Visa for Brazil?

Both  countries use to require visas in early 2000’s then both agreed not to. Now I have heard the US is requiring them so Brazil is too. Probably no pass for cruise passengers and the past they were very expressive. 

Edited by cwn

19 minutes ago, cwn said:

Auto correct😖 expensive!

Use your imagination.

Ah! I did start to use my imagination, and came up with some odd thoughts about expressive visas! 🤣 In hindsight, "expensive" should have been a logical mental substitution; it just wasn't apparent to me at the moment.

Yes, as of Oct 1st US citizens will be required to obtain a visa to visit Brazil.  When Brazil announced this change, they said they would implement an e-visa program and that US citizens could obtain the visa entirely online at a cost of $80.  Brazil being Brazil, this online mechanism is not yet available.  I've got an Amazon cruise in Dec and I'm a tad concerned that the online e-visa won't be ready in time.  My backup plan is to wait until Oct 1st and if the e-visa is still MIA, I will use the existing, but cumbersome, mail-in visa application. It would be nice if Regent communicated a bit about this new visa requirement, but they have been silent.  I suspect there will be a number of people who will remain unaware of this change and will run into problems (we are beyond final payment).  On other cruise lines/itineraries the cruise line has sometimes stepped in and obtained the visas for a fee.  As of now, everything is kind of up in the air.

Here's an existing thread on the subject from the South America port board....

15 minutes ago, RELS said:

There will (probably) be an evisa available for US citizens. The ivisa website has extensive details:

https://www.ivisa.com/brazil/blog/brazil-visa-requirements-for-us-citizens

I'm hoping that once Brazil implements their e-visa program, it will be easy to apply directly on the government website and there will be no need to pay extra for a visa service's  assistance.  Time will tell.