Summit Bermuda Cruise Review

JNAL2T

LauraS
This post was recognized by LauraS!

"Thank you for sharing your review with everyone at Cruise Critic. Please consider submitting it to the site for publication as well: Click: Write a Review."

JNAL2T was awarded the badge 'Great Review'

I was onboard a recent  Celebrity Summit Bermuda cruise,  This was my first post pandemic cruise and my second one on the Summit. I've always loved Celebrity cruises(my favorite is the Constellation) but this was a very different experience for me. This was just our experience, I'm sure others have sailed without issues. I was discouraged by the behaviors of my fellow cruisers and how no one seemed to say a word. For instance, seeing the same girl two different days wearing a bikini with no cover up in the Oceanview café, on  two different instances, a family had their toddler in a swim diaper in the hot tub for over an hour, I just skipped the hottubs! The Thasslotherapy pool was overrun by kids even though the sign said family time was 5-7, they were in there all different times of the day.  This was really discouraging, I always found that area relaxing. Food was good but no where near the variety of the past. 

People were down right rude to staff and it made me so uneasy, one gentleman was banging the silverware container on the counter because it was empty, the girl said, I'm sorry sir it will be right out and he huffed it wasn't helping him. Meanwhile other bins of silverware were inches away.

The staff were different, our room was suppose to be split beds and they were together for our girls trip. No problem we asked for a change but it didn't happen until the next day when asked again. I get they are overworked but just not the same smiling attentiveness. We sat down poolside on some chairs and their were dirty dishes on the table nearby. After an hour, I carried them up to the bar and asked where I could put them since I got tired of the mess. I know these are minor issues but it seemed to add up. On the last sea day, I went to put my lounge chair flat and cut my finger terribly because it snapped back due to a missing piece. 

I'm not saying all this to complain, it was a good cruise, I loved Bermuda but things are really, really different in the post pandemic cruise world. Two of the three of us returned from the cruise and had Covid within three days. (we drove to the port so had to be on the cruise)

Thanks for your review and I'm truly sorry to read where things came up short for you. Last time you were on Summit, was it the same itinerary and same time of year?

Sorry to hear about the disappointing aspects of your cruise.

We cruised the Summit a few months ago and had a few similar situations.

I must point out though , that Our Waiter in the MDR was as good or better as anyone

that ever took care of us in over 15 cruises. The crew at Al Baccio was outstanding.

As far as the Solarium goes , I get it. X needs to enforce the regulations there or it defeats the whole purpose of having an adults only space on the ship.

Hopefully your future cruises will be without so many disappointments.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

First, sorry to hear you cut your finger badly and that you encountered guests who chose not to obey the rules.     Agree that Celebrity needs to enforce the rules. Rules were put into place for a reason.  

Speedy recovery from Covid.   It is still out there unfortunately 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, mahdnc said:

Thanks for your review and I'm truly sorry to read where things came up short for you. Last time you were on Summit, was it the same itinerary and same time of year?

I was on Summit to the Caribbean last cruise on her, in January...I imagine that can make a big difference!

4 minutes ago, JNAL2T said:

I was on Summit to the Caribbean last cruise on her, in January...I imagine that can make a big difference!

I agree, that's why I was asking.  The rules still need to be enforced though.

Edited by mahdnc
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, JNAL2T said:

I'm not saying all this to complain, it was a good cruise, I loved Bermuda but things are really, really different in the post pandemic cruise world. Two of the three of us returned from the cruise and had Covid within three days. (we drove to the port so had to be on the cruise)

Thank you fro your review. I loved the M class ships on Celebrity. I  think that post COVID many cruise lines are struggling to  return to pre- pandemic times.  I love Bermuda and would like to  do a Bermuda cruise, but will pass on the summer sailings on the Summit and Celebrity. 

Hope you recover quickly and find a future cruise that works for you. 

We were in the June 4th Summit sailing to Bermuda.

We found the staff to be welcoming and quite helpful.

Our room steward was excellent. We were in an Aqua cabin, so we went to Blu for dinner. The wait staff there was very good and we were always seated at a window table.

The ship was at full capacity according to Guest Services.

We found the fellow passengers to be fine. The demographic of the passengers seemed to lean  to older ages. We shared some interesting , pleasant conversations with fellow passengers that we met along the way.There were few children,that we saw on board.

Later date cruises during school summer vacation may attract a different group.

Unfortunately,I tested positive for Covid the Tuesday after we returned home from the cruise. We also drove to the pier at Bayonne, so no air flights or hotel stays were involved. I believe I caught the virus on the ship.

My symptoms were intestinal, so I thought I had Norovirus until I tested myself. There had been a Noro outbreak on the ship two weeks prior to our cruise.

Servers were still plating food in the buffet which we thought was a good idea.

The ship has been nicely renovated with lighter colors and comfortable seating throughout the ship.

If it wasn’t for getting Covid and more son my long recovery from the virus,we would  plan another  Summit cruise.

As for now, we cannot envision going on another cruise for a long time,if ever again.

MJ

May I ask what date? I was on the June 18th sailing on Summit to Bermuda, and didn't find any issues really. It was my 8th Summit to Bermuda cruising and I have to say that it was just as enjoyable as in the past. The ONE critique I have is for the cabin attendant who regularly did not set up the beds as we wanted (I had a family veranda) and wasn't as available as I'd like, but in her defense, our week was her first sailing. Other than that, the staff was super attentive and the guests that we were around anyway, were pleasant and polite. So sorry to hear this was your experience.