Cannes Beaches in the Fall? Relaxing Activities?

brauchtj

I'll be hitting Cannes on September 26th. What is the possibility of making it a beach day (temp wise)? Based on weather sites, it kind of seems like I'd be pushing it, but want to hear first hand from others what they have experienced.

If the beach isn't a reasonable option, what other leisurely activities would you recommend? Previous European trips have been go go go nonstop. I'd really like this trip to be a relaxing one. Any good wineries I could hang out at nearby? 

14 minutes ago, brauchtj said:

I'll be hitting Cannes on September 26th. What is the possibility of making it a beach day (temp wise)? Based on weather sites, it kind of seems like I'd be pushing it, but want to hear first hand from others what they have experienced.

If the beach isn't a reasonable option, what other leisurely activities would you recommend? Previous European trips have been go go go nonstop. I'd really like this trip to be a relaxing one. Any good wineries I could hang out at nearby? 

I lived near Cannes for a few years and I am a beach person. However, the end of September is pushing it weather wise.  Beach facilities start closing down and the water is getting cold. 

There is a tiny and lovely wine area just above Nice.  It is called Bellet. 

For a beautiful relaxing day, rent a car and head up to Saint Roman de Bellet and visit the handful of wineries that comprise the smallest (and one of the oldest) appelation controlée in France. 

The main vineyards are Château de Bellet and Château de Crémat and they can be visited.

https://vindenice.com/home/

belletwine.com

Now you have done it!  Your suggestion has me thinking of a day's driving trip up to the Bellet area, heading a bit North to cross the bridge over the Var, and than working our way over to St Paul de Vence (love this town).  Might be a fun day as long as the driver (me) does not "taste" a lot of wine.

Hank

4 hours ago, Hlitner said:

Now you have done it!  Your suggestion has me thinking of a day's driving trip up to the Bellet area, heading a bit North to cross the bridge over the Var, and than working our way over to St Paul de Vence (love this town).  Might be a fun day as long as the driver (me) does not "taste" a lot of wine.

Hank

Happy to send you on detours.

The road over to Vence goes trough La Gaude and some pretty landscapes.  The Matisse chapel is on that road just before you enter Vence.  Great restaurants there.

When are you there next? 

Edited by marazul

1 hour ago, brauchtj said:

Yeah I’m trying to find the easiest option to get up there now without renting a car. So I can drink to my hearts desire lol I have a feeling this place doesn’t have Uber… lol 

I believe there are day tours to the wineries.  Google it.

2 hours ago, marazul said:

Happy to send you on detours.

The road over to Vence goes trough La Gaude and some pretty landscapes.  The Matisse chapel is on that road just before you enter Vence.  Great restaurants there.

When are you there next? 

Not until next April.  We booked a Oceania Vista cruise that stops in Monte Carlo and Villefranche for two long port days.  We noticed that it is in Villefranche on a Sunday which recalls about forty years ago when we ask a French singer, on the old Regent Spirit, what to do on Sundays in Nice and he immediately said, "go to St Paul de Vence."  That area has remained a personal favorite ever since that first visit.  We have been looking for an excuse to revisit the Maeght Fondation and the ole mind still works wonders when planning days in that region.  We have always enjoyed visiting St Paul de Vence on Sundays when we can usually watch some of the locals play boules just outside the town entrance.

The challenge will be finding a rental car.  The one company that used to rent at Villefrance (rentacar.fr) no longer has a location at that tender port.  Worst case, it might mean having to trek into Nice just to get a car and that is a royal pain and not very efficient.  And since we are talking about a Sunday, it would likely mean going all the way out to the Nice airport to find any agency that is open :(.

Hank

32 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

Not until next April.  We booked a Oceania Vista cruise that stops in Monte Carlo and Villefranche for two long port days.  We noticed that it is in Villefranche on a Sunday which recalls about forty years ago when we ask a French singer, on the old Regent Spirit, what to do on Sundays in Nice and he immediately said, "go to St Paul de Vence."  That area has remained a personal favorite ever since that first visit.  We have been looking for an excuse to revisit the Maeght Fondation and the ole mind still works wonders when planning days in that region.  We have always enjoyed visiting St Paul de Vence on Sundays when we can usually watch some of the locals play boules just outside the town entrance.

The challenge will be finding a rental car.  The one company that used to rent at Villefrance (rentacar.fr) no longer has a location at that tender port.  Worst case, it might mean having to trek into Nice just to get a car and that is a royal pain and not very efficient.  And since we are talking about a Sunday, it would likely mean going all the way out to the Nice airport to find any agency that is open :(.

Hank

Sounds good.  We have a couple of SB cruises next year. A lot of family events this year, so no Europe.  I am sure we'll meet on board one of these days. 

I  am afraid the airport may be your only choice on a Sunday. You could go to St Paul first and then across to Bellet. The road back is along the Var river and straight to the airport. The traffic is not bad in April.

1 hour ago, marazul said:

Sounds good.  We have a couple of SB cruises next year. A lot of family events this year, so no Europe.  I am sure we'll meet on board one of these days. 

I  am afraid the airport may be your only choice on a Sunday. You could go to St Paul first and then across to Bellet. The road back is along the Var river and straight to the airport. The traffic is not bad in April.

We are used to driving in this region (on extended land trips) and I am not too concerned about traffic issues.  But having to go all the way to the airport (and returning a car to the airport) to get a car is one of those port day hassles we prefer to avoid.  We have plenty of time to consider options.  We could just get lazy and head into Nice for the Flower Market and perhaps grab the bus over to Eze.  That would be a lazy day (and not very adventurous).  But you have planted that Bellet idea in my psyce and I do not like to accept failure :).  That cruise has 21 ports and I suspect we will do at least 18 DIY!  Lots to think about which is always part of the fun.

Hank

I know you do. We always drive in that area too.  We are very familiar with it and when we lived there I used to be the tour guide for our visitors.

The only issue with driving during your port day is the extra time it takes to return the car and get back to the port. It should be less congested in April.

While looking up other stuff in the area I came across a couple of half-day wine tasting tours to Bellet.  That would let you do a lot of tasting! Maybe they could pick you up at the lobby of one of the hotels near the Flower Market and return you to the ship.

Edited by marazul

28 minutes ago, marazul said:

I know you do. We always drive in that area too.  We are very familiar with it and when we lived there I used to be the tour guide for our visitors.

The only issue with driving during your port day is the extra time it takes to return the car and get back to the port. It should be less congested in April.

While looking up other stuff in the area I came across a couple of half-day wine tasting tours to Bellet.  That would let you do a lot of tasting! Maybe they could pick you up at the lobby of one of the hotels near the Flower Market and return you to the ship.

We have never rented (or returned) a car at the Nice Cote d'Azur airport.  I have no clue of the steps in moving between the train stop and rental car dealers.   As you know, this kind of thing is just routine for most travelers, but I am wondering just how much time and hassle it involves.  And than there is the all-too-common European issue of long and slow-moving lines at rental car agencies (even if one has the appropriate status to normally skip the line).  Sounds like a small issue, but it is the difference between spending a few minutes picking up a car or standing in a queue for an hour!  We have never met any frequent traveler who had much good to say about dealing with any rental car agency:(. 

Most recently, we had to pick up a rental car in Seattle after debarking from a cruise.  The queue was out the door and it took us a very long 50 minutes to get to the counter where it took less than 2 minutes to complete our transaction.  The problem was that many of the renters had no status with the agency and their processing took at least 10-15 minutes!  We overheard the office manager on the phone arguing that he needed more help...NOW!  And that was Budget in the USA.  Things in France are often much worse.

Hank

On 7/12/2023 at 6:57 PM, Hlitner said:

We have never rented (or returned) a car at the Nice Cote d'Azur airport.

We have only rented at the airport because we generally fly in to Nice for a stay.

There is a new Car Rental Center in a dedicated building next to the P5 Parking deck and across from Terminal 2.  All major agencies are there.  We use europcar.  Maybe we have been lucky, but we haven't had major delays getting the car.

There are free trams that take you from the Saint Agustin train station to Terminals 1 and 2.  There is also a pedestrian walkway between the station and Terminal 1.

There are free shuttles (navettes) that go around from the terminals to all parking decks every 15 minutes..

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/11/2023 at 8:10 PM, marazul said:

I lived near Cannes for a few years and I am a beach person. However, the end of September is pushing it weather wise.  Beach facilities start closing down and the water is getting cold. 

There is a tiny and lovely wine area just above Nice.  It is called Bellet. 

For a beautiful relaxing day, rent a car and head up to Saint Roman de Bellet and visit the handful of wineries that comprise the smallest (and one of the oldest) appelation controlée in France. 

The main vineyards are Château de Bellet and Château de Crémat and they can be visited.

https://vindenice.com/home/

belletwine.com

Marazul, 

Since you are familiar with Cannes, is there an economical way to get to Nice without renting a car? I've tried to book with a tour company we used last to see "The Best of the French Riviera". We may be happy to just spend some time in Nice and Cannes. Thanks in advance for any help you can give. 

52 minutes ago, Cruisingmarmi said:

Marazul, 

Since you are familiar with Cannes, is there an economical way to get to Nice without renting a car? I've tried to book with a tour company we used last to see "The Best of the French Riviera". We may be happy to just spend some time in Nice and Cannes. Thanks in advance for any help you can give. 

Yes. Take the train.  There are two or three trains each hour depending on the time of day.  These are regional TER commuter trains and you buy tickets at the station. No reservations are needed.  All trains that go through Cannes will go to Nice and on.  You can't get lost.  The ride takes 30 minutes. The trains stop at Antibes before getting to Nice if you also would like to visit there.  The first Nice station is Nice St. Augustin. Don't get out there.  The next station is the main station for Nice.  You can also go on to Monaco if you wish.  

Look at google maps for the walking route from the port to the train station in Cannes and also from the Nice station to the Flower Market. 

3 hours ago, marazul said:

Yes. Take the train.  There are two or three trains each hour depending on the time of day.  These are regional TER commuter trains and you buy tickets at the station. No reservations are needed.  All trains that go through Cannes will go to Nice and on.  You can't get lost.  The ride takes 30 minutes. The trains stop at Antibes before getting to Nice if you also would like to visit there.  The first Nice station is Nice St. Augustin. Don't get out there.  The next station is the main station for Nice.  You can also go on to Monaco if you wish.  

Look at google maps for the walking route from the port to the train station in Cannes and also from the Nice station to the Flower Market. 

Thank you SO much!