Barcelona on our own

Oceanann

On 7/18/2023 at 10:33 AM, Oceanann said:

Thank you for all the great info! I was thinking we'd see Sagrada Familia, Park Guell, ride the bus some and walk through the Gothic Quarter, is that too ambitious? 

No - that's easy to do (and pretty much what we did last visit there). Pre-book your tickets for Sagrada for 9am. Get a taxi there - it's cheap and not far from the port. Then do those other options.. have lunch somewhere in the Gothic quarter or down La Rambla. Easy-peasy. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, taylortime05 said:

We’re in Barcelona 2 1/2 days the end of September prior to getting on a Celebrity Reflection cruise which ends in Rome.  We’re staying at the Monument which is not very far from Gaudi's Casa Battló.  Do you recommend a tour for Casa Battle?    On the website they offer a 1 hour visit + 1 hour concert with a drink.  image.thumb.png.4929c7c1faf90140804ef27cbf3b4871.png

Yes, you should see it inside. The façade is wonderful, but the inside is just as important. I would pick the blue or silver option.  A rooftop concert would be great at the end of September.  

18 hours ago, taylortime05 said:

We’re in Barcelona 2 1/2 days the end of September prior to getting on a Celebrity Reflection cruise which ends in Rome.  We’re staying at the Monument which is not very far from Gaudi's Casa Battló.  Do you recommend a tour for Casa Battle?    On the website they offer a 1 hour visit + 1 hour concert with a drink.  image.thumb.png.4929c7c1faf90140804ef27cbf3b4871.png

Apparently concerts have been added. Our only option was a self-guided audio-tour that we thoroughly enjoyed and recommend.

• 2 months later...
On 7/19/2023 at 10:53 AM, marazul said:

And I agree with Adventures.

I strongly suggest that Oceanann skip the ho-ho bus.  It would be a waste of time.  And for that matter, given the time they have available, I would also skip the Park Güell and take a taxi from SF to Casa Batlló.  After visiting CB, walk up and down the Passeig de Gracia and grab some lunch.  Then go down Las Ramblas as far as Carrer de Colom, turn left and go to the Plaça Reial.  From there make their way across the Gothic Quarter to the Cathedral (just like the Runner Bean tour).  Make sure they walk through Plaça del Pi and Plaça Sant Jaume on the way to the Cathedral. If they have time, go to nearby Santa Maria del Mar church which also has very good tapas bars across from the entrance. Then a taxi to the ship. 

Runner Bean's free tours are at 11 am and 4:30 pm.  However, they would also give you a private tour at whatever time you choose, say 2 pm. https://runnerbeantours.com/

The description of the free tour is:

https://runnerbeantours.com/tours/free-tours-barcelona-gothic-quarter/#tour_hightlights

What would you suggest to tip the guide for the Runner Bean free tour?  

1 hour ago, breadmanusa said:

What would you suggest to tip the guide for the Runner Bean free tour?  

It's almost a 3 hour tour. Our guide worked hard, was engaging and informative. We tipped 20 each, but I saw many others handing out 10 euros. A conventional group tour would cost you a lot more. A few people stiffed the guide. 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, marazul said:

It's almost a 3 hour tour. Our guide worked hard, was engaging and informative. We tipped 20 each, but I saw many others handing out 10 euros. A conventional group tour would cost you a lot more. A few people stiffed the guide. 

Do we have to tip in Euros or can we use US Dollars?

42 minutes ago, breadmanusa said:

Please, be considerate and tip in the local currency.  

Tipping in US$ requires the guide to go to the bank and get a lousy exchange rate for changing a few bills. Some guides would be able to exchange informally with others who may need $s for traveling to the US. But you are not doing anyone any favors by tipping in a foreign currency. Would a guide in FL appreciate a tip in euros or consider it a hassle?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, breadmanusa said:

Just think in one citizen from Barcelona going to Miami and tipping.

May he had to tip in euro or in dollars?

Obviously, all of them are money but...