Zoll LifeVest - Portable Defibrillator

My husband was recently diagnosed with a heart condition and is required to wear a Zoll LifeVest. His doctors have cleared him (we have a note of the approval) to go on our cruise as planned.

Has anyone been on a Carnival Cruise while wearing a Zoll Life Vest?  If so, what was your experience? We are just wondering what we can expect.

I called Carnival (the rep I talked to didn’t know anything about this and said to send an email). We sent an email explaining the vest and included the release from the doctor.

We have not received a response from Carnival. 

Wearing the vest onboard will be no different from wearing it on land?  What are you expecting that will be different?  My husband was talked into wearing one (from a ZOLL rep) after he had open heart surgery and his EF was very low. 

We happened to be getting ready to leave for a trip to the beach.  The day after he was fitted, he drove us the 7 hours.  This was just a few weeks after open having the open heart surgery to repair a faulty valve.    He lasted  about 10 days wearing the vest, and then refused.  The thing drove him crazy!    He went for several weeks without anything and then his cardiologist recommended he get a portable defibrillator installed under his armpit area.  Has had it almost 5 years now.  Best thing he ever did!!!  

We also live in Tennessee. 😉

One more thing worth mentioning.  While on the cruise, you will not be able to send data from the vest to the Zoll people without a good internet connection.  I think that is correct.  It may just be the defibrillator that sends data.  We have gone on several 3 week cruise/land vacations where data was not sent in.  It was fine.  

Edited by Iamthesea

FYI, there is a chance you may be denied boarding.  Even though you have a release from your physician, the cruise contract (item 6) gives the ship's physician sole authority to deny boarding to anyone they feel is not fit for travel.

Edited by Chief93

1 hour ago, Iamthesea said:

Wearing the vest onboard will be no different from wearing it on land?  What are you expecting that will be different?  My husband was talked into wearing one (from a ZOLL rep) after he had open heart surgery and his EF was very low. 

We happened to be getting ready to leave for a trip to the beach.  The day after he was fitted, he drove us the 7 hours.  This was just a few weeks after open having the open heart surgery to repair a faulty valve.    He lasted  about 10 days wearing the vest, and then refused.  The thing drove him crazy!    He went for several weeks without anything and then his cardiologist recommended he get a portable defibrillator installed under his armpit area.  Has had it almost 5 years now.  Best thing he ever did!!!  

We also live in Tennessee. 😉

One more thing worth mentioning.  While on the cruise, you will not be able to send data from the vest to the Zoll people without a good internet connection.  I think that is correct.  It may just be the defibrillator that sends data.  We have gone on several 3 week cruise/land vacations where data was not sent in.  It was fine.  

We have already told Zoll when we will be on vacation and that we will not have internet to send data so that is not an issue.

What I meant about experiencing it was dealing with Carnival and what that process looked like.

I can not address cruising on Carnival with the Zoll Life Vest, but want to offer a suggestion.

When my husband was required to wear one for monitoring purposes, he found that after a few washings of the vest that it would roll up from the bottom.

The solution was to wrap a wide ace bandage around the bottom edge of the vest to keep it in place.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, lovecruising1998 said:

We have already told Zoll when we will be on vacation and that we will not have internet to send data so that is not an issue.

What I meant about experiencing it was dealing with Carnival and what that process looked like.

I still do not understand your question. 😊 Why do you need to involve Carnival?  You do not need anything special for your stateroom for the vest to work, do you?  No extension cord needed like for a C-Pack.  I know the vest has a rechargeable battery, but your stateroom will have a few outlets.  

Are you concerned about security?  DH is suppose to tell airport security that he needs a private check because of his defibrillator.  TSA always looks at him like he is an idiot.  They don't care.  They run him through the machine everytime.

Homosassa - Good idea!  My DH had two vest.  One to wear while the other was being washed.  I don't remembering him complaining about the vest rolling up, but he probably did not wear it long enough.

Edited by Iamthesea

I'm a nurse and would say the only hesitation would be if the vest were to go off the care afterward would be difficult. They can run a full code but to have the anti arrhythmics onboard that they would need is not probable. However, with that said. I live in a way that says to go for it. Life is too short not to cruise. Make sure he stays up on his electrolytes. Don't get dehydrated! Eat enough potassium and magnesium. 😁

• Like 1

Thank you! He has been looking forward to this cruise for a year. He chooses not to live in fear therefore as long as Carnival will let him cruise, we are going for it.

I appreciate your comment about the what if it goes off. We are willing to take the risk. 

• Like 3

• 4 months later...