E-Class set early & late dining-Available on Apex, any others?

kwokpot

This thread may be opening a can of worms but it's a necessary discussion since it's an important topic that impacts the guest experience.

To recap starting last Fall there seemed to be a change on E-Class ships where there were no longer set early or late seating for dinner. When the Edge debuted in winter of 2018 if you booked early or late seating you would receive a card in your cabin on embarkation day telling you which dining room and table you have been assigned to for you early or late dinner. That's how it was done for the Edge and Apex until the Beyond started their Caribbean sailings last October, 2022. We were on the Beyond with my parents who booked early seating but when they embarked there was no table assignment card and speaking with various ship staff they were informed that set early and late seatings were eliminated. Now you just go when you want to eat to any of the three dining rooms.

Here on Cruise Critic it was determined that this dining change also occurred on the Edge and Apex. There were many threads discussing this issue and it caused much worry and dismay, mostly because Celebrity declined to alert their guests of the change. Now it seems the change has been reversed, at least on the Apex. What about the Edge and Beyond? 

Photos below of the current Apex daily planner facilities hours and a photo of the original Edge ship set late dining assignment card from 2018.

PXL_20230709_111736988.jpg

IMG_20181222_171949661.jpg

Edited by kwokpot

A similar situation happened to us on the Equinox in May.

We had selected and confirmed early dining ( 6 pm ).

We found a card in our stateroom that said 8:30.

Had to go to the Maitre’D and do the song and dance for first 2 nights , at which point we were assigned a permanent table for early dining for the duration of the cruise.

We were not happy, to say it is annoying is an understatement. 
Hope it goes better for you.🍀👍

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, horseymike said:

A similar situation happened to us on the Equinox in May.

We had selected and confirmed early dining ( 6 pm ).

We found a card in our stateroom that said 8:30.

Had to go to the Maitre’D and do the song and dance for first 2 nights , at which point we were assigned a permanent table for early dining for the duration of the cruise.

We were not happy, to say it is annoying is an understatement. 
Hope it goes better for you.🍀👍

We currently having anytime dining in which I made pre-cruise reservations and so far there hasn't been any issues. My post is more about surveying whether set seating is or isn't available currently on the various E-Class ships.

I am surprised you had an issue with getting set early seating,which you confirmed pre-cruise, on an S-Class ship . 

I try be be organized for the most part when planning a cruise , especially when it comes to dining reservations, because everything else , at least for us , pretty much revolves around that.

When you arrive at your cabin or the Maitre D ‘ podium only to be told your scheduled dining time is the opposite of what your confirmed reservation is makes  you ask the question, why make a reservation ?

• Like 1

I remember the CC discussions when the change was announced last year about no set time seatings on E Class ships, which made sense do to them having 4 different and distinct MDR's. Now it appears that is no longer the case, at least on your cruise, maybe Celebrity corporate caved on all the complaints from people insisting on set time dining?

19 minutes ago, terrydtx said:

I remember the CC discussions when the change was announced last year about no set time seatings on E Class ships, which made sense do to them having 4 different and distinct MDR's. Now it appears that is no longer the case, at least on your cruise, maybe Celebrity corporate caved on all the complaints from people insisting on set time dining?

I went to the Captain's Club to ask about the dining policy and it wasn't a productive discussion since all they did was confirm what's being done on the Apex and couldn't speak to any other E-Class ship nor to any corporate change regarding E-Class set dining policies. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, kwokpot said:

I went to the Captain's Club to ask about the dining policy and it wasn't a productive discussion since all they did was confirm what's being done on the Apex and couldn't speak to any other E-Class ship nor to any corporate change regarding E-Class set dining policies. 

Just more of Celebrity being consistent about being inconsistent.

• Thanks 1