St. Thomas vs. San Juan

latebuyer

I have a choice of 2 cruises, one goes to san juan and one goes to st thomas. I prefer the dates to st. Thomas but have always wanted to go to st. Juan although sounds maybe busier then i want. Can someone let me know the attributes of st. Thomas over san juan?

If you're a beach person, St Thomas is the better option. If you love history, San Juan is better, but it's an urban environment. The best beaches in PR are on Culebra and Vieques, though some like Isla Verde. Water is rougher by PR than VI.

• Like 1

Yes, there may be more than one food tour. I took one before covid, and it was very good, but it's probably changed since then. There were more sweet than savory servings, though.

Other than both island's St. Thomas and Puerto Rico being in the same, the western hemisphere they have absolutely nothing else in common.

Puerto Rico I have nothing positive to say about this island so I'm not going to say anymore. Stay on ship. Don't think stay on the ship.

St. Thomas on the other hand pulling into Crown Bay or Havensight is always a treat. Sun always shining kiosks always selling ice cold beer, soda and more beer. Taxi's everywhere with polite and friendly drivers(EVERY TIME). Take you anywhere on the island you wish to go no worries.

You can walk around Charlotte Amalie shopping and drinking at the same time and really relax and enjoy the great vibe. EVERYONE smiling having a good time. You walk around downtown San Juan with a drink and a smile, your done. Walk around downtown Charlotte Amalie with a drink and smile you get invited in for more with a drink and a smile. 

You would be much better off comparing San Juan P.R. with Haiti. Exact same thing. 

• Thanks 1

The drinking laws are different in VI and PR as TTEllis points out. 

PR has the 2 forts within walking distance of each other and both are free to enter. Rangers lead tours which are very interesting, but schedule varies. I try to plan my visit around the guided tour schedules.

St Thomas does have history, but the attractions are not as convenient as the ones in PR. The fort may be closed on local and federal holidays, may not be open on weekends, and charges a fee. Blackbeard's Castle is closed, and has been for years. The Historical Trust Museum also has an erratic schedule.

I can spend the day wandering the streets of Old San Juan marveling at the beautiful buildings. I can walk Charlotte Amalie in maybe 30 minutes.

9 hours ago, latebuyer said:

Thanks. I’ve heard San Juan described as dirty, so i know not everyone is a fan. However it looked like st. Thomas has some history too, from what i’ve read.

Your welcome.

"dirty" San Juan is filthy and dark. 

St. Thomas is clean fun and the sun shines ALL THE TIME. Well maybe not ALL THE TIME but pretty close😎.

3 hours ago, Ms411 said:

The drinking laws are different in VI and PR as TTEllis points out. 

PR has the 2 forts within walking distance of each other and both are free to enter. Rangers lead tours which are very interesting, but schedule varies. I try to plan my visit around the guided tour schedules.

St Thomas does have history, but the attractions are not as convenient as the ones in PR. The fort may be closed on local and federal holidays, may not be open on weekends, and charges a fee. Blackbeard's Castle is closed, and has been for years. The Historical Trust Museum also has an erratic schedule.

I can spend the day wandering the streets of Old San Juan marveling at the beautiful buildings. I can walk Charlotte Amalie in maybe 30 minutes.

You missed your calling you should have been a travel agent. 

12 hours ago, latebuyer said:

Thanks. I’ve heard San Juan described as dirty, so i know not everyone is a fan. However it looked like st. Thomas has some history too, from what i’ve read.

St. Thomas everything about St. Thomas is INVITING. Putting the word "inviting" and San Juan Puerto Rico in the same vocabulary much less sentence, would be disingenuous just for starters and could get you in trouble.

St. Thomas has a wonderful history. 

A history of wonderful beaches a history of wonderful bars and restaurants a history of beautiful water and a history of more wonderful beaches. That's all the history on my vacation I can do. 

• The drinking laws are different in VI and PR as TTEllis points out. 

I can only tell my experiences, so I may not be able to state in writing that any destination is "safe." I try to research, and be cautious no matter where I travel.

I did have my wallet lifted when on the Urban Train in PR, but I may not have secured it in my usual manner. The Urban Train and its passengers communicate mostly in Spanish, so I was more vulnerable there.

But, in Old San Juan I have met guys while I was out drinking, and walked around the town at night with them. I have walked all over Old San Juan alone at all hours.

I have never had an incident in St Thomas, and I talk to strangers all the time. I try to stay in popular tourist areas, and back away if others are acting aggressively. 

I don't think either destination has recent or many crimes involving tourists. Residents are more subject to crime.

56 minutes ago, Ms411 said:

I can only tell my experiences, so I may not be able to state in writing that any destination is "safe." I try to research, and be cautious no matter where I travel.

I did have my wallet lifted when on the Urban Train in PR, but I may not have secured it in my usual manner. The Urban Train and its passengers communicate mostly in Spanish, so I was more vulnerable there.

But, in Old San Juan I have met guys while I was out drinking, and walked around the town at night with them. I have walked all over Old San Juan alone at all hours.

I have never had an incident in St Thomas, and I talk to strangers all the time. I try to stay in popular tourist areas, and back away if others are acting aggressively. 

I don't think either destination has recent or many crimes involving tourists. Residents are more subject to crime.

If you aren't a lawyer you should have been. Lawyer or politician, your good!! I love how you do that!!

😂😂😂😂

3 hours ago, Ms411 said:

Which law school did you go too?!!😂😂 LMAO!! Here's the best part you actually believe what you just wrote.🤭🤭 

That's incredible. 

"aggressively" St. Thomas? 😳

Charlotte Amalie all hours day and night, we were all to high, hammered, or stonered to move much less get aggressive. That was everybody not just me. 

The only thing aggressive was us having another drink smoking another fatty and having more fun. 

Getting back on the ship at Havensight never did much for me. 

San Juan, rutro Houston we have a problem. A big one. 

San Juan is another day.

I can't do San Juan tonight.

Your welcome.

WE certainly do have an incredible way of "sugarcoating" don't WE!! 

Top shelf law school they did a GREAT job.😉