Excursion Suggestions for Panama Canal (Pacific Cruise Terminal)

ajtraveler66

I realize that going through the canal is probably the main feature of a Panama Canal cruise.  That said, I'm wondering what some of the other quality 'must-do' things are whenever at port in the Pacific Cruise Terminal.  From the itinerary, it looks as though we are there for a day or more.  (I see excursions for a train ride, an excursion to Panama City ... etc.).  Or is there plenty to do right there in the port area?  

• Like 1

Before we can give recommendation on tours, we need to know which ship you are on, because that tells us if you are going through the original or new locks.  And which direction is your transit?  As far as the cruise terminal…I suppose if security would let you, you could wander around checking out the construction of the fa from finished terminal.  Or you could wander through the marinas, admiring the yachts.  Not sure if there are shops and restaurants there.  Or you could take the fast ferries to the outer islands which I believe the locals use for their beaches.  So, give us more info and we might have more suggestions.  EM

Not knowing when you will be there and the even greater mystery as to what the state of construction will be when you are there makes it a little hard to know how easy it will be to access the nearby commercial areas.  I feel sure that some sort of accommodation will be made to get you from the terminal building to the commercial areas nearby.  Just don't know if it will be convenient to walk.  The pier is in the upper left of the picture and the area where there are shops and restaurants is on the other side of the island (center left in the pic) and on down towards Naos Island.  There are also some similar facilities on Flamenco Island.  Just an aside, the Island is not known as Ft. Grant as indicated in the picture, the island is Perico Island. 

As far as popular tours... trips to see the original locks of Miraflores and the new locks on the Atlantic side, sightseeing in Panama City visiting El Casco Antiguo or a visit to one of the Embara Villages are things you may wish to consider.  There is also a Hop on Hop off bus that makes about a 2 hour trek with various stopping points.

image.thumb.png.9862c1029388be66fb9c0a9a72ab7dd5.png

17 hours ago, Essiesmom said:

Before we can give recommendation on tours, we need to know which ship you are on, because that tells us if you are going through the original or new locks.  And which direction is your transit?  As far as the cruise terminal…I suppose if security would let you, you could wander around checking out the construction of the fa from finished terminal.  Or you could wander through the marinas, admiring the yachts.  Not sure if there are shops and restaurants there.  Or you could take the fast ferries to the outer islands which I believe the locals use for their beaches.  So, give us more info and we might have more suggestions.  EM

We will be on the NCL Bliss.  The cruise starts in LA and goes to Miami.  Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

The Ft. Amador facility has been built as a cruise terminal.  The main problem is that it has beset with delay after delay and the facility has not been completely finished.  The pier is completed and has been used to disembark passengers, but not the terminal proper.  In the past they have provided some sort of shuttle beyond the construction area.  There are restaurants and shopping beyond the where the terminal is located.  Just don't know exactly how things will shake out when you call at Ft. Amador.