For a weak swimmer, would scuba or snorkeling be easier?

Etta1213

Snorkeling is both easier physically and easier to learn. I would learn how to snorkel first, then take up scuba diving if you like snorkeling. Snorkeling will get you used to breathing in and out through your mouth, which is the same way you will breathe through scuba diving.

3 hours ago, Journey_On said:

Snorkeling is both easier physically and easier to learn. I would learn how to snorkel first, then take up scuba diving if you like snorkeling. Snorkeling will get you used to breathing in and out through your mouth, which is the same way you will breathe through scuba diving.

Thank you.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Etta1213 said:

I am a poor swimmer but would love to be able to snorkel or scuba dive. Which would be easier physically? Which is easier to learn?

@Etta1213

The critical thing is you will be participating in a water sport, so you must be able to be safe in the water. 

Neither sport requires expert swimming, but you do need to be able to swim at a level that will keep you safe in the water.  Additionally, for real enjoyment, both sports require water comfort.

The requirement for scuba diving is that a person must be able to swim continuously for 200 yards, or 300 yards with a mask, snorkel and fins.   There is no time limit for this and any stroke or variety of strokes may be used, but it is required the person not stop.  The other requirement is that a person be able to tread water or float unaided for 10 minutes. 

I'd recommend using these criteria to evaluate yourself for either sport.  Thy provide for the minimum ability to keep oneself safe if separated from the boat or shore briefly by current or other issues, or if one falls in the water accidentally.  If you're going to be in or around water, this level of swimming skill is indicative of the ability to prevent tragedy. 

Since you assess your own swimming ability as poor, I'm understanding you can swim, but that you recognize a deficiency.  The nice thing is with any ability to swim, is it's a skill that improves with practice.  If you use the above criteria, you can easily and safely go to a pool and see how you do.  If you can complete those exercises, then you could move on with training for either sport; and if you have difficulty, perhaps either practice on your own, or seek a bit of swim instruction.  Generally difficulty swimming is is not a lack of ability, but more a poor application of technique. 

As far as which sport is easier to learn; at the entry level snorkeling certainly is since there is no requirement for any formal training.  Scuba diving requires certification, involving study, classroom, pool training, and then evaluation dives.  This is because scuba diving requires the use of equipment and techniques that would be dangerous without proper knowledge.  With snorkeling, though no training is required, I strongly recommend a snorkeling class.  These are typically a 2 or 3 hour class, and they're generally available through dive shops.  Where I teach the cost is $75.00, which is about the cost of a single snorkeling excursion.  Whether they've been snorkeling before or not, people feel they get much more out of snorkeling after taking this course; and it adds value to all their future snorkeling excursions. 

Harris

Denver, CO

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/11/2023 at 11:42 AM, omeinv said:

@Etta1213

The critical thing is you will be participating in a water sport, so you must be able to be safe in the water. 

Neither sport requires expert swimming, but you do need to be able to swim at a level that will keep you safe in the water.  Additionally, for real enjoyment, both sports require water comfort.

The requirement for scuba diving is that a person must be able to swim continuously for 200 yards, or 300 yards with a mask, snorkel and fins.   There is no time limit for this and any stroke or variety of strokes may be used, but it is required the person not stop.  The other requirement is that a person be able to tread water or float unaided for 10 minutes. 

I'd recommend using these criteria to evaluate yourself for either sport.  Thy provide for the minimum ability to keep oneself safe if separated from the boat or shore briefly by current or other issues, or if one falls in the water accidentally.  If you're going to be in or around water, this level of swimming skill is indicative of the ability to prevent tragedy. 

Since you assess your own swimming ability as poor, I'm understanding you can swim, but that you recognize a deficiency.  The nice thing is with any ability to swim, is it's a skill that improves with practice.  If you use the above criteria, you can easily and safely go to a pool and see how you do.  If you can complete those exercises, then you could move on with training for either sport; and if you have difficulty, perhaps either practice on your own, or seek a bit of swim instruction.  Generally difficulty swimming is is not a lack of ability, but more a poor application of technique. 

As far as which sport is easier to learn; at the entry level snorkeling certainly is since there is no requirement for any formal training.  Scuba diving requires certification, involving study, classroom, pool training, and then evaluation dives.  This is because scuba diving requires the use of equipment and techniques that would be dangerous without proper knowledge.  With snorkeling, though no training is required, I strongly recommend a snorkeling class.  These are typically a 2 or 3 hour class, and they're generally available through dive shops.  Where I teach the cost is $75.00, which is about the cost of a single snorkeling excursion.  Whether they've been snorkeling before or not, people feel they get much more out of snorkeling after taking this course; and it adds value to all their future snorkeling excursions. 

Harris

Denver, CO

Thank you for your excellent advice.💜

Snorkeling is much easier. For Try Dive such as at a resort or on a cruise, there are no swimming requirements. But In order to get certified for scuba diving you'll need to be able to swim 300 meters with fins and a snorkel on, swim 50 feet underwater with one breath, and tread water for 10 minutes. I know because I just went through it for my NAUI certification. I had to refresh my swimming skills with six private classes beforehand. 

• 4 weeks later...

Many, if not most, operators require you to wear a life vest if snorkeling.  If you are a poor swimmer, I would reccomend you buy one of your own.  Also, assess how comfortable you are in the water.  It's easy to snorkel when it is calm.  But sometimes it isn't.  And when boats go by, waves come. This could really scare you, or even worse things could happen.  And when diving, water conditions change all the time.  I don't advise you learn to dive until you are a better swimmer.  For example, this past summer in Thailand, the sea was rough.  I jumped in with the divemaster.  It was a full 15 minutes before the rest of the other divers came into the water.  In the meantime, I was being bounced around on the surface by 2 1/2 foot swells waiting for them to get into the water.If Ididn't own my own BCD that was a full wraparound vest that kept me up on the surface, I could have been in trouble.   It was dreadful getting back into the boat as well.