Boston - Bus rides

Tall22

Has anyone taken a bus from the port to the Boston Public Garden? If so, please share the details of the line you took and did it require transfers? Are the buses reliable for getting back to the ship at the end of the day?

49 minutes ago, Nitemare said:

I would take the MBTA Silver Line bus transit option to South Station then take the Free Transfer to the Red Line to Park Street Station

You might also change again at Park Street Under and get an outbound green line car two stops to Arlington station, which is at the corner of the public garden. In comparison, at Park Street station itself you do have walk across the common to get to the public garden, not a terribly long walk. It is generally reliable to use the bus for returning to vessel at the end of the day. From within the subway you will want to find the Silver Line, then board a bus on the SL2 branch (to "Design Center" or "Drydock") for the trip back to port.

In general, there are few local buses in downtown Boston, because the city is quite walkable and the subways serve most transportation needs. If you're going to travel much in Boston, then be certain to download a full Boston transportation map from here: http://www.mbta.com/bus-map.Boston-MBTA-Map-JPEG.jpg

Just a note that the above is not a current MBTA map, it's missing the Green Line Extension (which won't come into play for the purposes of this thread) which is how I know it isn't current.  I'm not sure what else might have changed since this one was published

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Nitemare said:

Just a note that the above is not a current MBTA map, it's missing the Green Line Extension (which won't come into play for the purposes of this thread) which is how I know it isn't current.  I'm not sure what else might have changed since this one was published

Best to download the current map using the provided hyperlink.