Our first river cruise will be during Christmas.

dianng

Has anyone taken a Viking river cruise on the Rhine from Amsterdam to Basel?  The ship departs Amsterdam on December 23, 2023 and arrives in Basel on January 1, 2024.  Do any of you know if the Christmas Markets will still be going on during those dates?  We want to reserve our Christmas river cruise soon so I'd appreciate any speedy responses.

Thank you...hope you're all enjoying a nice summer

Diann

14 minutes ago, dianng said:

Has anyone taken a Viking river cruise on the Rhine from Amsterdam to Basel?  The ship departs Amsterdam on December 23, 2023 and arrives in Basel on January 1, 2024.  Do any of you know if the Christmas Markets will still be going on during those dates?  We want to reserve our Christmas river cruise soon so I'd appreciate any speedy responses.

Thank you...hope you're all enjoying a nice summer

Diann

Typically, the Christmas Markets run up to and sometimes include Christmas Eve. I would be surprised if you find an active/ open market beyond Amsterdam. YMMV!

• Like 1

Hello- we're on this cruise.  Haqdeluxe is probably correct in that markets won't be open after the 24th. 

Are you able to fly in a few days early?  We're going to stay in The Hague for a few days pre-cruise, they are supposed to have a nice market.  The Hague is just a 30 minute train ride from Schipol airport, the train station is in the airport.

I'm wondering what Viking will do on Christmas day.  We're in Arnhem, which has tons to do: zoo, open air museum, Operation Market Garden museum...all great places we've visited and I would like to see again.  Pretty sure they'll all be closed. 

• Like 1

Most markets in Germany close on 23rd December. You will need to check individual places for details. I am sure Viking has arranged some nice things for you to do but Christmas is a Christian family affair, so regulations (law) and customs apply. Life after Christmas is low key and some places may be closed, especially those run by small organizations or volunteers.

An example: https://www.koelnerweihnachtsmarkt.com/de/

Christmas lights will be up until 6 January and I am sure a river cruise over Christmas is special but to see Christmas markets in full swing, go before 22 December. Again, check the websites of the ports you will be in to get more details.

notamermaid

14 hours ago, dianng said:

Has anyone taken a Viking river cruise on the Rhine from Amsterdam to Basel?

Yes, we've taken two, but from Basel to Amsterdam both times, and neither at Christmas.

If it's of any interest, my review of our April 2022 cruise is here

Viking Tialfi Cruise Ship: Review, Photos & Departure Ports on Cruise Critic

12 hours ago, ural guy said:

Hello- we're on this cruise.  Haqdeluxe is probably correct in that markets won't be open after the 24th. 

Are you able to fly in a few days early?  We're going to stay in The Hague for a few days pre-cruise, they are supposed to have a nice market.  The Hague is just a 30 minute train ride from Schipol airport, the train station is in the airport.

I'm wondering what Viking will do on Christmas day.  We're in Arnhem, which has tons to do: zoo, open air museum, Operation Market Garden museum...all great places we've visited and I would like to see again.  Pretty sure they'll all be closed. 

Thank you for your response.  Although we've taken about 40-45 cruises, this will be our first 'river cruise'.  Even though most of the markets will be closed during our cruise, we think we'll still be able to enjoy the holiday decorations and the experience in general.  I'm not sure if we'll fly in early or not...if we do, we'll probably stay in the Amsterdam 'historic district'.  With only 190 passengers, I'm sure we'll meet on board.  (We are two senior citizens from Montana who enjoy visiting new places, meeting new people and making the best of whatever surrounds us.)  

• Like 1

Dianng-  Sounds good!  Spouse and I will be with our youngest (25) daughter and her boyfriend, so we'll be easy to spot.  Should be a great trip.  I think your being from Montana, and us 30 miles south of Canada, the weather won't phase us as much.  Just bring the grippiest boots you have.  Cobblestones may prove interesting.

Notamermaid-  I'm sure Viking will figure Christmas out nicely.  

Just an odd note, we were in Washington DC for Christmas a few years back.  Mount Vernon, George Washington's home in Virginia, was open on Christmas day.   It's owned by a private foundation, so no government restriction, just the drive to make $.  Netherlands is not as religious as Germany, or at least doesn't have 'Blue Laws', so a better chance for Viking, then if we were in Colonge.

My daughters were so disappointed years back when we were in Wurzburg on a Sunday.  Shops were all closed.

11 minutes ago, ural guy said:

Spouse and I will be with our youngest (25) daughter and her boyfriend, so we'll be easy to spot.

So just look for the four kids together and all having fun? 😀

Sorry,  I just couldn't resist 😉 

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, ural guy said:

Notamermaid-  I'm sure Viking will figure Christmas out nicely.  

If the dinner is as good as the decorations on the ship I saw years back then it will be splendid.

16 minutes ago, ural guy said:

Netherlands is not as religious as Germany, or at least doesn't have 'Blue Laws', so a better chance for Viking, then if we were in Colonge.

Yes, the Dutch laws and customs differ from ours. I am sure there will be lots of opportunities to do shopping in Amsterdam.

Christmas Eve is half day closure and 25th and 26th are full day closures in Germany.

notamermaid

• Like 1