Getting a Refund from Cunard / Carnival Corporation

Due to cruises cancelled due to covid and my father passing away we ended up with money owning, which we have asked Cunard to refund us.

(This is a very long story....., this is the short version.).

Has anyone had a refund from Cunard (Carnival PLC) before?

If so have you had it from HSBC Payment service?

I had to get $1.34 refunded from P&O and it recently came through from HSBC. It took around six months of back and forth emails, web chats, online forms and seven phone calls to P&O before I received the refund though, so perseverance may be necessary.

14 hours ago, Tripmode33 said:

My last two Princess folio refunds were through the HSBC Service. Worked well. I assume other Carnival ship lines would also be using it.  Hope you get the refund sorted soon.

How long did it take you to get the login code?

13 hours ago, colourbird said:

I had to get $1.34 refunded from P&O and it recently came through from HSBC. It took around six months of back and forth emails, web chats, online forms and seven phone calls to P&O before I received the refund though, so perseverance may be necessary.

How long did it take for you to get the login code?

9 minutes ago, Kiwi_cruiser said:

How long did it take for you to get the login code?

I waited a week and emailed P&O to let them know I only received one email from HSBC and no code and they emailed me one four days later.

9 hours ago, Kiwi_cruiser said:

How long did it take you to get the login code?

The first one, the code came through the next day. The second time, I waited a week then hopped on the online chat feature and they provided it to me straight away.

I had a refund from Cunard recently for $600-odd for a cruise I had to cancel. They refunded it very promptly to the credit card I had used to pay for it. HSBC was not involved and no code etc.

Keep on their case if you're having trouble - their accounting and call centre are really awful to deal with.

It's interesting I had opposite experiences with Princess and P&O. I needed refunds from both companies after my last two cruises. Princess had charged $13 for a drink I hadn't purchased. I had a couple of emails back and forwards and then a really friendly woman called me apologising and ended up giving me US$30 credit for my trouble.

On the other hand P&O charged $1.34 in credit card surcharges on my debit card. I spent over 100 minutes on the phone to various people and countless online chats, web forms and emails over five months till the $1.34 was refunded.

On 7/10/2023 at 12:51 PM, colourbird said:

I waited a week and emailed P&O to let them know I only received one email from HSBC and no code and they emailed me one four days later.

I have been waiting a month for the code 😞

• Like 1

On 7/10/2023 at 10:27 PM, Tripmode33 said:

The first one, the code came through the next day. The second time, I waited a week then hopped on the online chat feature and they provided it to me straight away.

I wish Cunard had a online chat 😞

1 hour ago, Kiwi_cruiser said:

If it takes too long the other link will expire. If it is possible to call them, that may help, they hate repeated calls that waste their call centre staff time.

My travel companion and I were each owed a $24 refund of refundable on board credit from Princess, which was supposed to go back to our respective credit cards. After enquiries from me, my companion got his refund in the form of $50 OBC on our next cruise, however I didn't get anything 🥴 For me there was a principle involved - long story that I won't go into.

Anyway, after numerous requests with no result, often being told it had been paid out when it hadn't, and many months ticking by, I decided to call them every day until it was resolved. After 4 or 5 days a very lovely lady emailed me, said she could see it hadn't been credited to me, gave me the $50 OBC on my next cruise PLUS a further $150 OBC to each of us for the inconvenience! So it pays to keep on at them. Good luck 💰

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Kiwi_cruiser said:

I wish Cunard had a online chat 😞

The Australian and New Zealand call centre for Cunard is absolutely useless and I say that from bitter experience. They cannot action anything or look up anything out of the ordinary. The seem to only be able to do what a customer can do on-line. (I've rung the Cunard UK call centre and the help I got was monumental - the person I spoke to was helpful and had the ability to take action for my request. Like chalk and cheese from the Aust/NZ call centre which is not in Aust or NZ at all).

I know someone who was on the same ill-fated cruise as me earlier this year who directly rang the Sydney office to speak to someone with some authority to get their issue resolved. That's what I'd be doing if I were you and what I would do next time I have an issue with them.

There's also the option of sending them an email via the website; it will take a while for them to answer but they will do so eventually. Or email the Australia NZ email for them which I think is: cunard.aspac@carnivalaustralia.com

On 7/10/2023 at 3:03 AM, Kiwi_cruiser said:

Due to cruises cancelled due to covid and my father passing away we ended up with money owning, which we have asked Cunard to refund us.

(This is a very long story....., this is the short version.).

Has anyone had a refund from Cunard (Carnival PLC) before?

If so have you had it from HSBC Payment service?

We cancelled a cruise in Feb this year, just before the cutoff deadline - 30 days? It was cancelled for medical reasons. We received 25% of what we had paid Cunard, paid back into the original credit card we had used to pay them, and the remainder from Travel Insurance.

Found it imperative to have a letter from Cunard stating that we had cancelled and the amount they had repaid, then a letter from GP with medical reasons for cancelling and making sure all the correct forms for both Cunard and Insurance were completed - and received ALL our money back. 

Most important - you must follow all their procedures and it works. I managed ALL of this via email. It can be done.

Good luck 👍

Edited by Porky55

On 7/12/2023 at 7:34 AM, Kiwi_cruiser said:

We had problems with the HSBC refund from Princess.

We filled out the form after getting the 1st email from them of course we didn't have the code (they said they had sent us one) , checked phone texts and emails for it. We requested a code, they sent us one and it didn't work, we did this three times and gave up.

Anyway we did as much as we could without the code and then tried again in about 5 days and the code they sent us this time worked.

We did get the refund but it shouldn't have been that frustrating and difficult.

This was quiet a few months ago now I'm disappointed that they have not fixed the bugs in the system.

I don't know if this has anything to do with your situation or not but I thought I'd mention it.

I've just looked at our browser history and we used Firefox to start with and then swapped across to Microsoft Edge which worked for us.