about your Epic TA because we will be on a return leg from Europe to Orlando in Nov 2024. Seems like a quirky ship with whom people have a love-hate relationship. 

Regarding Orlando, it's very easy to get from the port to the airport and vice-versa. Tons of options - even your dreaded Uber. Some advice for Orlando Ubers / taxis:

1) Many of the drivers are not primary English-speaking and may not be great conversationalists if you do not speak Spanish or Creole (if you are into chatting). Always super-nice and pleasant (I take an uber at least 3-4 times / month for work and have yet to run into anyone unpleasant).

2) The trip from the airport to the terminal is not scenic. It is highway, packed with some of the worst road-raging drivers in the world for the first 30 miles. Not relaxing.

3) There are plenty of taxi / uber options at the airport - yes, you can book in advance and it's more expensive than a shuttle, but you can also go to the taxi-stands pretty much 24/7 and get a quick and easy ride. 

In regards to your flight - I echo everyone else in saying come at least a day early. There is so much to do in the area, and Port Canaveral also is packed with cool activities. Do not pass up the Kennedy Space Center if you have an extra day - 15 minutes from the cruise port and is awe-inspiring. 

I look forward to hearing about your trip! Warmest, Amy

• Like 1

4 hours ago, amygutman said:

@Smitheroo am excited to hear about your Epic TA because we will be on a return leg from Europe to Orlando in Nov 2024. Seems like a quirky ship with whom people have a love-hate relationship. 

Regarding Orlando, it's very easy to get from the port to the airport and vice-versa. Tons of options - even your dreaded Uber. Some advice for Orlando Ubers / taxis:

1) Many of the drivers are not primary English-speaking and may not be great conversationalists if you do not speak Spanish or Creole (if you are into chatting). Always super-nice and pleasant (I take an uber at least 3-4 times / month for work and have yet to run into anyone unpleasant).

2) The trip from the airport to the terminal is not scenic. It is highway, packed with some of the worst road-raging drivers in the world for the first 30 miles. Not relaxing.

3) There are plenty of taxi / uber options at the airport - yes, you can book in advance and it's more expensive than a shuttle, but you can also go to the taxi-stands pretty much 24/7 and get a quick and easy ride. 

In regards to your flight - I echo everyone else in saying come at least a day early. There is so much to do in the area, and Port Canaveral also is packed with cool activities. Do not pass up the Kennedy Space Center if you have an extra day - 15 minutes from the cruise port and is awe-inspiring. 

I look forward to hearing about your trip! Warmest, Amy

Thank you. I havent booked yet but its # 1 on my list.  I think its a good idea to go early and would love to see the Kennedy Space Center.  I'm thinking maybe make my own way to the ship  (since there are many options to get to Florida)  and use NCL Air to return home from Rome.   (if that's allowed, I cant see why not)

3 hours ago, Smitheroo said:

Thank you. I havent booked yet but its # 1 on my list.  I think its a good idea to go early and would love to see the Kennedy Space Center.  I'm thinking maybe make my own way to the ship  (since there are many options to get to Florida)  and use NCL Air to return home from Rome.   (if that's allowed, I cant see why not)

Seems like a great plan. 

Just pay attention to the website if you are booking tickets to Space Center. There are lots of websites that look like the "official" website. These sites are independent, and whilst you will get tickets (usually prices are exactly the same as on the official website), NONE of the money goes to maintenance / programs of the actual KSC including tons of charity work, school educational programs and wildlife conservation. Only www.kennedyspacecenter.com is the "official" website. 

Warmest, Amy

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, amygutman said:

Seems like a great plan. 

Just pay attention to the website if you are booking tickets to Space Center. There are lots of websites that look like the "official" website. These sites are independent, and whilst you will get tickets (usually prices are exactly the same as on the official website), NONE of the money goes to maintenance / programs of the actual KSC including tons of charity work, school educational programs and wildlife conservation. Only www.kennedyspacecenter.com is the "official" website. 

Warmest, Amy

Thanks for the tip!

• Like 1