Transportation HELP

cruzbound

Hi,

We are coming to Kauai via cruise ship (NCL) and booked an excursion (not through the ship) and I am trying to figure out how to get to it.  They do not provide transportation.  It is the river tubing with Kaua'i Backcountry Adventures.  They are located on Kuhio Highway in Lihue. 

Can anyone provide me with recommendations on how we should get there?  If possible I prefer to have some form of transportation booked before we arrive on the island but we can just go with the flow when we get there (if taxi is the best way).  We are on the island overnight so we don't have to rush back to the ship that day, so not sure if renting a car is a better way to go but then I need suggestions on how and where to do this.  I appreciate any help.

Thanks,

cruzbound

7 hours ago, cruzbound said:

If possible I prefer to have some form of transportation booked before we arrive on the island but we can just go with the flow when we get there (if taxi is the best way).

Book a taxi in advance. There aren't enough taxis (or Ubers) for the amount of people that plow off of these big ships in Kauai and the lines can be really long sometimes. Kauai doesn't have the same amount of available ground transportation that places like Oahu and Maui do. Do not expect to just waltz off the ship and right into a waiting taxi. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, georgiacat said:

In May 2023 we used https://www.kauaitaxico.com   808-246-9554.  They were very easy to deal with.  I am glad I reserved them ahead of time for our activities.  We were pleased with their service, clean and prompt.

Good to know. We'll need a ride to our car rental next year, and positive comments are very helpful when choosing.

I contacted Kauai Taxi Co to prearrange a taxi to the airport to pick up rental car and was quoted $45.  We walked off around 8:15ish and there were a few taxis lined up, not many but there were no people waiting for any.  Our driver took us to the airport and headed straight back to the ship.  It was $20.  We did not have anywhere we had to be by a certain time that day though so that does make a difference.  We were just driving to the Canyon and the beach. That should give you an idea about charges though!