Help with first time cruiser on Allure of the Seas

Cruising for the first time in a very long time and first time with a toddler. Going on 7 nighter out of Galveston pretty soon. My partner, my 15 month old, and myself are going with 10 or so other extended family members. I'm taking a pretty laid back approach here since we are going with a toddler who usually goes to bed at around 7p with a long 2-3 hour nap at around noon (on west coast, so may be able to push bedtime back a bit). So I don't have high expectations to make this a jam packed cruise with lots of activities. Plan on largely just seeing where the days take us. That being said, I would like not to end the cruise with some obvious and important things I should have thought of or planned a bit better. My partner and I should also get some free nights to ourselves since we have grandparents available to babysit a night or two. 

I saw some comments about an embarkation to do list that includes scheduling shows, dinner reservations/reschedule my time dining, and kids club check in. We somehow got the Aqua Show booked on night 2, but would also like to see Mama Mia. The app now says it's sold out, but do more spots open up once we are on the ship? The app shows Box Office: Show Reservations at 12pm on embark day as an Event under Entertain. Can I book additional reservations here?

On dining, under the My Account section of the app, it shows My Time Dining, but the only option for most days is 9p. Can I change this? What exactly is this for? And then under Dining in the app, I see The Grande or American Icon Grill (AIG) as options, with the AIG showing dinner only being from 5p-515p. What exactly does this time range mean? And what restaurants can I make reservations for? 

Regarding kids club, I found Royal Babies and Tots as a daycare option, and it says reservations are recommended. How do i make reservations here? Any experience or tips for using this service? 

Finally, any other suggestions or tips would be great. I saw that there are some cool activities, like a ping-pong tourney and 3-on-3 ball. Are those usually too full and not worth doing? 

4 hours ago, bradpitch92 said:

The app now says it's sold out, but do more spots open up once we are on the ship? 

On dining, under the My Account section of the app, it shows My Time Dining, but the only option for most days is 9p. Can I change this? What exactly is this for? And then under Dining in the app, I see The Grande or American Icon Grill (AIG) as options, with the AIG showing dinner only being from 5p-515p. What exactly does this time range mean? And what restaurants can I make reservations for? 

Yes, more slots for shows should become available once on board.

On Allure, the MDR decks were given names (like Grande) but they are all part of the MDR. MTD is typically limited to one of the three decks, the other two are for fixed dining. You don't reserve any of them, you book a table and unfortunately for you, it seems only the very late slots are available for now. The 5:00-5:15 is the time for early traditional dining, which you don't have. I suggest you go to the MDR right after embarkation and try to switch to traditional or some earlier MTD slot. The other option is to just show up (MTD typically starts at 6:30) and hope they can accommodate you without too long of a wait.

There are show slots available when you board. Use the app once you are connected to ship WiFi to try to book or look at the planner for where you can go book in person.

My Time Dining has two lines: one with a reservation and one without. You can always get in the no reservation line though on our sailing MTD didn’t open until 6. 

Also in the planner is an open house for the nursery services (babies and tots). If you want to leave your child with them it costs $6 an hour and reservations are definitely recommended as they can only watch so many kids. You have to schedule with them in person or maybe with a phone call after you initially register.  Inside the kids area there is also a playroom with a mat, toys, and play houses if you just want to take the kid up to play a bit while you watch them. We did that with our son a bit each day. 

Edited by silentbob007
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, bradpitch92 said:

MDR is three levels , all three levels are used for early traditional dining starting around 5pm. After first seating is finished one level is used for MTD and the other two are for late traditional.  MTD starts at 6:45 and second seating traditional is at 8pm. When you made your booking you were offered traditional or MTD.  With MTD you can make reservations starting a 6:45 or just show up any time between 6:45 and 9 pm. With a group of ten you should have all reservations linked to assure you eat together at the same time and in the same restaurant as well as reserving show times and dates.  You will find your dining room deck and you table number on your sea pass at checkin, If you chose MTD it will just have the restaurant name and deck on the sea pass card.  Not Allure but almost identical. 

image.png.d383bce5f2f1d1bb8f88088dc7e6753a.png

14 hours ago, bradpitch92 said:

On dining, under the My Account section of the app, it shows My Time Dining, but the only option for most days is 9p. Can I change this? 

Finally, any other suggestions or tips would be great. I saw that there are some cool activities, like a ping-pong tourney and 3-on-3 ball. Are those usually too full and not worth doing? 

You might be able to change to a fixed dining time if there is room. Usually somewhere in the 5-5:30pm range for early dining (if your app says 5-5:15, 5pm would be the time with a 15 minute grace period) and 8pm for late dining. I would highly suggest keeping your time change in mind - the early dining would feel like 3pm for you! If you used a TA, ask if you can switch to the 8pm dining if you want fixed rather than getting in MTD line without reservations - I can imagine that might be tough with a little one! Or call Royal, or ask in the dining room soon after embarkation. It also might be easier with 10 of you to eat together if you have the fixed dining - if that is something you were hoping for.

The activities may also depend on how full the ship is. We were on Allure in April, on a sold out sailing, and the trivia/games in the bars and lounges were PACKED. We would get there 30 minutes early and not be able to find seats. The scheduled sports activities might be better - we didn't do any of those last time. I WAS disappointed that there seemed to be fewer ping pong tables on Allure than the prior year - my son and husband love to play. The comedy show is pretty fun if you want to try to get a reservation there as well one night. Make sure to take the little one on the carousel! 

11 hours ago, Biker19 said:

Yes, more slots for shows should become available once on board.

On Allure, the MDR decks were given names (like Grande) but they are all part of the MDR. MTD is typically limited to one of the three decks, the other two are for fixed dining. You don't reserve any of them, you book a table and unfortunately for you, it seems only the very late slots are available for now. The 5:00-5:15 is the time for early traditional dining, which you don't have. I suggest you go to the MDR right after embarkation and try to switch to traditional or some earlier MTD slot. The other option is to just show up (MTD typically starts at 6:30) and hope they can accommodate you without too long of a wait.

I guess what i don't understand is what is 'fixed' dining? is this the same as traditional? Can you make reservations? 

11 hours ago, silentbob007 said:

There are show slots available when you board. Use the app once you are connected to ship WiFi to try to book or look at the planner for where you can go book in person.

My Time Dining has two lines: one with a reservation and one without. You can always get in the no reservation line though on our sailing MTD didn’t open until 6. 

Also in the planner is an open house for the nursery services (babies and tots). If you want to leave your child with them it costs $6 an hour and reservations are definitely recommended as they can only watch so many kids. You have to schedule with them in person or maybe with a phone call after you initially register.  Inside the kids area there is also a playroom with a mat, toys, and play houses if you just want to take the kid up to play a bit while you watch them. We did that with our son a bit each day. 

Did you register during the open house? Or do you just show up once you embark on the ship? $6/hour seems like a steal.

1 hour ago, jbrinkm said:

You might be able to change to a fixed dining time if there is room. Usually somewhere in the 5-5:30pm range for early dining (if your app says 5-5:15, 5pm would be the time with a 15 minute grace period) and 8pm for late dining. I would highly suggest keeping your time change in mind - the early dining would feel like 3pm for you! If you used a TA, ask if you can switch to the 8pm dining if you want fixed rather than getting in MTD line without reservations - I can imagine that might be tough with a little one! Or call Royal, or ask in the dining room soon after embarkation. It also might be easier with 10 of you to eat together if you have the fixed dining - if that is something you were hoping for.

The activities may also depend on how full the ship is. We were on Allure in April, on a sold out sailing, and the trivia/games in the bars and lounges were PACKED. We would get there 30 minutes early and not be able to find seats. The scheduled sports activities might be better - we didn't do any of those last time. I WAS disappointed that there seemed to be fewer ping pong tables on Allure than the prior year - my son and husband love to play. The comedy show is pretty fun if you want to try to get a reservation there as well one night. Make sure to take the little one on the carousel! 

I just googled traditional vs my time dining and i think i get it. Although, i don't see how making a reservation under MTD is really THAT different than traditional dining, besides at what time you are eating. Thanks for the tip on the comedy show! I do only see one show on the app at this point, but maybe that will increase once I board. 

33 minutes ago, bradpitch92 said:

I guess what i don't understand is what is 'fixed' dining? is this the same as traditional? Can you make reservations? 

Yea, fixed is traditional and no, you don’t book as you will be assigned a table which you keep for the entire sailing. 

40 minutes ago, bradpitch92 said:

Did you register during the open house? Or do you just show up once you embark on the ship? $6/hour seems like a steal.

I think they run set hours in the first day so may not be open other than during the open house times. We just registered during that time.

21 minutes ago, Biker19 said:

Yea, fixed is traditional and no, you don’t book as you will be assigned a table which you keep for the entire sailing. 

So if you keep the same table, you never have to wait (as long you go in the right time) as that table is yours correct? and if you skip a day, that does not matter?

For the $$ dinner options, I'm guessing those are reservation only and you can do that once you are on board? For prices, are they regular prices or are they "cheaper" ("cheaper" meaning as you have already paid for the basic options, your additional out of pocket costs is only the difference between the normal fare at the basic options and the more expensive fare at the $$ options). 

7 minutes ago, bradpitch92 said:

So if you keep the same table, you never have to wait (as long you go in the right time) as that table is yours correct? and if you skip a day, that does not matter?

For the $$ dinner options, I'm guessing those are reservation only and you can do that once you are on board? For prices, are they regular prices or are they "cheaper" ("cheaper" meaning as you have already paid for the basic options, your additional out of pocket costs is only the difference between the normal fare at the basic options and the more expensive fare at the $$ options). 

Yes, you can go directly to your table every night. If have early seating and you don't show up, they will eventually give your table away to an MTD customer.

The specialty dining can be booked now in the planner or on board - the latter will likely be more expensive. The cost is whatever the cost is. The only value judgment to make is whether whatever that cost is, has a value to you considering you get a "free" meal in the MDR.

Edited by Biker19