Marseille to Aix by Train - Advice?

Sugarlandsooner

Looking for any help or suggestions. Family of 4 will be in Marseille in 3 weeks and think we would like to see Aix. Train travel looks pretty simple but I haven’t any experience with the area. Is it easy getting from the port to the train station? Traveling with the family DIY cam sometimes be stressful and I would prefer as little stress as possible :). Thanks for any help you can give.

4 hours ago, Sugarlandsooner said:

Family of 4 will be in Marseille in 3 weeks and think we would like to see Aix.

You will all need to get from the cruise terminal at Fos, some way from the city.  Most ships will run shuttle buses to a location close to the Vieux Port, and from there it is a maybe 10 minute max walk to the train station Gare St Charles. where you can get a train to Aix.  Be aware that there is more than one train station in Aix and do not forget after buying them, to validate your tickets in the machines on the platform before boarding  or you risk a fine.

If this will be your first visit to Marseille, there is atually more than enough to fill a day without going to Aix.

Had to add later as I was interrupted and timed out for #1

It is easy to spend time around the Vieux Port, itself worth a visit in its own right and your kids would probably also enjoy the mirrored canopy located there too.And if already in the area next to the Vieux Port, you could wander into the historic  Fort St Jean, part of which is free entry.From here you can cross a footbridge to the ultra modern MUCEM complex.on the waterside which is worth visiting.  (as an aside, your shuttle bus may drop off and pick up from here or  close to it) It is mostly outdoors with walkways and terraces, and some lovely views of the Vieux Port, Notre Dame de la Garde and the Med.  it is a public space and can be enjoyed free of charge by anyone whether local or visitor unless you choose to enter any of the paying exhibitions.  There are seating areas, and cafes and restaurants  and it is a lovely place to stroll whilst admiring the views.  And from there you will be able to see the huge Cathedral de la Major a 5 minute walk away across the road.  It merits a short visit and has free entry.  There is more than enough to see and do which is also easy due to their locations being in close proximity to each other.

There are also short  boat trips on offer from the Vieux Port going to the Chateau d'If (think Count of Monte Cristo) and a couple of other tiny islands, and longer ones to the Calanques of Cassis.  And one of those little tourist trains which tootles around and it goes up to Notre dame de la Garde for the wonderful views and  a couple of HOS. Also a few museums close by too. . And the shopping is excellent.

As I mentioned, there is more than enough to see and do which is also easy due to their locations being in close proximity to each other. without the additional schlep to Aix and back, but it is your day and your choice.

The Official City of Marseille Tourist Info website is a good starting point for info, choose your preferred language, also Tripadvisor and others.

As you will gather, I am a fan of Marseille for a port day, having visited the city many times over a few decades.

Edited by edinburgher
  • Like 2

Moving back to the OPs request, with a group of 4 we would simply try to get a taxi from the port (taxis charge by the taxi...not per person) directly to the train station.  The bus depot is also adjacent to the station so you will actually have two good options, the train or the bus.  Both are pretty fast (think in terms of 30-45 min (the bus is usually faster than the train).  Once at the station you can check the schedules and make a decision on which method better fits the time.

Unlike Edinburgher, we are not big fans of Marseille (we have explored that area) although DW and I can easily spend a day just having a very long lunch of Bouillabaisse :).  Aix is a terrific city for shopping, some museums, and just strolling around the old town.  DW and I always debate whether to have lunch at one of the nice restaurants along the Cours Mirabeau or to simply look for anything inviting in old town.  And yes, we are somewhat obsessed with eating in France :).  We have often been surprised at meeting cruisers who run around France and could care less about food/wine.  When it comes to countries like France, Spain and Italy; food/wine is an important part of their culture.

Hank

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Hlitner said:

Unlike Edinburgher, we are not big fans of Marseille

And it appears that many other cruise pax are not either, as they want to leave for Aix or Cassis before they even arrive, even if they never visited previously.

I do wonder why, because as a destination for a one day port of call it has many advantages and really quite a selection of sights and things to do and see. Founded around 600 BC, and inhabited since then, there is a lot of history to be discovered in local museums.And public transprt has been expanded and is quite easy to use, especially the tram lines which are asmooth, clean and efficient way to move around the city.

I certainly agree that decades ago it used to be a bit of a mess/scruffy with a poor reputation,  but over a period of some years now it has reinvented itself and for some time now has been attracting visitors for short breaks, in addition to new businesses and incoming residents. Becoming a European City of Culture in 2013 was the impetus to begin reinventing itself with a number of new attractions being constructed.

If anyone visited a long time ago were to visit once again, I think they would be pleasantly surprised by the changes.

Someone has to wave the flag and it is usually me.

Edited by edinburgher

Thank you to both of you for the help, I am really torn on what to do that day and you both have given me a lot to think about.  I have heard a lot of negative comments so I thank you @edinburgher for your counter-arguments.  Don't know if my kids will ever get to go back to France so just trying to figure out what will give them their best "French" experience.

13 hours ago, Sugarlandsooner said:

I am really torn on what to do that day and you both have given me a lot to think about

Thanks for at least considering the easier option of staying in the city. You don't say what ages your kids are, but all of the above (including the little train and the HOHO)s are in very close proximity to each other alongside The Vieux Port  or within a 5 minute walk from it, so no other transport would be needed. The Vieux Port is also where the boat trips leave from.

There is an excellent website called Marvellous Provence which is definitely worth dipping into in addition to the Marseille Tourist Info website. With descriptions of both Marseille and Aix it might help you decide.

Marseille is the #2 city in France after Paris.

Should you decide to stay in the city, would you be kind enough to add your comments (good or bad) after returning as these would be helpful to others. Thank You in advance.

Marseille is the #2 city in France after Paris.

Edited by edinburgher
  • Like 1

On 7/11/2023 at 7:10 AM, Hlitner said:

Moving back to the OPs request, with a group of 4 we would simply try to get a taxi from the port (taxis charge by the taxi...not per person) directly to the train station.  The bus depot is also adjacent to the station so you will actually have two good options, the train or the bus.  Both are pretty fast (think in terms of 30-45 min (the bus is usually faster than the train).  Once at the station you can check the schedules and make a decision on which method better fits the time.

Unlike Edinburgher, we are not big fans of Marseille (we have explored that area) although DW and I can easily spend a day just having a very long lunch of Bouillabaisse :).  Aix is a terrific city for shopping, some museums, and just strolling around the old town.  DW and I always debate whether to have lunch at one of the nice restaurants along the Cours Mirabeau or to simply look for anything inviting in old town.  And yes, we are somewhat obsessed with eating in France :).  We have often been surprised at meeting cruisers who run around France and could care less about food/wine.  When it comes to countries like France, Spain and Italy; food/wine is an important part of their culture.

Hank

I spent a few days in Aix after my canal barge cruise last summer.  I lucked out on the location of the apartment I rented, smack in the middle of Cours Mirabeau.  Depending what day you are there, you’ll find an open air marketplace on the Cours.  One day it was hard goods (clothes, jewelry, crafts, etc), another day it was antiques.  A short walk from there is a farmers market.  The streets behind Cours are wonderful for walking and browsing. Hank - my place was next to Nico’s, which I loved for their good entree salads, tasty flavored ice teas and sidewalk people watching.  

1 minute ago, slidergirl said:

I spent a few days in Aix after my canal barge cruise last summer.  I lucked out on the location of the apartment I rented, smack in the middle of Cours Mirabeau.  Depending what day you are there, you’ll find an open air marketplace on the Cours.  One day it was hard goods (clothes, jewelry, crafts, etc), another day it was antiques.  A short walk from there is a farmers market.  The streets behind Cours are wonderful for walking and browsing. Hank - my place was next to Nico’s, which I loved for their good entree salads, tasty flavored ice teas and sidewalk people watching.  

What a fabulous area to live.  I would be as big as a house if I lived in that area for more than a few days :).  We have previously rented apartments in both St Remy and Avignon and used those places as a base.  We have often discussed doing the same in Aix and being near the Cours Mirabeau would be perfect.

Hank

• Like 1

Assuming this to be a port stop with inflexible times, and the OP's low-stress parameter, I vote with Vieux Port. For a first-timer, a few minutes here, a few minutes there, and a wrong turn all add up. If you're curious you could even walk up to St Charles to see if it would have been practical, but I think for a family of 4, it will take more than 10 minutes.

5 hours ago, Sugarlandsooner said:

I believe that’s what we are going to do. Want a relaxing day just seeing the city and culture.

If you do decide to stay in the city, once you return,do please consider adding your comments (positive and negative) on your experiences of the day  as it may benefit future cruise pax.  And maybe mention if any of the suggestions I made above were worth the time.Thank you in advance.

• 1 month later...
On 7/14/2023 at 4:25 AM, Sugarlandsooner said:

I believe that’s what we are going to do. Want a relaxing day just seeing the city and culture.

Just wondering if you did decide to stay in Marseille for your time there, and if so, could you kindly give your honest impression, also  if any of the suggestions I made in the thread were any good as other cruise pax may be interested to read your feedback.

Thanking you in advance.

Edited by edinburgher