Two similar itineraries: one on Royal, one on Carnival

I sailed on my 1st carnival cruise back in Feb,, and it was a one and done for me.  The service was terrible and the small portions in the main dining room were awful., and their version of the buffet was terrible, only one section open and no variety.  The only good thing was Guy's burgers and the pizza,..lol.  

• Like 1

Been on both many years ago. Haven’t been on newer Carnival ships but liked the design of the Spirit class more than others. Really like the Radiance class but Radiance had such a long stretch of plumbing issues my family still calls it the poop ship (though not in Carnival’s league with that moniker). Granted that was many years ago and hopefully things have been fixed. 

I would lean Royal for status perks, but it would really come down to price. 

Edited by silentbob007

Been on a lot of cruises. Carnival has way better food. I actually like Carnival a good bit better than Royal Caribbean but the last few cruises for me have been on Royal Caribbean simply because the itinerary.

Royal Caribbean's food is OK. Service is good. Entertainment on the smaller ships isn't worth going to.  And there are times throughout the day where you literally have one option for food, Park Cafe and it's food is subpar. If I was going on a cruise to the Bahamas/Caribbean, I'd only do Royal Caribbean if it's one of the new huge ships to check out. 

Put a first time cruiser on any mass market ship without the branding or venue names and I bet they can't tell the cruise lines apart.  They all have similar venues(italian restaurant, steakhouse, lounge, etc.).  The Oasis class is what sets Royal apart from the other lines.  If you are not choosing between an Oasis class and another lines ship, I would look at which line has the better deal.  

23 hours ago, KKB said:

Did our 1st Carnival to Hawaii in Jan after 20 cruises on other lines & LOVED it.

THAT BEING SAID--our bartenders said avoid cruises of 7 days or less in Caribbean & MX Riv unless you are into booze cruises.

I'd go RCCL unless prices was hugely different.

7 Days are fine.  Its the 3 & 4 day cruises that are the booze cruises.  

18 minutes ago, Liljo22 said:

7 Days are fine.  Its the 3 & 4 day cruises that are the booze cruises.  

Just quoting my Carnival Miracle bartender, no personal experience here

1 hour ago, cruisegirl1976 said:

I sailed on my 1st carnival cruise back in Feb,, and it was a one and done for me.  The service was terrible and the small portions in the main dining room were awful., and their version of the buffet was terrible, only one section open and no variety.  The only good thing was Guy's burgers and the pizza,..lol.  

Yes I had the same feeling the service was pretty lame, but that just me other people on here think otherwise which is fine also each to their own.

• Like 1