Family Suite, Deck 1 -- Main Deck -- Previously inside room on Deck 6 -- did we make a mistake?

So, we got an email from Holland America today, saying that we could upgrade our room. We're on the Rotterdam. The offer was for a "Preferred Limited Upgrade" to a Family Oceanview Stateroom on Level 1 -- we previously had an interior room on Level 6. Both rooms are/were toward the back section of the ship. Well, when I saw that the Family Oceanview room had a bathroom-and-a-half, it sold me, so I made the upgrade. Now I'm wondering if I did the right thing, so here I am! I'd love to hear from anyone who's had a room on Level 1 -- was there a lot of noise, or movement, or something that made you wish you hadn't been on the first level? Thank you so much for any advice/help/information you can share!

I only can say that the inside cabins on the Pinnacle class ships are tiny. I don’t mind an inside cabin but never again on a Pinnacle class ship like the Rotterdam.   I think you did the right thing

Edited by Mary229
  • Like 2

I cruised with my daughter on Rotterdam in the family ocean view on deck one and it was awesome!! You will love it. I love the lower decks. It was very quiet and that extra shower and sink was wonderful! 

• Like 1

We loved this cabin!  The extra bathroom is tiny, but fine for kids. Shower is OK, but small. We did not use this extra bathroom very much...but loved the size of the cabin, the extra cupboards, shelving and drawers. It has a spacious feel.

Deck one is excellent, especially aft of the elevators. A more private area, just up the stairs to the Main Dining Room :) and just around the corner from the elevators to the Lido.  

• Like 2

I want to tell you that you made a mistake because I think these are one of the best kept secrets of the HAL fleet but in good conscience I can't do that.  Actually, I was personally a bit disappointed because I really wanted the bath tub but the tub is Tiny, a standard sized bath mat fills the whole tub.  Other than that the cabin was awesome, convenient to the public rooms (I was in the front section) and very well laid out.  Do be aware that while there is a tub and shower in separate rooms (and two sinks) there is only one commode.  There are photos of several of the cabins on halfacts:

https://halfacts.com/pinnacle-class/

The 3 pinnacle ships are sisters and the cabins are alike between them so you can look at any of the Family cabins--  They are identified as "F OV"

Roy

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

10 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

I want to tell you that you made a mistake because I think these are one of the best kept secrets of the HAL fleet but in good conscience I can't do that.  Actually, I was personally a bit disappointed because I really wanted the bath tub but the tub is Tiny, a standard sized bath mat fills the whole tub.  Other than that the cabin was awesome, convenient to the public rooms (I was in the front section) and very well laid out.  Do be aware that while there is a tub and shower in separate rooms (and two sinks) there is only one commode.  There are photos of several of the cabins on halfacts:

https://halfacts.com/pinnacle-class/

The 3 pinnacle ships are sisters and the cabins are alike between them so you can look at any of the Family cabins--  They are identified as "F OV"

Roy

Hi Roy, did you experience any noise from the theater in your cabin.  We are scheduled to sail in a family room forward in the  fall 2024.

14 minutes ago, Mary229 said:

Hi Roy, did you experience any noise from the theater in your cabin.  We are scheduled to sail in a family room forward in the  fall 2024.

I did not.  I think the Family cabins are near the stairs and are fairly far from the state.  I was also on the Koningsdam in 1014 and did not have a problem there either.

Roy

• Thanks 1

I have limited experience having only been on one previous cruise but it was an OV on deck one. I loved the view out the window. The water was so close. I’ve booked my next cruise on deck one since I did like the quiet location. Both cabins (past and future) are aft but any engine noise is mainly white noise unless arriving in port. It never bothered me. In fact my BIL, who was in the very last cabin towards the rear, thought we had the premium cabins, not what is considered the least desirable by many. 

• Like 1

Like @bajae I quite like being very close to the water; we've been blessed with amazing dolphin, whale and otter shows. We also prefer a true aft view as we like the wake views. They also tend to encourage the wildlife viewings as dolphins like playing in the wake.

2 hours ago, Haljo1935 said:

Like @bajae I quite like being very close to the water; we've been blessed with amazing dolphin, whale and otter shows. We also prefer a true aft view as we like the wake views. They also tend to encourage the wildlife viewings as dolphins like playing in the wake.

This is good to know.  You would usually find me on the uppermost decks enjoying the sweeping vistas.  We are booked in this for next fall and I am relieved to hear all of the popular sentiment. 

I love deck one.  Very quiet.  The advantage of having no verandah, is no noise from cabins next door.  No slamming verandah doors and all that.  One flight up to club orange and it's just so easy.  The view out the window is amazing.

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, albingirl said:

I love deck one.  Very quiet.  The advantage of having no verandah, is no noise from cabins next door.  No slamming verandah doors and all that.  One flight up to club orange and it's just so easy.  The view out the window is amazing.

Hey - I never considered the lack of door slamming by not having neighboring balconies,  but you're right, so much quieter!!