Queen Victoria - Occasional "drainy" odour usually when in port

Firedobber

33 minutes ago, Firedobber said:

Thank you all for your comments so far. 

Perhaps this is a common occurrence on cruise ships in general from time to time?

Not usually - it's been fine before now with no odours like that.  Occasionally you get a bit of diesel type aroma on deck near the lifeboat davits but not internally within the ship.

5 minutes ago, ballroom-cruisers said:

Not usually - it's been fine before now with no odours like that.  Occasionally you get a bit of diesel type aroma on deck near the lifeboat davits but not internally within the ship.

Thank you. Definitely not a fuel odour, obviously "drainy" and usually when in port.

13 hours ago, Firedobber said:

Thank you. Definitely not a fuel odour, obviously "drainy" and usually when in port.

My first thought was bunkering fuel, but if it’s not a fuel odour then could it be emptying the sewage tanks onto a barge? I know in a perfect world going from a sealed tank to a sealed tank shouldn’t allow any odour release but we also know the world ain’t perfect.

16 hours ago, Colin_Cameron said:

My first thought was bunkering fuel, but if it’s not a fuel odour then could it be emptying the sewage tanks onto a barge? I know in a perfect world going from a sealed tank to a sealed tank shouldn’t allow any odour release but we also know the world ain’t perfect.

Almost no ships pump sewage to barges, and anyway, the tanks are not "sealed" as there has to be venting to allow air into/out of the tank as it is filled/emptied.

Generally, a sewer smell on ships is caused by dry traps on drains.  Drains that don't see water into them often (like the bathroom drain in your cabin, or drains in technical lockers around the ship) have the dry AC air dry out the water in the trap, which allows the odors to come back up from the tank.  Notify a crew member about where you smell the odor, and they can pour some water down the drain and the odor immediately goes away.

• Like 2